Thread: conime.exe

10+ Year Old Account

conime.exe

Ok, been bugging me for a little while, what is Conime.exe?

There seem to be varying opinions on Google as to it's validity. So the file path in question is: %windir%\system32\conime.exe

I keep wanting to remove it from the startup list but without knowing what it is?

Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-07 at 11:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Ok, been bugging me for a little while, what is Conime.exe?

There seem to be varying opinions on Google as to it's validity. So the file path in question is: %windir%\system32\conime.exe

I keep wanting to remove it from the startup list but without knowing what it is?

Running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I hope this helps you out.

conime.exe is a part of the the Microsoft Windows Operating System and is essential for the secure and safe operation of your computer. This process is used when a Asian laguage is used in Windows.

conime.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 27,648 bytes (58% of all occurrence), 69,120 bytes, 68,608 bytes, 24,576 bytes, 66,048 bytes, 25,600 bytes.http://www.file.net/process/conime.exe.html
    File conime.exe is a Windows system file. The program has no visible window. conime.exe is a Microsoft signed file.

conime.exe is a system process that is needed for your Windows system to work properly. It should not be removed.
    Information from

http://www.processlibrary.com/direct...conime/243680/

10+ Year Old Account
    It was one I had seen... but then I also saw:

If conime.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers then the security rating is 84% dangerous. File size is 69,246 bytes (33% of all occurrence), 96,896 bytes, 96,899 bytes, 48,436 bytes. There is no information about the maker of the file. The program has no visible window. It is located in the Windows folder, but it is not a Windows core file. conime.exe is not a Windows core file. The process is loaded during the Windows boot process (see Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run). conime.exe is able to hide itself, monitor applications.
    If conime.exe is located in a subfolder of C:\Windows then the security rating is 18% dangerous. File size is 69,120 bytes (60% of all occurrence), 68,608 bytes, 17,089 bytes. The program is not visible. It is a Microsoft signed file. conime.exe is able to monitor applications.
    If conime.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows then the security rating is 80% dangerous. File size is 32,963 bytes.
    From http://www.file.net/process/conime.exe.html

10+ Year Old Account
    So is it in C:\Windows or C:\Windows\System32\drivers ?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    For questions about the Microsoft operating system... best to ask Microsoft

The guy that is providing the answer is a MS MVP

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-a2bced9d5dcd

10+ Year Old Account
    Startup Item: Conime
    Manufacturer: Unknown
    Command: %windir%\system32\conime.exe
    Location: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

However:

Deleted
    http://process.networktechs.com/conime.exe.php

seems like it's only spyware if found outside of the system32, according to those posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    http://process.networktechs.com/conime.exe.php

seems like it's only spyware if found outside of the system32, according to those posts.
    Right however:

Malware Bytes, MSE, Spybot S&D, Trend (online), Panda (online) all come up empty

10+ Year Old Account
    Right however:

Malware Bytes, MSE, Spybot S&D, Trend (online), Panda (online) all come up empty
    Can you check the network activity of the process? If its not sending any data I wouldn't worrie, if its send a boat load of data to a outside source thats not micro soft.....id be concerned!
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently according to every program I know it doesn't exist except within msconfig...

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently according to every program I know it doesn't exist except within msconfig...
    does it run on start up? Worst thing that could happen is you delete the file and it crashes windows, pop in a repair disc and try a different option. Can you run a memory address program thing that tells you if its hiding or is being used by other programs? Please excuse my lack of terminology.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by da1rren View Post
    what/how did you get that side bar? i want it
    It's just the basic Pre-Packaged Rainmeter skin (on a second screen)

---------- Post added 2011-11-08 at 03:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    does it run on start up? Worst thing that could happen is you delete the file and it crashes windows, pop in a repair disc and try a different option. Can you run a memory address program thing that tells you if its hiding or is being used by other programs? Please excuse my lack of terminology.
    Don't know what it's ment to do so... pass as to weather it actually runs or not.... it's set to run on startup.

Deleted the entry now... nothing untoward so far....

---------- Post added 2011-11-08 at 03:35 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by holyforce View Post
    Can you check the network activity of the process? If its not sending any data I wouldn't worrie, if its send a boat load of data to a outside source thats not micro soft.....id be concerned!
    None.... doesn't show at all with a netstat -ab