GPU Driver crash / signal lost while gaming

I've recently had this issue, in which my GPU (GTX970) "crashes" and I lose display signal from both of my displays. The PC itself doesn't crash. Both displays go dark (lose signal) yet I hear the audio and can type in commands. I've always done a "hard reset" by pressing the reset button as the display adapter doesn't seem to recover.

This issue has only happened during gaming, it seems unlikely that it's caused by heavy load though, as there is no stutter, everything just goes black in a seconds notice. According to Windows 10 logs there was a display driver crash. This far this has happened several times in Rise of the Tomb Raider (testing heavy load settings) and once in WoW (after raid has ended, system was not under heavy load, we were just hanging out at Ursoc, not in combat). I play WoW and most other games at maximum settings yet I've had minimum issues except this issue. For example I can play Doom and Witcher 3 for hours and this hasn't happened. Then again, I've had the crash probably 5 to 10 times, during a months time.

I'm unsure if this issue started with my fresh Windows 10 install about a month ago, which I was forced to do as the previous install got corrupted. I've reinstalled everything OS related, except games which I copied from previous install / backup. Clean install on WoW.

PC:
    Core i7-2.6k @ 3.40 Ghz (stock)
    Asus P8H67 (non-revision)
    8GB RAM (not sure of specs)
    Asus Nvidia GTX970 (Strix DCU2) (stock clocks) newest drivers
    Sound Blaster Z
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 128Gb (OS disk)
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120Gb (WoW & Witcher 3)
    Samsung HD103SJ 1 TB Data & Game HDD
    Corsair CX600W PSU

PC is about 5 year old (excluding GPU and SDDs, Audio)

Samsung SMBX2450L DVI Connection with HDMI adapter
    Asus VE247 HDMI Connection
    Creative Gigaworks Speakers
    CM Quickfire Storm
    Logitech G500 Proteus mouse
    100mbps cable modem internet Intel Gigabit CT Adapter with Cisco box

I've read that excessive amounts of dust inside your PC can cause issues like this, but a driver software crash? I've opened my case today and there was surprisingly little amounts of dust even though my PC is on the floor level and it's feels like it is really gathering dust (no pun) down there. There is just no room on the desk for the case. I cleaned whatever dust I could but there still is some amounts of it (there could be a lot more!). I checked GPU and fans and everything was dust free and not blocked by dust or anything. The GPU has been used for about 4 months so there couldn't be that much dust, anyway.

I haven't done a proper "clean" install of display drivers, however, I reinstalled Windows 10 about a month ago so it has been possible to update the drivers probably once during this time. Yesterday after the latest crash I reinstalled display drivers by doing a "clean install" by GFExperience (but this does only reset settings, not actually clean your system 100% from old driver files?). I tend to run CCleaner regularly and have Malwarebytes and Windows Defender as antivirus. I think twice before doing anything in the internet these days so this shouldn't be hijack/malware issue anyway.

The crash has only happened while gaming, not while idle or watching streams / browsing. I spend most of my free time on the PC, I should have noticed it.

Any tips / help would be appreciated! Please notify me if I forgot to mention something.

I'd go with the proper clean install of GPU drivers as the first port of call. Run CCleaners registry cleanup after you uninstall everything just to be sure. Disable the auto install of new drivers after you reboot and get the Nvidia ones directly.

A long shot but check your cables are tightly pushed in.

I take it you have checked temps around the time of crash to make sure it's not a thermal issue?
    Last edited by Steik; 2016-10-24 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steik View Post
    I'd go with the proper clean install of GPU drivers as the first port of call. Run CCleaners registry cleanup after you uninstall everything just to be sure. Disable the auto install of new drivers after you reboot and get the Nvidia ones directly.

A long shot but check your cables are tightly pushed in.

I take it you have checked temps around the time of crash to make sure it's not a thermal issue?
    I shall do a clean install next. I think I just could leave GFExperience app out, I have no other use for it, except it notifies me from new drivers. If I do a manual clean install every time from now on..?

I opened my case today, I was busy while cleaning so I didn't remember to check all the cables inside the case. I shall check it again tomorrow/later. Cables outside the case should be tightly pushed in (I reapplied each of them).

