Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Heroic Ragnaros Difficulties (phase 2)

Despite an amazing composition, our guild for about 3 weeks now has been having incredibly fundamental issues with heroic ragnaros with phase 2. We've tried every strat that we have gotten ahold of so far, and are pretty much hitting a wall on it. In the end, the elementals from the Seeds aren't being killed nearly fast enough. Our composition should be ridiculously overpowered for the encounter, but no matter how we add it up the adds have at least 70% health still after all aoe is said and done by the time the adds get to us.

Our comp:
    TANKS:
    Feral Druid
    Protection Warrior

HEALERS:
    (Holy/Discipline) Priest
    Holy Paladin

DPS:
    Balance Druid
    Balance Druid
    Arcane Mage
    Demonology Warlock
    Elemental Shaman
    Combat Rogue

Despite stacking all seeds in the same spot with duel balance druids with shrooms and starfall, shaman totems dropped just after their spawn point, and the demo lock hell-firing in unison with the adds as they run (we've even tried rogue running with daggers), the damage on them is incredibly low.

Most tell us the most notable omission is the lack of DK or Hunter in our comp, which may be the case, but has anyone done it with a similar comp lacking such? And if this isn't issue, anyone experience a problem like this they were able to overcome some how?
    Last edited by SaltLakeAtrocity; 2011-11-07 at 09:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Having only 2/7 Heroic FL, I can't tell you anything from my own experience.
    Though, I saw many kill vids of rag hc with more hunters in the raid than you do. Get atleast One
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

I didn't take much time to do look in depth but I noticed all your DPS for the first 30% have quite low DPS. That leads me to believe they arent AOEing correctly later if they all cant top 29k+ on a standstill part.

We have 2 hunters, an arcane mage, boomkin and 2 shadow priests and haven't had an issue with Seeds, plus the heals from an SPriest in each group on the sons with their AoE helps an insane amount.

Your warlock should be doing VASTLY more. Ele shaman third is nuts, your druids should probably be doing more too. Looks like the lock needs to have his pet in there and felstorming (they barely have any damage from it). You can also drop say, your rogue's, add off to the side and let him help AE, or the mage...the damage is just absurdly low.

Your druids sucks. Sorry for not being very constructive in that first part.

A single Moonkin will blow the seeds down to ~70%. Two druids? You're set with the aoe.

Have them sort their eclipsetransitions and end up in solar for seeds. preplant shrooms, hurricane b4 they spawn, let it tick 1-2 times then detonate. Their overall dmg is low aswell.

Several tries they're not even hitting all the seeds with all the shrooms, it almost looks like they only put up either 2 shrooms, or detonate way too late or something.

Have everyone look through rotations tbh, most raiders seems too low on dmg for RagHC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theyanger View Post
    Your warlock should be doing VASTLY more. Ele shaman third is nuts, your druids should probably be doing more too. Looks like the lock needs to have his pet in there and felstorming (they barely have any damage from it). You can also drop say, your rogue's, add off to the side and let him help AE, or the mage...the damage is just absurdly low.
    More often than not the rogue is doing the same thing as the demo lock and running with the adds fanning knives. Lock's felstorm, even if that was for some reason missing, wouldn't account for that large a gap of health still left on the adds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your druids are doing very poor damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I should ammend my statement and my log with a piece of information about the last couple attempts. I'll have to count the exact number of pulls we did like this, but somewhere around the last 3 or 4 pulls we tried having everyone spread out and solo their respective add after collapsing in the middle. Because of this, aoe damage is (obviously) low for those pulls. Needless to say the strategy went horribly and thus we are looking at why our aoe is so low.

If you look at calender you'll see a couple weeks wiping to essentially the same mechanic, if you wanted more data of our aoe (every pull previous to those last couple were aoe'd like normal).

Deleted
    We're on raggy HC aswell. Our problems is in P4 thoug, but we have a boomkind makind shrooms and his aoe, a hunter doing multishots and a demolock inside the add pack and going hellfire.

Now are you stacking up before seeds spawns? So they are at the same place? Let the demolock place his seed as the entrence not in the rest of the group, and he can portal in a do shit load of aoe. Althoug, if you're also having a healing prob, then look at your holy paladin. No offece but he seems to be doing alot of FoL instead of DL or HL.

