Thread: Am I depressed?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Am I depressed?

Hi, this is not some "boohoo feel bad for me"-topic, this is just me that wants to know. I really try to keep up a good spirit, but a lot of the time I feel rather horrible, yet I still want to achieve what I want in life - if that means working at McDonalds, I'll do that, for example. However, this "depression" that I might have is really hurting my spirit a lot. I just thought it was puberty at first, but now I'm starting to think otherwise. These are my "depression" symptoms (based of some random website):
    * feeling anxious, "empty," or "numb"
    * feeling hopeless, like there's nothing to look forward to (sometimes, although it's gotten more frequent lately)
    * feeling guilty or worthless (not too often)
    * feeling lonely (I'm rather happy with that though, even though I feel I shouldn't be)
    * losing interest in regular activities - things are not fun anymore (this one is the huge one, I'm starting to doubt whether I want to program or not, but it's the most fun I know after playing video games - and the video games themselves are starting to bore me, even)
    * having difficulty concentrating in school and when doing homework (I can concentrate in school rather well, I suppose, but homework is a big no-no)
    * having difficulty concentrating on other activities, like reading - not remembering what a book was about (happens sometimes)
    * having less energy and feeling tired all the time
    * not eating enough, smaller appetite (although this one is something I've always been like)
    * thinking about death (not in a positive way though, more in a "I don't want to die"-way)
    * spending less time with friends and more time alone (I spend a lot of time alone. I like to chat with friends when they are nearby like in school or on Facebook, but I don't like hanging with people after school)
    * frequently crying, often for no obvious reason (although this is mostly when I'm trying to sleep)
    * feeling irritable, every little thing gets on my nerves (although this is mostly when I've been at school, when I've had a free day or free week I'm usually not as irritated)
    * feeling restless, being unable to sit still or relax (an issue I've had since I was a kid though, might be that restless legs syndrome, same with relaxing; impossible)

So basically, if we cut the things that's been there since childhood (but which I decided to include anyway because they might be signs in some shape or form):
    * feeling anxious, "empty," or "numb"
    * feeling hopeless, like there's nothing to look forward to
    * feeling guilty or worthless
    * losing interest in regular activities - things are not fun anymore
    * having difficulty concentrating on other activities, like reading - not remembering what a book was about
    * having less energy and feeling tired all the time
    * thinking about death
    * spending less time with friends and more time alone
    * feeling irritable, every little thing gets on my nerves

Is this puberty, or do I truly have a depression? I guess that I should go talk to some psychiatrist, but I feel that there are lots of people with far worse problems than me. I might be depressed, but it's more of a rather large annoyance rather than something that is destroying my life.

Deleted
    Consult your parents/doctor. This forum will only bring out trolls.

But no, I don't think you do. It's just part of growing up my friend.

Well you are reaching out to MMO-Champion.com a gaming website for depression help, I would say you might not only be depressed but also confused. You want to let your mother know of this issue so she can set up a doctor appointment. However, my suggestion to you would be to consider marijuana, rather than any harmful "anti-depressant" pill your doctor is going to prescribe you, based on your location on this beautiful Earth. Not only is marijuana far from harmful, but it will also not trip your body out like one of those pills would do, and it's natural.

Prob a mild depression. I'd recommend one or two psych visits to confirm as, like UncleSilas said, the internet tends to bring out trolls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait... puberty? How old are you? Depression isn't something you're born with or something you have since childhood like a birthmark. Most depression cases come from one not being pleased with his or her living environment. If things aren't fun, find new things to do. Get out more. I mean, sure, it could be hormones, but I don't think the internet is the right place to be asking about matters such as this. I would recommend seeing a doctor or some form of clinical psychiatrist if you honestly believe that you are depressed.

Deleted
    Try to define some life goals. Break the inertia and hang out with your friends, you will like it. Lastly, consult a psychologist, they can really help you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lufi View Post
    Try to define some life goals. Break the inertia and hang out with your friends, you will like it. Lastly, consult a psychologist, they can really help you.
    I have life goals. I try to hang out with them, but I always feel extremely discomfortable around them, and it's not like they are drinking or smoking and shit. We can sit on a cafe having a cup of coffee and I can still feel extremely discomfortable.

