Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Online Gaming of future, Game Identification number?

Anonymity in online gaming is too big now.

Compare it with earlier WoW realm, where it was only with BG-only server.
    Grouping with dungeon with server-only. You have to care about your reputation, to make network. So, You Will Be asked in future for grouping again.

You ninja'd? That whole server knew, you had to create new character to have chance again for dungeon grouping.

That time, when you cannot hide your own mistakes, but many patches later.
    Anomymity has become too big, too much harsh words without consequences.
    You are grouping with different people, and after 1 hour, you might see them never again. Then it created somehow a culture that you can blame/say harsh words. "Why show respect towards people when you will never look them again?
    Norms and values ​​are gone, social rules are gone.

It is becoming more more worse, you see it as well in other games.
    Heroes of Newerth to think or League of Legends where some terrible words to be used.
    So horrible community most of times.

In reality, you do not use these words. Otherwise lose your friends, your friends will be mad at you.
    What you need to apologize for this, social rules are clear.
    But in online gaming, these people do not learn.

Sometime, people just wished thats my mom would go dead.
    And fuck with my mom, These Words. That can't be allowed huh? They can go away without carrying Consequences.

What can we do about mm?
    Video - Gaming is so great in Things That Began so long ago When Ping Pong created. Then it evolved to many so great games, like Zelda, Mario, Halo and WoW. But community is falling apart, not respecting each other anymore.

Can this trend keep going on?
    I really don't know, I like WoW, but these things are making games so broken..

How about the future, other online-games in future mm?

What should be best solution to stop these things, and create the normal social rules back into games??
    Values, norms, social rules like the reality.
    Maybe some kind of Game passport, that every people can go into your profile and see your photo reality??!!
    And so social rules will come back, since you can't go away with using harsh words alone.

If you behave it badly, then they won't play anymore with you. So you had to carry those consequences, just like in the reality.
    Your game passport will receive a warning, if you keep going on. Then you will be banned. And your parents will know about that.
    Unless you are 18+. Something like that.

What do you think about this, do you feel that same way?
    Last edited by Zenjie; 2011-11-08 at 10:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... Blizz scrapped forum ID after the massive protest from the community, but they'll allow a virtual document with a photo.... right...

Not only will that be met with huge hostility by the majority of customers if the ID incident is any indication, this is also beyond the amount of control even most major corporations are willing to exercise on their consumers.

What would my personal hypothetical reaction be if a game I'm paying for also asked me to create an electronic ID with my photo on it? I'd tell them to f*** off and leave their website.

But that's just me.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    Yeah... Blizz scrapped forum ID after the massive protest from the community, but they'll allow a virtual document with a photo.... right...

Not only will that be met with huge hostility by the majority of customers if the ID incident is any indication, this is also beyond the amount of control even most major corporations are willing to exercise on their consumers.

What would my personal hypothetical reaction be if a game I'm paying for also asked me to create an electronic ID with my photo on it? I'd tell them to f*** off and leave their website.

But that's just me.
    Yea I know, would do same.
    But if government somehow agreed with all of other countries that passport would be included into gaming as well?
    So, it is a MUST for every online-gaming mm?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenjie View Post
    Yea I know, would do same.
    But if government somehow agreed with all of other countries that passport would be included into gaming as well?
    So, it is a MUST for every online-gaming mm?
    The government wouldn't bother, they have multi-billion-dollar-profits-a-year companies to deal with (oil, agriculture etc).

And as to whether such a document would improve gaming culture? I don't believe so.

Only if it were inforced in a Draconian manner, but then we wouldn't have WoW, TOR or GW2. We would have virtual simulators of Nazi Germany.

You can't change human nature, man.

Gaming used to be a more or less an isolated sector of business, with precious little fans over the world. Now it's becoming more popular, you can't stop this, the genie is out of the bottle.

Human nature will now take its course, as all the people that have almost nothing in common with the gamers of 80s and 90s will pour in. Not everyone who joined the gaming community in the new millennium are excessively stupid or selfish, but there's certainly a few new types of gamers among them. The kids that get every toy in the shop by making a scene with their parents, the teens that think they hate the whole world and want to show that in video games, the guys who consider every PC game should operate the same way as the games on their iPhone - easy, casual, just a way to kill off an hour or so during a boring class or after doing homework, not something to be immersed in or to be challenged by.

Shit has hit the fan, and we can only hope that it won't fly around too fast now.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-08 at 10:43 PM.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Geesh, this is hard.