And for the druids, in P2 they needs to be in Lunar. Don't give a fuck about dps there. It's on P3 it's a dps race. Luner + Shroom = win Anyway hope you can use this

Deleted
    I can give you some information how my guild handle the seeds, we've mage, hunter, boomkin, warlock, rogue and warrior as dps, and we're able to kill the seeds with eez. At first we had BIG problems with the seeds, they just overruned us badly, but we figured some things out. As my point of view as a mage, i think your mage is doing it wrong, we use the tactic where we all stand together on one side then run together to the other side, standard tactic. When we all are waiting for the seeds to explode im standing in the back of the room by myself, since as a mage you can use the great ability BLINK! , so what i do is when the seeds explode they start running to us, and if the mage is targeted by a seed he waits for it to get close to him and then just blink straight into the other ones and spamm arcane explosion (i hope he got 2/2 in explosion) and he should ALWAYS have 4 stacks on arcane blast when he does that (also dont forget the mage ward, since it gives u around 2k spellpower for free). Our lock is doing almost the same thing with portal, also he use his pet as a really good aoe. We also have the druid (balance) to put up some mushrooms and we just kite them into it, and since you have 2 druids this should be a insane burst. And if you think that we kill them instantly we dont, when they reach us they're around 20-30% but sometimes even lower/higher, but then our melee just helps us finnish them off . If it helps you can check out our gear and such, i don't know how well geared you're. Here is my profile i could be in PvP gear but my PvE gear is around 388 equipped, Wezl - Dunemaul Troll mage (can't post links yet since im noob .) at this point we only spend a maximum of like 5 tries on him every week should be easy with some practise! i hope these tips will help you on the heroic encounter! thanks

There's nothing wrong with your comp. As other people have pointed out, your players are doing it wrong.

-Your druids are inconsistent with their mushrooms. Their damage via mushrooms on molten elementals swing wildly between each attempt. (However this might not be the druid's fault if the seeds are not landing consistently close to each other.)
    - Your warlock is doing it very wrong. His fel guard has almost 0 felstorm damage on molten elementals on every attempt except 15. However, I do see him cast felstorm around the same time on every attempt, that means he needs to work out a better way to control his pets.

You should have the mage and warlock stand outside the clump and drop their seeds outside. Mage doing arcane explosions does pretty solid damage to elementals.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just a thought...

Are your Moonkins actually keeping themselves in Solar Eclipse during P2?
    Sure, it gimps their DPS on Ragnaros a bit but it increases their DPS on the Seeds A LOT.

So if they arent doing it already make sure they start doing it!

Honestly with 2 boomkins in 10man they should be dropping like flies.

Deleted
    OP is a druid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have looked at your mage, if I were him I would get a DMC:V, its a vastly better trinket than Heroic Bell. He is over the hit cap, which is suboptimal and I see at least one gem with hit on it. Anything less than a 40-int gem is not worth using unless the socket bonus is 20-int. The stat weights on Intellect make it almost worthless to gem for socket bonuses.

I do nearly 1 million damage to Molten Elementals by blinking into the group after they explode. I then run with them while spamming Arcane Explosion. They are dead before they get to everyone. Between your mage and the two Boomkin you should have no trouble killing seeds as long as they hit adds with their Wild Mushrooms.

Your warlock should be positioning his felguard on top of the seeds, somewhat leading them towards where the clump is running towards. Likewise, the warlock and rogue should be standing outside of the group to drop their seeds outside of the pack, so they can quickly get to the pile without getting destroyed from add damage. Every other set the rogue should be able to stand virtually on top of the pile via cloak of shadows. Cooldowns should be worked out depending on which add waves give you the most difficulty, while keeping in mind that you'll want to have every dps cooldown available for the p3 transition push.

On a more specific note, from an ele shaman perspective, I run a more heavy mastery build for this, with around 38% overload chance. I ensure that I have EM available for both the first, and third set of adds, and using it with chain lightning as soon as the ele's pop out. Crit CL + overload does some amazing damage. I can usually get off two CL's before the clump begins to spread and we polish off the little bit of hp left. Likewise, your shaman should be dropping earthquake on top of / leading the seed pack every set. Marginal damage, but you can get off two or so ticks per add per set. While tstorm won't knock them back while grouped, it is worth around 100k damage to the pile when they close in to the group. It's not worth running towards the pile and using it, but it is worth casting when the pile gets to the group.

Tell your warlock to position his felguard just outside your stacking point, using Felstorm 1-2 seconds before the explosion, using a macro to make the felguard follow. Should give max Felstorm uptime on the adds. Also tell him to try Seed of Corruption twice before the group of adds get to him, then switch to Hellfire as the adds reach him.

Deleted
    didn't read all posts but i'd like to share how we're doing it (full bomb tactic):

the group stands right in front of rag and runs as soon as the eggs are about to spawn (t-1 sec) about 25y further. our way is from second left circle to second right circle, and back in the next egg phase.

mage&wl stand apart from the group and each other, so that their adds can be slowed (we us frost traps, but you don't have hunters so you'd need another solution). once the adds are spawned, the mage blinks and the WL teleports into the pack to bomb the crap out of the elementals without taking damage. once their adds are close, they need tho get out of the pack. and, you've got two owls. we don't have any but they're said to be very strong there.

our dd-setup: combat rogue, bm hunter, mm/sv hunter (depending on haste buff), arcane mage, demo lock, shadow priest
    Last edited by mmoc96e249ad29; 2011-11-07 at 09:34 AM.