Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't think they ever will think of it this way when consoles become as good as a computer why pay for a console when you can build a pc for far less then buying a console because really your just paying X amount for there brand name (take alienware computers for example)
    I'm a little ninja, short and stout I take all the loot and I hearthstone out All the guys on teamspeak scream and shout I'm the warrior in full devout.

Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    console will take over. casuals think building a good pc is too complicated or even buying one. not only that you have to take care of it properly. consoles you can just turn on and they'll work. no drivers none of that.
    Red Ring of Death would like to have a word with you. Also more and more people are realizing that if they utilize the communities and tools out there on the web that building a new PC from parts really isn't so daunting a task after all.
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

Ah, the old "PC's can be upgraded" argument.

It's true, but only if you upgrade them all the time. Just for the sake of doing so. If you actually wait until you need to upgrade, you'll be replacing...

The Graphics card.
    The motherboard, because your old one isn't quick enough for the graphics card.
    The CPU, because there's a new socket type.
    The RAM, because DDR2 is old now.
    Windows because you had the old version.

Oh look, you just bought a new PC...

Upgrading PCs reminds me of Trigger from Only Fools And Horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbha4XclSMU

I really hope not. I much prefer gaming on my PC than a console.

Quote Originally Posted by zakayron View Post
    Red Ring of Death would like to have a word with you. Also more and more people are realizing that if they utilize the communities and tools out there on the web that building a new PC from parts really isn't so daunting a task after all.
    Every electronic device has issues such as the red ring of death. None a perfect. My Xbox has lasted for about 3-4 years without an issue.

Regardless of whether the information is there or not for building your own PC, people don't do it. Why? It's still considered nerdy. Also, why bother when the ill-informed customer could just buy a Mac which just plugs in and turns on? It's the same reason.

Computers are considered nerdy however console games aren't anymore. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Ah, the old "PC's can be upgraded" argument.

It's true, but only if you upgrade them all the time. Just for the sake of doing so. If you actually wait until you need to upgrade, you'll be replacing...

The Graphics card.
    The motherboard, because your old one isn't quick enough for the graphics card.
    The CPU, because there's a new socket type.
    The RAM, because DDR2 is old now.
    Windows because you had the old version.

Oh look, you just bought a new PC...

Upgrading PCs reminds me of Trigger from Only Fools And Horses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbha4XclSMU
    If you're talking about macs, it's still a lot cheaper to fully upgrade completely to a PC which is better than the new Mac. Also you don't need to buy new screens and what not.
    Last edited by rektbrah; 2011-11-06 at 11:06 AM.
    this game sucks

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope not as i just cant get to grips with those control pads. I need a mouse and keyboard especially for FPS games.

Deleted
    For me diffrent games works on console or on PC, the GTA-series is a example of a game that makes the best out of a console but on PC isn't even half as fun.

Nope has a console and pc gamer (console since 1989 and pc since 1999) I can tell you this generation (next-gen) has been the worst I have ever seen. Fps fps fps fps. If you love JRPG like me you're screwed. You're better on a DS or a PSP than on next-gen. 4 things I hate:
    - games are super expensive
    - DLC is the norm
    - Focus on multi and not solo player exp.
    - Games too short.

So no, consoles will not take over PC gaming. PC gaming has almost never been that good and allows much better fps

Yes and no.
    Developers have been leaning towards the 'easier' development for consoles more and more these last couple of years.
    It is easier because the hardware, OS and controllers are all set in stone, the ammount of conditionals a programmer needs to keep in mind is being reduced to a VERY small ammount.
    That said, there is allways going to be games which just dont work on a console and there is allways going to be gamers who just 'get off' on having the best possible experience visually.

As long as there is no stagnation in hardware development, there will be a place for the PC in gaming and i honestly don't see hardware development stopping anytime soon.
    (E) .· ` ' / ·. (F)
    Ur Tears Fuel Me.
    QQ More Please

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aous View Post
    tell me how you have to take care of a PC.. I don't do shit and mine has run fine for years.
    when was the last time you gave your computer a good blow?
    updated drivers?
    installed new programs(games also)?
    installed antivirus / firewall / etc, run scans for them, updated them?

first and formost really is giving your computer a good 'ol blow, with a can of air, or air compressor.

all of the above are "taking care of your PC"
    and the only way it has run for years without getting blown, is if you have an old enough computer, to not have a fan on your video card(old), maybe even old enough not to have one for the CPU(really old!!!)

to the OP though, ohh no consoles will replace PC gaming, both will exist, collectively or mutually, together or apart, either way, both ways, etc. but yeah.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    no, i would even stretch out as far to say; PCs will overtake the console market (once gameproducers can't make enough profit from making games only for consoles they will be forced to also make PC versions)

