Thread: Ut2k4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Why does no one play Unreal Tournament 3? I play this at LANs with friends, it's fun and looks great.
    Because it's not UT3 so much as Gears of Unreal Tournament Wars. They might as well have just plastered Marcus Fenix's oversized face everywhere.

The graphics were a huge step back from UT2k4. Part of the reason UT2k4 was so wildly successful is because the graphics were simplistic, even for their time. Colors were bright and, uh, colorful. Textures weren't overly complex and fuck bump-mapping. It was clear they wanted the focus to be on the action, not on the scenery. UT3 turned that on its head with overly complicated textures and muted colors.

The gameplay was either a step in the wrong direction or the right direction, depending on if you preferred UT99 or UT2k4 controls. Most every aspect of the gameplay went back to UT99, which as a veteran of UT2k4 turned me off.

UT3 also removed a lot of the most popular gamemodes. No more Bombing Run, I don't remember Assault being present, and Warfare just felt like Onslaught with a bunch of useless crap tacked on. They did add some interesting deathmatch modes - I loved Titan - but ultimately the best way to play UT2k4 was with teammates, not solo, and most of those deathmatch modes were basically for solo play. I'd play plain old TDM over any of them.

There's a reason the only PC shooter played competitively in any real aspect made in recent times is TF2, and even then it takes a backseat to all of the others. Modern shooters just don't have what it takes, and anyone who tries to babble about COD or Halo is gonna get lynched.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I always thought of UT3 as Unreal Colourpalette 3; it was mediocre gameplay-wise but graphically, aside from the billions of wasted polygons, it was pretty bland.

There are some really nifty maps for the original UT, some of them based on M.C. Escher's work. Serious mindfuck piloting a redeemer rocket through some of that architecture, through portals that loop back on themselves etc.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

2k4 was awesome dude. do people still play? i might have my cds somewhere around here

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking at my UT2004 CDs right now. Might reinstall it, but I don't have much time to play these days unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcare View Post
    2k4 was awesome dude. do people still play? i might have my cds somewhere around here
    Doesn't seem like many, but yeah. I rather waiting on seeing if people would care to play again, I really want to play and it would be nice to have a good decent list going.

10+ Year Old Account
    would if my game wasnt dead not the kind of person to buy the same game again if the old one dies so bb ut04

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcare View Post
    I still have mine installed (I even re-bought it to play through Steam a long while back), and haven't checked in a while, but last time I checked your options were basically DM/TDM on dm-rankin, Onslaught, or maybe some CTF on ctf-face2. Wasn't able to find ANY servers for Bombing Run, Assault, or Mutant.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

If anyone's interested, I regularly play on the VCTF server Roseanne's Bum. It runs a custom RPG system will all sorts of unique and fun weapons.

Sorry if this counts as advertising but I think some of you will really enjoy it.

2k4 was the worst of the series, its like shooting midgets. I still play ut99 instagib ctf from time to time.

Ut3 was actually really good, the u3 engine was the problem. Your fps dictated your mouse lag (the input number above your fps). Most people have vsync due to lcd moniters so the mouse felt like half deadzone.

What makes things worse is the stock ini's for were the ps3. I used to be a very good player in ut99 so know how to get the most out of my ini. When i see the stock memory being 196 (i think, its been awhile) i know for a fact its not a pc ini because the ps3 has 196 megs and i got 4gig. But after I made a number of adjustments my fps were around 300 and i had no input latency.

The gravity was very close to ut99 and you couldnt fly with the wall dodge like in the 2k series's, but it was still very useful when your being overrun or wanna toy with some noobies

Id rate ut99>ut3>2k series. Ut99 is still pretty active believe it or not, there are leagues and other things still going on.