Deleted

My harddrive is acting weird

It's been making that BRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM sound a lot, as far as I'm aware that's the sign that my harddrive is failing. Well, it's been going on for 1-2 years now. And it only starts brumming when I've used it a while. If I leave it alone for say, a week, it wont brum until some days have gone since I first started it.

It doesn't seem incredibly failing to me, honestly, but the brumming sound is very annoying. Is my harddrive really failing, or is it just dusty or what? I just want that brumm-sound gone.

Is this a standard HDD? If so get a cooler for it, they are cheap. make sure you get a 4 pin "Y" connector too, in case you don't have any free 4 pins connectors.

If it does die, you can still get the info off if you drop the HDD temperature way down, it causes the metal to move and warp back into place (that's if it starts clicking.)

If it dies in any other way I do not know much about retrieving the data.

In my experiences UDDs usually die in one of 2 ways, either warped metal parts, or over heating.
    Last edited by Build; 2011-11-09 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Th sound starting after it has been on for awhile tells me it is eventually over heating, at least that is what I suggest.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds can mean a lot of things. Before making any brash assumptions you should download HDDScan and run a surface read test. If any bad blocks are found during the surface read test then you know you have a failing drive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Sounds can mean a lot of things. Before making any brash assumptions you should download HDDScan and run a surface read test. If any bad blocks are found during the surface read test then you know you have a failing drive.
    I've downloaded HDDScan, but I don't understand the rest. How do I check this you say?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    First step - Select Surface Test

Second Step - Select Read - Then Select Add Test

Third Step - Double click on your test that you just added

Fourth Step - Select Map from the tab - Any bad blocks reported = new hard drive time

Deleted

Alright, if I'm reading this right there are no signs of my harddrive failing. Why does it brum so much then?
    Last edited by mmoc96b28150b7; 2011-11-09 at 10:06 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Could just be a loud hard drive mate. One of my 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blacks is louder than the other 3. As long as it is under a certain db range at the factory during testing it will pass. I forget what the db range is offhand but I know its higher than what I initially expected.

What you want to listen for is loud clicking coming from the drive.

Deleted
    It's very quiet, and sometimes it goes BRUUUUUUUUM, quite frequently. It's very annoying. I don't think it's entirely okay.