Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is this a joke...?

http://minecraftedu.com/index.php

please tell me this is not legit going to happen

10+ Year Old Account
    hm.....im not sure what to think of this.

part of me is glad to see minecraft making it into classrooms... But most of me is trying desperately to find a reason for teachers to be using this as an education tool.

Redstone is quite an interesting circuit tool, at least. And maybe art projects?.... There's a few possible interesting uses, I think

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only see this as working in a computer animation class or something...but not much else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Logical thinking, problem solving, basics of circuitry, knowledge of design, creative thinking, increasing interactions between student and teacher, giving the student something they might actually want to do. And its damn fun. I dont really see the problem here?
    My Youtube videos. Co op gaming. A work in progress, but check em out, you might get a laugh.

oh, i don't have a problem with it, i just don't know what they're specifically going to teach with minecraft that they would have trouble teaching without it. i thought of redstone as well, but apart from that, all i can think of, really, is spacial reasoning... which isn't really a classroom thing, that's more of an IQ/intelligence testing thing.

then again, i can't remember any exact lesson i was taught in elementary school, so perhaps i'm forgetting certain things schools try to teach besides the obvious math, reading, writing, history, science, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Irishform View Post
    Logical thinking, problem solving, basics of circuitry, knowledge of design, creative thinking, increasing interactions between student and teacher, giving the student something they might actually want to do. And its damn fun. I dont really see the problem here?
    I can kind of see that, but we already have classes that specialize in these sorts of things.

The best one to stand out as being more efficient is creative thinking, but even that's a push because teaching it via in-life applications will still be more effective at allowing people to actually apply their studies. Maybe for video game design? But designers need to try out a plethora of games just like movie critics before they can really design or access the work itself, so most designers would of messed around with minecraft before regardless.

Traditional art, mathematics, and architectural design will be more applicable to the real world than minecraft can be.

If you've never heard of the Minecraft teacher just look him up and listen. He started teaching younger kids with it, and as others have said it has a LOT to teach.

Deleted
    after a nosey on twitter, this is all legit

MinecraftEdu beta is out! - For all of you that have pre purchased MinecraftEdu or have made the generous... tmblr.co/Ze1hqwBUXsKl

@MinecraftTeachr @carlmanneh Is MicraftEdu official?

@NaNdummy @carlmanneh It sure is!

10+ Year Old Account
    If you hit the train tracks you've gone to far.
    Well the technology kids are growing up with these days it doesn't surprise me if they try something more this decade. There are many many uses a teacher could use Minecraft for and if anything it will be an incentive for kids to WANT to go to school instead of HAVING to go to school. This is like Oregon Trail except with less drowning and disease they're lucky

Deleted
    Red Stone circuits would be a very invaluable way of learning the various Gates in Physics. Not to mention the creativity factor; it makes sense in my personal opinion.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heringer91 View Post
    http://minecraftedu.com/index.php

please tell me this is not legit going to happen
    can you tell me why it must be a joke? whats wrong with a teacher tryin to make learning fun? tell me you never play Oregon's trail in school?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    can you tell me why it must be a joke? whats wrong with a teacher tryin to make learning fun? tell me you never play Oregon's trail in school?
    i never played oregon's trail in school... never even heard of it until now

But honestly what can you learn from mine craft? not a whole not, and as previous people have mentioned, theres much better ways to learn those things

It's a joke. The minecraft hand-painted pic hints at that. So does the dead "brought to you by" link.

Deleted
    oh sounds fun

Deleted
    I don't even have a clue why I'm clicking on a Minecraft-link.

10+ Year Old Account
    That'd be pretty fun imo

Maybe for art classes?

Deleted
    that's mega, wish i could have learn't with minecraft.

Minecraft redstone actually can teach you more about engineering and what not than the OP actually knows.

For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB684ym3QY4

Other than that I could only guess some architects in training would actually look into.