Chillin D @ I've tried with multiple sports and different activites, but they are even more boring.

As for the trolls, let them come, I find MMO-Champion the better place on the Internet to ask this though, there are some trolls but most of the frequent posters here are very nice in my opinion.

People would recommend to talk to a doctor about that, and yes it's defenatly a good way.

On the other way, don't take any kinds drugs or alcohol,
    If you have some sort of addiction to one of these, even if it's 1 or 2 times a week, during the week end for exemple. stop that now.
    (Exemple: Play WoW very *high*) not good at all if you are depress. The side effect are very very very bad

Have a good nutrition plan, healthy lifestyle meals, not mc donald or burger king stuff.Even if you are not hungry, you have to eat.
    That's a very important part to help cure a depression

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    People would recommend to talk to a doctor about that, and yes it's defenatly a good way.

If you have some sort of addiction to one of these, even if it's 1 or 2 times a week, during the week end for exemple. stop that now.
    (Exemple: Play WoW very *high*) not good at all if you are depress. The side effect are very very very bad

Have a good nutrition plan, healthy lifestyle meals, not mc donald or burger king stuff.Even if you are not hungry, you have to eat.That's very important part to help cure a depression
    I don't eat much, but most of the time I eat sandviches, some kind of meat or wook at evenings. I don't eat at hamburger restaurants, they give me bad bowels.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suffer from mild depression. I have suffered silently from it all my life from about my teenage years (in 40s now) but I never knew what was wrong I just thought it was normal. Some of the tell tale signs for me included:

Trouble sleeping and if I did sleep I would awaken early but still not feel like getting out of bed.
    Trouble focusing at work
    Avoiding social situations if possible
    Anxiety - always paranoid about my health and any small issue I obsessed about thinking it was probably some life threatening disease
    A lack of interest in some things that would normally excite me - for example, I thought I would be excited to go watch a superhero movie being filmed in my city and when I got there the end result was rather hollow. Like drinking a tasteless dinner :-( This made me even more depressed!

I spoke to my doctor about it. He wanted to prescribe me a Benzo for my anxiety and I can take that if I am really a wreck. I work out all the time now and that helps but there is a lot more to it. You need to eat healthy. Think positive thoughts. Engage people in a positive way - fake it till you make it. It will feel uncomfortable to engage in a positive way with others when you feel crappy but it is contagious.

The most important thing - Laugh. Find things that you find funny. For me its The Office and Family Guy and some of my close friends. I forgot how good it feels to have a real laugh.

Hope you can feel better.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
    Buddha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post

Have a good nutrition plan, healthy lifestyle meals, not mc donald or burger king stuff.Even if you are not hungry, you have to eat.
    That's a very important part to help cure a depression
    Ignore the first part, second part is good.

WoW doesn't cause nor lead to depression, drugs and alcohol are debatable.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    How long have these symptoms been going on for? Has it been going on only for a few days, a few weeks, a few months, or years? It's really hard to actually give a say if you are or not without knowing more about your personal background, which is something you should never say on a site like this. Do you feel really anxious around people? Are you still in your teen years (by this I mean between 16-23-24)? If you are, that could be hormones screwing with your head, as this is pretty much the most critical part of your life when it comes to development outside of childhood. I can imagine it is hard to not stress about the overwhelming feelings you may have now, but it seems like you've just hit a road block with life, and we all get those.

An actual therapist would do you more good, but I would suggest recalling how long it has been going on for and see if you can figure out what is causing you to feel this way if you can before talking to one, as it can make dealing with depression quite a bit easier if you truly have it. By the way, don't let symptoms and such cause massive amounts of worry from sites because they're just guidelines, as depression is incredibly difficult to define just based off of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter5592 View Post
    Well you are reaching out to MMO-Champion.com a gaming website for depression help, I would say you might not only be depressed but also confused. You want to let your mother know of this issue so she can set up a doctor appointment. However, my suggestion to you would be to consider marijuana, rather than any harmful "anti-depressant" pill your doctor is going to prescribe you, based on your location on this beautiful Earth. Not only is marijuana far from harmful, but it will also not trip your body out like one of those pills would do, and it's natural.
    Would people please stop bringing up the whole "Gaming website"? Mmo-champ has a great off-topic board, with lots of great members who are prepared to help out.
    To post something like this on these boards is perfectly fine. Yes, the internet may bring out trolls, but it may also bring out a shit ton of wonderful persons with great knowledge.

