Page 1 of 2
LastLast

560ti versus overclocked 560ti

Hey guys, need some advice. Been looking into a new card to upgrade my current PC that isn't too terribly expensive. Im planning on building a new rig after the new year but I still want to use this pc a while, as well as let my fiance have something to play on. Anyway, I've been looking and the best value seems to be a GeForce 560 ti (trying to stay with NVIDIA).

So heres my question, there is a few cards on Newegg and these 2 EVGA cards got my attention because they are the same price but one is overclocked.
    Theres this: EVGA GeForce 560 ti, Newegg item number N82E16814130604, Core Clock 850 mHz, Shader Clock 1700 mHz

and the Overclocked version: Newegg item number N82E16814130610, Core Clock 900 mHz, Shader 1800 mHz

The main difference seems to be the Clock speeds of course. I'm not sure which one to get because they all are pretty much the same price, is the extra clock speed worth the extra heat? That is the meat of my question I suppose. Sorry i couldn't post actual links, been a forum lurker for a long time, but never a poster :-( )

(also if anyone thinks I should go for another card, or a preferred brand of this one, please advise me, I'm open)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd just get the normal and overclock it to the same speeds as the overclocked version. Considering they use the same PCB, it should be easily doable in MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision.

10+ Year Old Account
    MSI Twin Frozr and Asus DirectCuII are considered the best coolers/overclockers for more or less any card, GTX560 Ti included. Pick whichever you find a better deal on.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Here are the links to the cards you highlighted.
    Stock clock version
    +
    overclocked version.

First off, usually, to compensate for the overclock, the manufacturer would usually include better cooling (though they haven't in this case,) or pick a card that runs at a cooler stock speed (not all cards manufactured come out exactly the same, some run hotter, cooler, need more voltage, etc,) and sell that as the overclocked brand. What this means is that just because one card is an overclocked version, it doesn't necessarily mean it produces more heat. Now, in the event it does produce more heat, it's not going to be a large amount of heat. The card's BIOS will ramp up the cooling the moment the GPU temperature hits a certain point, and thus will keep the GPU at a safe temperature. You can also set your own fan profiles in software such as MSI Afterburner.

Now to the cards you've selected. They're running on stock coolers, and thus at high load/high overclocks (if you intend on overclocking them,) are going to operate hotter, and also louder than cards fitted with an aftermarket cooler. A good example of a 560Ti fitted with a good aftermarket cooler would be the MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr II OC. The version I have linked is the overclocked version, which after the mail in rebate is only $5 more than the version running at the stock clock. It's a small amount of money for a modest performance increase (we're talking a few percent.) The stock version can be found here. Both of these cards are cheaper and argubly better than the EVGA ones you've linked.

Another good example is the ASUS 560TI DCII which is the same price as the first MSI card I linked you.

Good luck!

Deleted
    MSI Twin Frozr for any GTX 5xx.

I'm been really surprised by MSI this time.

Deleted
    What games are you playing? If only wow and similar games you dont need a 560 for £200. You could buy a HD 6770 or a GTX 460 for £100 and still max out wow with stable 60fps.

Skyrim when it comes out, Witcher 2, that sort of thing, I wouldn't buy a new vid card for wow :-D.

Anyway thanks for all the help folks, looks like i'll be going with that MSI card for the moment.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Truly stock clocks (reference NVidia clocks) would actually be 822MHz/1645Mhz, so both are OC'd to some level.

I would suggest what a few others have already suggested however and say, get an MSI Twin Frozr II or Asus DirectCUII, as those two are easily the best editions with the best cooling and therefore the best OC capability while still staying cool.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deusultimus View Post
    Skyrim when it comes out, Witcher 2, that sort of thing, I wouldn't buy a new vid card for wow :-D.

Anyway thanks for all the help folks, looks like i'll be going with that MSI card for the moment.
    A 5670 can run Skyrim on Medium - High, A 6770 can defo max Skyrim and Witcher 2 out. I've got a 6770 and I max everything I've tried (Haven't tried BF3 yet though)

The 6770 is around 100£ cheaper than a 560 and does it's job perfectly.

Just a tip if you want to save 100£

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TorskeN View Post
    A 5670 can run Skyrim on Medium - High, A 6770 can defo max Skyrim and Witcher 2 out. I've got a 6770 and I max everything I've tried (Haven't tried BF3 yet though)

The 6770 is around 100£ cheaper than a 560 and does it's job perfectly.

Just a tip if you want to save 100£
    Perhaps on a 1280x720 monitor you can max Witcher 2 out with a 6770.... Witcher 2 is extremely GPU intensive, I highly HIGHLY doubt you "maxed" it out, at least, with decent FPS too.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 6770 can defo max Skyrim and Witcher 2 out. I've got a 6770 and I max everything I've tried
    Let me guess, 720p at 30 fps?

Deleted
    Only difference is the clocks like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    MSI Twin Frozr and Asus DirectCuII are considered the best coolers/overclockers for more or less any card, GTX560 Ti included. Pick whichever you find a better deal on.

I can vouch this guys previous answer to your thread, my current card is the Asus DirectCuII nVidia GTX 560ti and it works a charm. If you play games such as BF3, WoW (especially in 25 man raids particuarly and in densely populated capital cities) and other high graphically intensive games wont be troubling for this card. It's definately a winner out of the 560ti range personally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Perhaps on a 1280x720 monitor you can max Witcher 2 out with a 6770.... Witcher 2 is extremely GPU intensive, I highly HIGHLY doubt you "maxed" it out, at least, with decent FPS too.
    1400x1050, maxed it out with 60fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Let me guess, 720p at 30 fps?
    As I said above, 1400x1050 maxed out with 60fps

10+ Year Old Account
    As I said above, 1400x1050 maxed out with 60fps

Dropping 220 pixels in width probably wouldn't double your performance, so you must've received a pretty magical 6770 blessed by Princess Celestia herself.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-11-06 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    280 pixels dear Xuvial. ;p

But yeah, that's still probably not enough to flat out double the fps... TorskeN, you are saying you maxed it out, like fully? Ubersampling and EVERYTHING possible completely maxed? >_>
    "A flower.

Just bought this http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...specifications and got Battlefield 3 Limitied Edition for free with it
    It seems like I bought a good video card according to your posts, yay!
    My current video card is a Geforce GTS 250 ... :d
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda1337 View Post
    Just bought this http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/N...specifications and got Battlefield 3 Limitied Edition for free with it
    It seems like I bought a good video card according to your posts, yay!
    My current video card is a Geforce GTS 250 ... :d
    Great choice! Congrats on the upgrade! You'll notice it!

GTS 250 isn't quite a gaming GPU, however a 560 Ti is. ^_< Enjoy!
    "A flower.

Deleted
    I HIGHLY recommend the MSI Twin Frozer III cooler, it kicks so much ass.

Comparing the STOCK GPU and the MSI Hawk (TFIII + OC'ed) the Hawk runs COOLER and QUIETER even with the overclock. It stays quiet until about 60% fan speed (you probably won't reach more than 70 in games unless you want it to).
    I cannot hear my TFIII until 55%, then at 60% it starts to be pretty audible.

EDIT: Gz on your new card

10+ Year Old Account
    Asus seriously need to revisit their DCII triple-slot designs for 570/580/6950/6970. If MSI can get the same cooling done (sometimes better) with 2 slots, why the hell did Asus decide on such a ridiculously thick sink? It really hurts SLI.