Page 1 of 2
LastLast

NBA fans anyone?

Any fellow NBA fans here? I was hoping I could find someone to rant to about this lockout. I'm a New Jersey Nets fan (I know I know, they suck) and I am pissed off I won't get to see them play their last season in Newark because of this stupid ass lockout. I hear a lot of people say "eww who cares about the NBA, football baby!". Yeah that's all fine and dandy, but watching the NBA during the winter months isn't just about watching greedy millionaires play with a ball, it's about a distraction from the shittyness of life for two hours each night. For the most part, life sucks. We wake up, go to a shitty job in order to survive, come home, and do it all over the next day for the next 80 years. Becoming a hardcore fan of the Nets, it gave me something everyday to take my mind off everything, and just enjoy watching one of the worst teams in the league get destroyed day in and day out. It provided me laughs, tears, and anger, but most of all I was enjoying myself. But now with this lockout, I'm convinced that the owners and players need to be buried five feet below the surface and have their money given to all the fans and employees that are losing their job because of this lockout. GOD I AM PISSED OFF. FUCK YOU NBA.

please no "no one cares about the nba gtfo" posts!

I miss it a bit (go Suns), but honestly with football (and a lesser extent, ice hockey) going on at the same time as basketball normally does anyways, I can see why people don't care as much.

Much like with the football lockout, it's all about greed in both sides, except in this odd circumstance a lot NBA teams lose money (unlike owning an NFL franchise), which is why they're propped up by rich owners who want a...return on their investment I guess? To me, the funny part is the NFL and its players found a way to divide a billion dollars and keep everyone happy (for now), while the NBA and its players are fighting tooth and nail over a mere 300 million.

10+ Year Old Account
    as a kings fan, im sad about missing their final season in sactown. i hope they dont move here to socal. if they do they will cease to be the kings. they should move to vegas and keep the kings name.

OT im a little peeved about the amount of greed by both sides.

It's so stupid. I'm secretly hoping the whole season gets cancelled so everyone loses lots of money.

Yeah it's beyond stupids. I used to be against the owners, but seeing how delusional the players are thinking the world revolves around them just blows my mind. I guess Wednesday is the deadline for whether there will be a season or not.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do. I don't watch it as religiously as I do Football and Baseball but more than Hockey :P . GO Mavs repeat!!!!!!! (What?? it's not completely impossible)

I'm not an NBA fan. But I do find it amusing that a bunch of suits who sit in offices feel they deserve more money than the players who run up and down courts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a casual fan but I've loved the Jazz for quite some time. Now that they gutted their team though, I'm not sure how well they'll do. They're one of those teams that always does well, but never good enough to make it all the way. Not a single title. Shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Big Thunder fan here. Since the Thunder have been pretty amazing in their only 4 seasons here in OKC, we've been excited for this next season. Pretty pissed at this lockout.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oboloz View Post
    Big Thunder fan here. Since the Thunder have been pretty amazing in their only 4 seasons here in OKC, we've been excited for this next season. Pretty pissed at this lockout.
    I don't blame ya, considering the Thunder seem to be on the cusp of being one of the most dominate teams in the NBA and once they get there they will stay that way for a while.

With 82 games, it's hard for me to care until it's almost post season. Same thing with baseball. Just so many games. I am a fan of history and/or seeing history be made. I'd like to see LeBron come close to winning 3-5 championships and with the lockout he loses a year while he hits his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    as a kings fan, im sad about missing their final season in sactown. i hope they dont move here to socal. if they do they will cease to be the kings. they should move to vegas and keep the kings name.

OT im a little peeved about the amount of greed by both sides.
    Woah! Another Kings fan!

I too am bummed at this lockout, especially for reasons Beef stated (possibly the last season for the Kings in Sacto). Major bummer and none of my friends enjoy basketball at all. I feel so, so alone.

EDIT: BTW - when is the "projected" season start IF the deal goes through this week? Last I heard all games were cancelled up until December, but I heard that news a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by RemJay24; 2011-11-07 at 12:09 PM.

Here's the deal in the NBA:

Big market teams make gobs of money and can spend to drive up the prices of free agents, have huge payrolls despite the cap, and have a competitive advantage. They are even finding ways to load up on star players on one team.

Small market teams are making little or no money on basketball operations. They can't afford to spend on keeping their star players, have trouble attracting good free agents without badly overpaying, and can't spend enough to be competitive without losing HUGE amounts of money. So they are holding out for either much greater restrictions on salaries, or else much more revenue sharing from the other big teams.

The Union should have accepted a deal earlier. The problem is that because things were bungled earlier, taking a similar deal now will make them look really, really bad and they'll lose their job heading the union. So the union leaders are basically doing the players a disservice in order to primarily protect themselves.

Ideally, players need to take less money (50-50 split), big teams need to share more revenue with smaller teams, and the cap needs to be tighter or else more ways to make sure teams can keep their marquee players (perhaps something similar to the NFL's franchise player tag). Even with a tighter cap the players will still get the same money (50-50 split) overall. it just limits how much a rich team can circumvent the cap.

I love the NBA but I don't think it's going to hurt too much until after the NFL season ends. There is that few month lull in sports after the Super Bowl(Usually right up until Baseball starts kicking in) that Basketball is always great to fill. Thankfully there will still be College ball, but it just isn't the same.

Hopefully they gets some things fixed in all this. The league runs on a very broken system.

Cavs fan here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    Cavs fan here.....
    So you're probably a fan of this lockout right? Anything to avoid watching that team try and play.

I'm a big Nuggets fan, but this lockout is just ridiculous, it's hard to feel bad for two different groups of millionaires.

And I hate football, it's so boring so I don't have any sports to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I'm not an NBA fan. But I do find it amusing that a bunch of suits who sit in offices feel they deserve more money than the players who run up and down courts.
    You're absolutely right. The people who front the money and invest in the business have no fucking right to make their money back and then some. How dare they!

NBA : No Basketball Association

Im not saying that Id rather there be no NBA, simply because people do like professional basketball and should have a league to watch. I just wish the NBA would fail and we could get another professional organization.

I feel kinda famous on twitter now. Deron Williams was calling some fans dumb for calling him out on saying dumb things about the lockout. I went off on him and he actually retweeted what I said, and within seconds I received over 500 tweets from people calling me a retard and claiming he's the best player in the league -_- It was pretty hilarious. But yeah I don't even care if the nets were to go 0 and 82 for the next couple years if it meant getting to actually see them play. I don't see anyway that the players can win this. They just need to swallow their pride and accept the deal.

On a side note, I really hate saying "tweet".

Quote Originally Posted by Jdman View Post
    NBA : No Basketball Association

Im not saying that Id rather there be no NBA, simply because people do like professional basketball and should have a league to watch. I just wish the NBA would fail and we could get another professional organization.
    Dude I agree. I wouldn't mind if a new league started with brand new players and owners. I heard there's a possibility owners might just fill out their entire rosters with d-league players and have a season that way. Would be strange and probably some bad basketball but I'd watch it.