OT: Seeing as you're addressing this problem on your own, and you're not quite sure as of right now, I'd say consult a psychiatrist and just try to change your life on your own. Find things you enjoy doing and all of that

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    However, my suggestion to you would be to consider marijuana, rather than any harmful "anti-depressant" pill your doctor is going to prescribe you, based on your location on this beautiful Earth. Not only is marijuana far from harmful, but it will also not trip your body out like one of those pills would do, and it's natural.
    The active ingredient in cannabis impairs learning by binding to a receptor in the brain in place of a natural neurotransmitter that facilitates forming of linkages in the brain (or something like that). It's a natural substance in plants, but not in humans. I wouldn't recommend this.

OT: It's your life, you know how you feel, so the only one who can really decide whether you're depressed is you. If you think what you're feeling is interferring with your life then sure, go see a professional about it. But otherwise a lot of people feel many of the symptoms of depression, and in a lot of cases people just move past it as part of growing up.

As people have also said a healthy lifestyle will help. Eating right, exercising, doing work, whether it be cleaning or study, will all help you to feel not only healthier and less stressed about having things to do, but good about yourself in that you're doing what you know is right and good for you and stuff.

[QUOTE=xMuse;14101700]The active ingredient in cannabis impairs learning by binding to a receptor in the brain in place of a natural neurotransmitter that facilitates forming of linkages in the brain (or something like that). It's a natural substance in plants, but not in humans. I wouldn't recommend this.

Impairs learning? What does that even mean, or relate to anything he is talking about, he isn't getting high and going to class. Then again I can tell from your post, you don't even know what you are talking about, you are also twisting the concept of the world natural around. You do realize our bodies have receptors in it JUST FOR MARIJUANA, does that not speak out to you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherfall View Post
    How long have these symptoms been going on for?
    About 1-2 years, I reckon.
    Do you feel really anxious around people?
    I have an extremely hard time approaching them, but when I talk to them I talk a lot. I still get extremely shakey and nervous though, and this is something that still happens even when I'm conversing with my closest friends.
    Are you still in your teen years?
    17 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    17 years old.
    There are two causes of depression - the delusion that you have nothing, nor any hope ... or the reality that you have nothing, nor any hope.

As someone in the later category - I can tell you right now at 17 your depression is a delusion and fixable with some treatment. Go to see your doctor, the same way you would if you had the flu, or a broken leg. You will be fixed up within 1-2yrs and spend the rest of your life going fine.

If only there was a simple fix for the reality based depression, sadly professional help nor drugs yield nothing.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Impairs learning? What does that even mean, or relate to anything he is talking about, he isn't getting high and going to class. Then again I can tell from your post, you don't even know what you are talking about, you are also twisting the concept of the world natural around. You do realize our bodies have receptors in it JUST FOR MARIJUANA, does that not speak out to you?
    It means no, it's not 'far from harmful', and if he's having problems like concentrating like he's said, it's not going to help. Our bodies have receptors for a different compound (see: anandamide) that occurs naturally in the human body, not the chemical in marijuana. Our bodies don't produce the chemical in marijuana, to be able to have a receptor 'JUST FOR IT'.

If you have to ask, then you are not depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    About 1-2 years, I reckon.

I have an extremely hard time approaching them, but when I talk to them I talk a lot. I still get extremely shakey and nervous though, and this is something that still happens even when I'm conversing with my closest friends.

17 years old.
    You might just be suffering from the awkward stages that guys tend to get around that age. It normally goes away after a few years, so there isn't too much to worry about. If it starts to impair your schedule I.E you can't even get out of bed at times or go anywhere due to feeling down (and I don't mean having a cold) than go consult a therapist.

One more thing, when you're talking to people, do you talk at a normal pace? Or is it incredibly quickly or slowly?