Well, i do believe that government somehow does care about it.
    Maybe the government section of "raising child and education".
    Parents will be dealt with childs that are so bullied by online-gaming and copying their behaviour so on.

Then that section will think about how to solve this problem...

I just feel, this way of anonymity can't keep going on forever.

Deleted
    Or we could all grow a thicker skin and not get offended at every remark.
    That might be a bit easier than overhauling online accounts and profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post
    Or we could all realize that there are human beings on the other end and treat them with the dignity and respect that we would want to be treated with.

I agree with you to a certain point, but there is only so much abuse that someone can take before it starts to seriously affect them. And there are some topics that are very touchy with people because of personal experience. You wouldn't make rape jokes around your friend who was a victim of rape, would you?

Sadly, I think that even doing something like this wouldn't change anything. It's just the nature of the beast at this point. Short of putting all your personal information up for all to see, there really isn't a way to stop people from acting like asshats. Even if you do, they WILL find ways to get around it, they always have.

I like my anonymity thank you very much. I like being able to say things that I normally wouldn't for a number of different reasons (personal of job related).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Or we could all realize that there are human beings on the other end and treat them with the dignity and respect that we would want to be treated with.

I agree with you to a certain point, but there is only so much abuse that someone can take before it starts to seriously affect them. And there are some topics that are very touchy with people because of personal experience. You wouldn't make rape jokes around your friend who was a victim of rape, would you?

Sadly, I think that even doing something like this wouldn't change anything. It's just the nature of the beast at this point. Short of putting all your personal information up for all to see, there really isn't a way to stop people from acting like asshats. Even if you do, they WILL find ways to get around it, they always have.

I like my anonymity thank you very much. I like being able to say things that I normally wouldn't for a number of different reasons (personal of job related).
    As I said, beating human nature with a "mechanical solution" only leads to even worse sides of human nature manifesting.

People act like asshats because we are all asshats deep inside. The only difference is that some realize that and try to keep themselves in check, and others (for some reason or other) remain oblivious and are governed by those urges.

Removing anonymity from the equation would only create other problems in place of the current ones. Most probably, however, it would just be a pathetic sham unless the "punishments" would be strictly enforced. Which seems unlikely to me since that holds no source of revenue for the corporate/government entities involved.

I'm not trolling, but i enjoy pissing people off in the game... why? It's amusing to see how angry people get of the littlest of things. For example, when im bored, i log onto my warrior and just ninja loot... or i'll log on my hunter and MD people then leave group. Calling people bad in general will sometimes get their goat and have them rage, it's fun. Like what the other guy said above me, just grow a thicker skin and learn to tolerate what people do. Just because you have a vision of how everything should work in MMO's doesn't mean it has to be that way... if you're really tired of getting insulted over a video game, quit, no one is saying "You have to play this game and get insulted or else you're dead".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by happydog1337 View Post
    I'm not trolling, but i enjoy pissing people off in the game... why? It's amusing to see how angry people get of the littlest of things. For example, when im bored, i log onto my warrior and just ninja loot... or i'll log on my hunter and MD people then leave group. Calling people bad in general will sometimes get their goat and have them rage, it's fun. Like what the other guy said above me, just grow a thicker skin and learn to tolerate what people do. Just because you have a vision of how everything should work in MMO's doesn't mean it has to be that way... if you're really tired of getting insulted over a video game, quit, no one is saying "You have to play this game and get insulted or else you're dead".
    I see no difference between ninja looting to piss people off and peeing on somebody's welcome mat.

Only in the second case, you're rightfully perceived as an idiot who ruins someone else's property out of the desire for cheap vulgar mischief (aka "d1ckhead", "jackass" or any other similar word your neighbor might throw at you for doing that), and in the first case you're just "amused to see how angry people get over a simple game lolololol".

I never said that it has to be mine way.. it is just an example that i can think of...

Come on, "FUCK YOUR MOM, YOUR MOM IS SO UGLY". These words should be handled somehow.
    Anonymity is ok, but players have to think of their words, these words can impact personally to everyone.

I don't believe these system "Anonymity" stay unchanged in 5 years. Something has to come for internet+online-gaming users.
    ID numbers to use internet or so.
    Internet + onlinegaming are kinda new in our world. Government still need to get used to and see whats so much wrong with it...

My country government is thinking to forbid using burka in public. Its kinda same to online-gamers where anonymity is too big.

I hope you get treated with the same decency and respect you show others online. Do you do this in real life too?

