Poll: Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Mortal Kombat 9

Street Fighter.

Mortal Kombat is both cheesy and low skill. There is no art in Mortal Kombat.

Both were great back in the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I had to pick between just the two it would depend on the circumstances. If we are talking about the literal first entries into the series then Mortal Kombat 1 was way better then Street Fighter 1. If we are talking about series I would have to go with Street Fighter as my more preferred series over Mortal Kombat.

However my favorite fighting series of all time is Fatal Fury, all of the games including the Real Bouts and Mark of the Wolves(didn't care to much about the 3D one). I love the characters, the 80s/early 90s feel of the series and a lot of SNK series, the awesome music, and I love the 2-plane combat system much more then any other series. My favorite fighter of all time would have to be either Fatal Fury 3 or possibly Real Bout 3 with the only other game fighting for the spot being possibly Marvel vs Capcom 2 just because of how over the top and fast paced it is. Other runner up fighters for me would be WakuWaku 7, Dark Stalkers 3, Evil Zone, the Power Instinct series, Capcom Fighting Evolution and Ring of Destruction.

Also the Smash Bros series I consider one of my favorite series but I know a lot of people seem to not consider that a true fighting game.

Street Fighter II turbo!

Mortal Kombat seems to have WAY better balance. There are some blatantly, and I mean BLATANTLY overpowered Street Fighter characters.

Parrying in Street Fighter 3:

"Parrying, sometimes known as teching, is done by tapping forward for high attacks and down for low attacks at the moment of impact. It enables the person who parries to avoid damage or to counter-attack without block or hit stun.

Parrying is one of the most key aspects of Street Fighter 3. It's very important to know when — and when not to parry.

Some players like to go, "parry happy," and attempt to parry each and every move of their opponent. The problem? They end up taking a lot of damage attempting to guess correctly.

You should attempt a parry when you're pretty sure what's coming. For example, if your opponent has attempted a jump-in attack and then a sweep the last three times, there's a good chance he's going to go for it a fourth time.

There's always going to be a certain amount of guessing when attempting to parry, but if you find yourself eating a lot of hits you could have avoided by simply blocking correctly, try parrying a little less."

10+ Year Old Account
    The earlier Mortal kombats back when reptile was a ninja and the fighting style switches and street fighter was just as if not more cheesy as Mortal kombat chain hadouken spam is skill? even the ai did it

If you gave a more open ended question Soul caliber and Killer instinct were better then both choices
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

10+ Year Old Account
    Never been a fan of street fighter, always liked mortal kombat. Subzero is win.

I may get flame by Mortal Kombat lovers but

The only reason why MK was big bag in the day of Snes is because of all the bones and decapitations.

A game called Carmageddo was rather controversial at that time (a time where internet wasn't a common good) because it involved killing humans. It wouldn't be half as populair if it was just another race game because it would have gotten much less attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing will replace the memory's of playing Street fighter (Forgot which one) on the Sega with my cousin about 10 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcor View Post
    Is it?

Cause I have friends who play nothing but fighting games and pride themselves on being fighting game elitests like that guy sounded.

They have a fighting stick and everything and I just spam moves and win.

/shrug
    Your friends are not as good as they may seem if they lose to mashing. SF4 is subject to a little more mashing viability with wake-up ultras and such but any decent player with an understanding of the roster isn't gonna fall for a lot of stuff that works online (DP spamming Ken, for instance). Feel free to go to a decent sized tourney and try the "When in doubt, mash it out." At least SF4 isn't like MvC3 where it's X-factor to win, amirite? [/Sanford]

There's so much in SF with things like crouch-tech, meatys, target combos, other option selects, parrying in 3rd strike and FADCs in SF4 that the general layman doesn't pick up on. Most fighting games have that. A new or casual player won't understand the intricacies of dust in Guilty Gear. They probably won't figure out how to vortex safely with Ibuki in SF. Hell, they probably wouldn't figure out how to avoid Clark's invincible command grab in KoF.

I've honestly never found MK to be an extremely deep fighting game series. I'll be honest and admit my bias in that I really haven't given it a decent amount of time, even though I love me some Kung Lao. I think they successfully rebooted the series with MK9, though. The N64/PS2 releases were just lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    Mortal Kombat seems to have WAY better balance. There are some blatantly, and I mean BLATANTLY overpowered Street Fighter characters.
    Maybe in 3rd strike but who is god tier in SSF4AE?

10+ Year Old Account
    Mortal Fighting Street Kombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fatality vs no fatality. How can this even be a discussion?

Deleted
    streetfighter by a country mile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post

The only reason why MK was big bag in the day of Snes is because of all the bones and decapitations.
    There was no gore on the SNES version of MK1