10+ Year Old Account

pally tanking question

i'm about to ding 85 on my prot pally and im wondering if its viable or recommended to stack mastery instead of going for the socket bonuses via our other recommended gems (fine ember topaz etc)? i know mastery is our most valuable stat, but i've read contradictory posts on the matter.

thanks C:

10+ Year Old Account
    mastery is our best stat however since your about to hit 85 i would concentrate more on getting gear then anything else.

i usually always go for socket bonus but you could probably pump a lil extra block out with just full +40 gems.

i suggest looking at some ctc threads about mitigation and avoidance.

good luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostomc View Post
    mastery is our best stat however since your about to hit 85 i would concentrate more on getting gear then anything else.

i usually always go for socket bonus but you could probably pump a lil extra block out with just full +40 gems.

i suggest looking at some ctc threads about mitigation and avoidance.

good luck
    Really this, go for mastery and you make all healers happy.
    I hate tanks that have high stam and then I look at their gear... only stam, then I see them tank... only droping low health and the heal oom.

Go mastery take the socket bonuses.

But probably just get some gear in, since you will gem/enchant items and they will be gone within 2 seconds because you got a new 346/353/359 item

10+ Year Old Account
    sweet, thanks. i figured itd be best to put mastery in every available situation but not miss out on the stam socket bonuses n such. also i should be heroics ready once i ding thanks to za/zg farming on my shaman for boe's and the boe boots/wrists jp/vp.

i really appreciate the words of wisdom, C:

Your main priority, like stated before, is to get proper gear first, then go in for mastery. It helps healers and it keeps your mitigation, threat, and survivability up. I go for socket bonuses, but with the different colored gems, you can somehow put mastery into every socket, however all your yellows should be the +40 mastery. remember mastery > all, your stam comes from your gear, you dont need health, you need mitigation.

Gem for the bonus by using hybrid gems; Mastery/Parry and Mastery/Stam and pure mastery for yellow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    Gem for the bonus by using hybrid gems; Mastery/Parry and Mastery/Stam and pure mastery for yellow.
    This X1000 also be sure to make use of profession bonuses if availible BSmith sockets pure mastery. JC gems Pure mastery or maybe 1-2 stam gems + mastery.