I am directly calling you out here: you are what's wrong with online gaming, and the community as a whole would be better if you either decided to be a normal human being, or just stopped playing online.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not trolling, but i enjoy pissing people off in the game...
    You can call me any name in the book. I could care less. Though, when you start wasting my time, that has nothing to do with thick skin.

Why dont you go to your local grocery market, and piss people off there?
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope you get treated with the same decency and respect you show others online. Do you do this in real life too?

I am directly calling you out here: you are what's wrong with online gaming, and the community as a whole would be better if you either decided to be a normal human being, or just stopped playing online.
    You do realize that you're validating him by bothering to "call him out", that's exactly the reason he does what he does. The same reason people troll internet forums: to get a rise out of others and feel like they are meaningful and have power over something. "Lulz I made you angry, therefore I must be smart and original!".
    When confronted, they'll answer you that they're doing this to "remind everyone that this is just a game and I should be able to have fun however I want and you should stop overreacting."

The more appropriate thing to say here is that this kind of behavior is not original, nor is it anything different from giving wedgies, stuffing smaller kids into lockers, or spray-painting "Principle Jones had sex with a goat" on the school wall.

It's a sign of a lack of purpose and intellect.

"Lolololol I ninjaed that trinket you grinded for a month. U mad bro?"

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    You can call me any name in the book. I could care less. Though, when you start wasting my time, that has nothing to do with thick skin.

Why dont you go to your local grocery market, and piss people off there?
    I actually do and the funny thing is, people can't do anything about it... Why don't they? Well it's because i bodybuild and i give off that intimidating factor... I respect people who can get over things and just be Dgaf, but i love to pick apart the weak who get pissed off easily.

it's a form of bullying, if he's doing that trash shit that he is saying he does. Child psychology shows a large majority of kids who are bullies have a disruptive home environment. This is no different. He most likely does not act like this IRL, he has to come online and make other people feel like shit and make them mad because this gives him a sense of self-worth. And the sad part is, he knows and will get away with it because he has a monitor to hide behind.

I've been to a lot of local LANs (to watch mostly) and 99% of the people who are genuine shit talkers (not talking about a competitive "GET OWNED" after an ace in CS, talking about people who get personal and go out of their way to try to make you feel bad) are all of a sudden 'OMG HI DUDE, WHAT'S UP, SO YOU'RE <name> huh.'

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually do and the funny thing is, people can't do anything about it... Why don't they?
    Because they dont want to catch a felony by hitting a child. I was excited when they were going to publish names on the forums. I just wish people would understand that time is precious. If you have nothing better to do other than ruin everyone elses time, you need to find something better for you to do.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Idontlikeyou View Post
    Because they dont want to catch a felony by hitting a child. I was excited when they were going to publish names on the forums. I just wish people would understand that time is precious. If you have nothing better to do other than ruin everyone elses time, you need to find something better for you to do.
    Oh and you're the master of masters to say how time is spent? So how i spend my time is wasteful... but you spending 3 hours a day 4 times a week slaying dragons is a much much better way of spending time? I can smell your arrogance through my monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    it's a form of bullying, if he's doing that trash shit that he is saying he does. Child psychology shows a large majority of kids who are bullies have a disruptive home environment. This is no different. He most likely does not act like this IRL, he has to come online and make other people feel like shit and make them mad because this gives him a sense of self-worth. And the sad part is, he knows and will get away with it because he has a monitor to hide behind.

I've been to a lot of local LANs (to watch mostly) and 99% of the people who are genuine shit talkers (not talking about a competitive "GET OWNED" after an ace in CS, talking about people who get personal and go out of their way to try to make you feel bad) are all of a sudden 'OMG HI DUDE, WHAT'S UP, SO YOU'RE <name> huh.'
    That's quite irrelevant. He can be as aggressive and jerkish IRL as in-game for all intents and purposes.

What's the difference between griefing people in the real world an in WoW, especially when you're sure there won't be any consequences? Almost nothing.

The only one being that in the real world, if you're picking on a depressed-looking dude in a bar, thinking he looks too weak/beat down to retaliate, he might just be at the end of his rope, snap and poke you in the face with a broken bottle. And then you'll need plastic surgery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiceDice View Post

this to be honest.

and people should remember that the people they are talking to online are other people, and just because they are anonymous it doesnt mean that can act like a dick to everyone. but people should also stop being offended so easily, and so what if you're offended by what some random said online, just ignore them :\