Why not? Consoles are computers as well. Theorically, they can be same or even better. It's just console manufacturers want them cheap and casual(no modification + plug and play). I always prefer console gaming over PC if there is no crosshair(FPS,TPS, etc.). I will play diablo III with my PS3 if blizz decides to release the game for PS

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    when was the last time you gave your computer a good blow?
    updated drivers?
    installed new programs(games also)?
    installed antivirus / firewall / etc, run scans for them, updated them?

first and formost really is giving your computer a good 'ol blow, with a can of air, or air compressor.

all of the above are "taking care of your PC"
    and the only way it has run for years without getting blown, is if you have an old enough computer, to not have a fan on your video card(old), maybe even old enough not to have one for the CPU(really old!!!)

to the OP though, ohh no consoles will replace PC gaming, both will exist, collectively or mutually, together or apart, either way, both ways, etc. but yeah.
    You really don't HAVE to do any of those things. Friend of mine was having issues playing a game he bought so I went over and he didn't even know you could update drivers and he had had the computer for ~5 years. Also better wording off "blowing" would be to say clean it (which 95% of people never do). As far as antivirus goes many ISP's provide an antivirus in the package with your internet (at least where I live) so thats pretty much done for you.

TL;DR: You don't have to treat your computer like you are an enthusiast in order to play games effectively.

EDIT: Also @second point: Steam is just about as simple as XBLM
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

Quote Originally Posted by emidas View Post
    There's a report from the industry going around on several forums (gamespot I think had it recently) where PC gaming is expected to overtake Console gaming in 2014. So draw your conclusions from that.

EDIT: I purely mean from a playerbase standpoint. PC gaming has always been "better", so to speak. PC master race ftw.
    I'm sorry but you made me think of this ;')

Long live Yahtzee!

on topic - I don't know what your all getting so defensive about, if a console could use a mouse and keyboard, plus let me surf the internet and such with some primitive browser i'd be all for that, i dont use this computer for anything but games and browsing anyway!

Consoles are old news prehistoric out of date, pc is the new thing get used to it cyber space is the new platform multi player, single is boring as hell when you have no humans to take the piss out of and mock.

Next is actually getting into cyber space, virtual reality. Getting our conciousnesss out of this gay ass reality and into a fantasy world for real is the next step

Consoles will never overtake pc, as pcs are updated on a monthly basis, unless consoles start putting out new hardware updates at the same rates as pcs they will always fall behind after time.

A PC can do everything a Console can, but a Console can't do everything a pc can and the day a Console can do what a Pc can its basicly just a PC.

PC and Consoles will always be around neither will die off, same reason the are many sports in the world, people like different things.

One day they'll be the same thing. Consoles are just PCs that run a very locked down OS as is. Consoles are PCs right now. The only real difference is the support that companies give to one platform over the other. So right now, they both have their pros and cons. I highly doubt that will last.

Imagine a world you can plug into and jack yourself up and live in it and do what the hell you want. This human body thing with organs we don't even need is really annoying, conciousness without limits is the new thing )))

Consoles may be the mainstream right now, but with the ever changing market trends it's not going to remain that way forever. I think the console industry has about 2 generations left before it ceases to exist as we know it. PCs on the other hand I think are still going to be around in the long term, and as long as they exist there will always be a market for games on them.

Deleted
    To make financially sense, consoles will always have average at best PC hardware that cant be upgraded or modified. If you look at the hardware inside a PS3 and Xbox360 you may be shocked to discover the hardware is really really old. 6+ years in some cases.
    If this was solely a choice of a consumer then fine. The age old counter-argument is "im not rich! I just want to buy a console to have fun now and again..i haz a life!!11". Fine you get what you pay for. The issue I have is how multiplatform design is effecting the very evolution of game tech. Because almost every game now has to work on 6+ year old hardware, it feels very much like we are being bottlenecked by the lowest common denominator.
    The next leap in impressive physics, graphics, gameplay etc will not arrive until the next generation of consoles are released inspite of the powerhouse some PC users my possess.
    That basically means engine technology will only be seen in chunks of possibly 10 years (explains why we see the same engine in a lot of FPS games now for prolonged periods of time). The Xbox was released in 2005. thats 6 years old. The next gen 720 box will be estimated to be released in 2013. No progress will be made till that time and even then, the 720 hardware will probably be the equivalent to a high end PC you see today

Some people may comment that graphics look impressive as they are. I would somewhat agree (but be frustrated at the aspect that it could be even better if not chained). But the most over shadowed aspect of modern games are the cool things like physics (buildings and infrastructure exploding into pieces and interactable malleable enviroments) and A.I (donating the number of enemies at one time + the actually smarts of said A.I). All are limited to moore's law equivalent to the ancient hardware.