10+ Year Old Account

WoW Causing dropped packets + jitter

Probably this says it much better than I can but:

Load Windows 7 no dropped packets,
    Load WoW start dropping one or two,
    Enter dungeon start dropping more,
    Exit WoW stop dropping packets

What in WoW could be causing this? (This client was downloaded fresh about 2 weeks ago)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-09 at 06:54 PM.

Deleted
    I don't know about the problem, but the video you linked.. I can't see it since it's too long (I've tried the embedded link and on youtube).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    I don't know about the problem, but the video you linked.. I can't see it since it's too long (I've tried the embedded link and on youtube).
    Fixed, stupid youtube....

Deleted
    I don't know too much about your packet loss etc. but I do notice the LUA errors as you log in, ignoring errors in some cases can really hurt your performance. You might also be running at maximum memory usage with all those addons, Recount etc. and who know what else in the background (in Windows). Judging on your load screen that's not an SSD, seems to lag you a lot when initially loading, trying to move at the same time, fly in Hyjal with great view distance.

Also is that with "Optimize for speed" on or off? Try the opposite of whatever you have atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I don't know too much about your packet loss etc. but I do notice the LUA errors as you log in, ignoring errors in some cases can really hurt your performance. You might also be running at maximum memory usage with all those addons, Recount etc. and who know what else in the background (in Windows). Judging on your load screen that's not an SSD, seems to lag you a lot when initially loading, trying to move at the same time, fly in Hyjal with great view distance.

Also is that with "Optimize for speed" on or off? Try the opposite of whatever you have atm.
    Got 8GB of RAM with Win7 64-bit, used to run with 4gb of RAM and 200MB of memory usage without issue (back in BC/Wrath)
    Didn't realise an SSD was a requirement for a lag free gaming experience?

The Video will be a little jumpy becuase it's only recording at 30FPS not 60. (wasn't expecting the filesize to be so small, used to FRAPS which uses up LOADS of space) it's more to show exactly when the packets are being lost etc...

The LUA error is:
    Date: 2011-11-09 19:15:10
    ID: 1
    Error occured in: Global
    Count: 1
    Message: ...Bar_FriendsFu\libs\LibTourist-3.0\LibTourist-3.0.lua line 3385:
    attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
    Debug:
    [C]: ?
    ...Bar_FriendsFu\libs\LibTourist-3.0\LibTourist-3.0.lua:3385: in main chunk
    AddOns:
    Swatter, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    ACP, v3.3.16
    AdvancedTradeSkillWindow, v
    AltClickToAddItem, v1.4
    AucAdvanced, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    AucFilterBasic, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    AucFilterOutlier, v5.12.5198.5194(5.12/embedded)
    AucMatchUndercut, v5.12.5198.4828(5.12/embedded)
    AucStatHistogram, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    AucStatiLevel, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    AucStatPurchased, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    AucStatSales, v5.12.5198.4838(5.12/embedded)
    AucStatSimple, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    AucStatStdDev, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    AucStatWOWEcon, v5.12.5198.4828(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilAHWindowControl, v5.12.5198.5133(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilAppraiser, v5.12.5198.5194(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilAskPrice, v5.12.5198.5162(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilAutoMagic, v5.12.5198.5184(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilCompactUI, v5.12.5198.5016(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilEasyBuyout, v5.12.5198.4897(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilFixAH, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    AucUtilItemSuggest, v5.12.5198.5144(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilPriceLevel, v5.12.5198.4861(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilScanButton, v5.12.5198.5159(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilScanFinish, v5.12.5198.5159(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilScanProgress, v5.12.5198.4979(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilScanStart, v5.12.5198.5159(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilSearchUI, v5.12.5198.5184(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilSimpleAuction, v5.12.5198.4993(5.12/embedded)
    AucUtilVendMarkup, v5.12.5198.4828(5.12/embedded)
    Babylonian, v5.1.DEV.312(/embedded)
    Bartender4, v4.4.19
    BeanCounter, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    Configator, v5.1.DEV.312(/embedded)
    DBMCore, v
    DebugLib, v5.1.DEV.312(/embedded)
    DoubleClickBuyout, v1.0.0
    ElkBuffBars, v2.3.0-165
    Enchantrix, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    EnchantrixBarker, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    Fizzle, vv1.5.3
    FuBar, v
    FuBarExperienceFu, v1.1 $Revision: 65606 $
    FuBarFriendsFu, v2.4.4-103
    LibExtraTip, v5.12.DEV.311(/embedded)
    LibRock10, v
    SlideBar, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    Stubby, v5.12.5198 (QuirkyKiwi)
    TipHelper, v5.12.DEV.310(/embedded)
    BlizRuntimeLib_enUS v4.2.2.40200 <eu>
    (ck=800)
    (Not related) - the issue happens with and without addons
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-09 at 07:20 PM.

What sort of impact is it having on your gameplay? The video makes it hard to tell if it's just a recording issue or if there is an actual performance hit from a lost packet. Generally speaking individual lost packets are not new...they happen all the time.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    What sort of impact is it having on your gameplay? The video makes it hard to tell if it's just a recording issue or if there is an actual performance hit from a lost packet. Generally speaking individual lost packets are not new...they happen all the time.
    I'll have to record a raid at some point... sometimes it causes frequent random disconnects.

And sure... disconnecting randomly isn't overall a new thing... but it is to me... as is the lag spikes. As for the background the system tray consists of Bluetooth, (Which is disabled anyway), Rainmeter and MSE

As for the actual performance hit, that's probably a very good example of a playable 15mins.
    Most times it's much like this, but a little too often it drops down to plain "freezing" (I can still move my character but everyone else is frozen) more like:

or

That occuthar video is a better example, ty.

Have you already eliminated other third party hardware, such as a router? Or is your modem an "all in one" gateway device? Does this affect any other games? Is your in-game voice chat enabled or disabled?

Rather than repost, this page has some things to check, more importantly the points at the bottom:
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Network_card_settings

I don't have it right in front of me either, but there's a set of network options in WoW. Make sure that the ipv6 option is disabled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both "Optimize for Network Speed" and "Enable IPV6 when available" are disabled.

Unknown about the gateway, After several long conversations with the ISP they concluded it was a problem with the windows install.... However after a fresh install I still have the same problem even with only Win7 + LAN and Graphics Drivers + WoW.

I have run Leatrix Latency Fix, but with no effect (Seems it only helps lower pings in general, rather than reduce any spikes)

I've done that stuff shown on that link you said...
    It seems to have worked :-) although I will have to check again tomorrow during the day, as it could be that there is just less traffic on the network (given that it is just gone midnight)

Deleted
    I never said SSD was a requirement, I was just observating what is going on and looking for anything and everything that could help you better locate the issue. Your 8GB RAM isn't going to help anything because WoW is a 32bit application and it can't really use more than 2GB, so yes LUA errors and big Recount log can definitely have a bad impact.

I hope you find a solution though.

as for Liatrix, it will actually lower latency but can in some instance hurt more than it helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    That occuthar video is a better example, ty.

Have you already eliminated other third party hardware, such as a router? Or is your modem an "all in one" gateway device? Does this affect any other games? Is your in-game voice chat enabled or disabled?

Rather than repost, this page has some things to check, more importantly the points at the bottom:
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Network_card_settings

I don't have it right in front of me either, but there's a set of network options in WoW. Make sure that the ipv6 option is disabled.
    You need Kissing:

Initial result while playing:

Result while sleeping:

(Left some pings going last night)
    Ping statistics for 10.67.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 10000, Received = 10000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms
    Ping statistics for 209.85.229.105:
    Packets: Sent = 10000, Received = 9999, Lost = 1 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 12ms
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-10 at 11:11 AM.

the last time I had this problem, it was my ISP's fault. you should call them to check on your stuff

Deleted
    Sry, can't see the pings in the videos, the text is too small.

I assume that you are pinging both your gateway (10.67.0.1), and an external address (209.85.229.105), and that both of them are losing packets? That would mean, that your internal network connection is also timing out, right? Are you using WLAN or cabled network (or something "exotic" like powerline)? (I'm guessing WLAN and that that's your problem... If I'm correct, could you try with a cable?) What is your LAN connection speed?

For ICMP to time out, you usually need to exceed 1000 miliseconds RTD, which is really hard to do in LAN unless something is horribly wrong or you're pushing performance and moving a lot of data...
    Last edited by mmocaa32d79adc; 2011-11-10 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    You need Kissing:

Initial result while playing:

Result while sleeping:

(Left some pings going last night)
    Which settings did you change? Was it the checksum offloading or the duplex settings?

Have you tried to disable some of the in game combat log thingies ? It records everything that happens, and you probably dont need it to

It is probably Your ISP fault. Try maybe Leatrix Latency Fix http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html, it sometimes helps. It helped me with latency, now I always have like 40ms. No packets lost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which settings did you change? Was it the checksum offloading or the duplex settings?
    Just disabled:
    QoS Packet Scheduler,
    Internet Protocol Version 6,
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver,
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

Then successfully completed Throne of the Four Winds, Black Wing Decent and Bastion of Twilight without a single hiccup. (I had the 10k packets ping running during those raids.

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 05:23 PM ----------

After further investigation it seems that the network just can't handle IPV6, which is rather odd... seeing as I had no problem with it last year. (Turned everything else back to "defaults" and left Internet Protocol Version 6 unchecked (disabled)

Last edited by Djinni; 2011-11-10 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Just disabled:
    QoS Packet Scheduler,
    Internet Protocol Version 6,
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver,
    Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

Then successfully completed Throne of the Four Winds, Black Wing Decent and Bastion of Twilight without a single hiccup. (I had the 10k packets ping running during those raids.

---------- Post added 2011-11-10 at 05:23 PM ----------

After further investigation it seems that the network just can't handle IPV6, which is rather odd... seeing as I had no problem with it last year. (Turned everything else back to "defaults" and left Internet Protocol Version 6 unchecked (disabled)

Yeah that is strange. It shouldn't normally cause any interference if the protocol is not being utilized. Could be a driver related issue, can always check the manufacturer of your motherboard to see if there's an updated intel chipset driver package that is newer than the one on your motherboard support CD. Or leave it as is and consider it case closed. Glad it helped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that is strange. It shouldn't normally cause any interference if the protocol is not being utilized. Could be a driver related issue, can always check the manufacturer of your motherboard to see if there's an updated intel chipset driver package that is newer than the one on your motherboard support CD. Or leave it as is and consider it case closed. Glad it helped.
    I'll be leaving it.. and yeah if it's not being used I couldn't see why it was causing an issue either.... Guess it's just not an IPV6 enabled network anymore..... Kinda stupid... I didn't have this problem the last 3 years. As for drivers they're all fresh off the ASUS website:
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...lGHLJGJPFfGCFA
    And since I had the problem on my laptop I'd be suspicious of any driver issue.