I don't have a temperature meter program installed, sorry. I had them in the previous Windows 10 installation.

I might have some kind of temperature issue though. But I'm quite sure it's just bad data shown in error in the temperature programs. About an year ago my CPU fan (stock) died so I had to replace it. I now have a proper heatsink/Fan combo, it's huge block of metal, probably by Coolermaster.

After switching the CPU cooling back then I installed a temperature program (HWMonitor), and it was yelling me that some component was at 80'C all the time. I think it was the south bridge block on the Motherboard (can't remember it's proper name). However, my system was completely stable for at least half an year and there has been no crashing or any other kinds of issues until now.

E: installed HWMonitor again, the CPUTIN is still showing 78-84'C idle. I just call this bad data from heat sensor. I asked other people back then and everyone seemed to agree. I mean 80'C is almost like Sauna temperature, my PC should be crashing all the time or burnt out by now.
    Last edited by dragothica; 2016-10-24 at 04:11 PM.

I use HWMonitor as well and have had no issues with it. Did you build the PC yourself? Might be a monitoring cable wrongly put, i did that on one of my builds.

If you are concerned about dust even after cleaning you could try and remove the GPU and give everything a blast with compressed air. Probably pointless but may solve something. Had some random boot issues solved before just by reseating every component/cable.

It was built for my by a company which sells multiple builds with their branding. The build has been superb, all these 5 years and I have had absolutely no PC issues at all.

I don't know about the monitoring cable, I replaced the CPU cooler myself with a IT support guy who helped me.

Did a clean driver install now, we shall see if the crash happens again in the following weeks. I left GFE out, shall try to remember updating drivers sometimes.

Issue in OP happened again. I had just launched Dark Souls 3 and started to move my character. Then I heard a small audio rattle and lost video signal, didn't lose audio. I had to reset the PC as it didn't recover after a while.

Issue happened again, this time in WoW, a moment after I had logged in and started flying out towards the raid from Dalaran.

Anyway, I did get a display driver related error yesterday, specifically "nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has recovered" in the Windows 10 Event viewer. Today I didn't get this error, however I did reset the PC as soon as I lost the signal so the drivers might not have had time to "recover" like yesterday.

I don't see the "nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has recovered" message in the pop-up screen at the notification area as my monitors are both black (signal lost).

I wonder, would it be any use to take a closer look at Windows 10 event logs? These things are somewhat mysterious to me though.

After today's crash I've already made a "TdrDelay 10" regedit and done another clean driver install to newest Nvidia drivers (this time with GFXP).

Another reminder, the issue has only happened during gaming, not while idle/surfing/watching streams. It can happen anytime, not just under heavy load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shameless Necro, but this issue is still happening, it happens from weekly to daily, depending on how often I use the PC for gaming. It still doesn't happen while idle or watching streams/browsing.

I've tried everything I can easily test out, from fresh Windows 10 installation to older drivers and finally a GPU BIOS updated (not sure if it installed anything though). The GPU BIOS update was today, fresh install of Windows 10 couple of days ago. The core issue is the RNG factor, the nvlddmkm error may or might not happen while gaming, so there's no quick stress test option available.

One thing I've noticed is the increasing amount of errors in Windows 10 Event Viewer, there were literally hundreds of "nvlddmkm errors" listed there, all from a single crash (same timestamp). I noticed this couple of weeks ago and then two days ago the issue happened 3 times in 24 hours, which made me reinstall Windows from scratch (Reset PC with Clear System HDD). I was able to play for couple of days with no issues, until the issue happened again today while playing Mass Effect Andromeda for a hour or so. During this time period after reinstallation I was able to raid in WoW and do dailies with no issues, even played 6 hours of Life is Strange with no errors.

After the last error there were again hundreds of "nvlddmkm error" messages in the Event Viewer, this makes me think the GPU is the fault, not just drivers going crazy. I guess I could still RMA the device after an year of use but then again it usually works, it doesn't usually crash every time I boot up a game. Waiting for RMA replacement GPU is one of the factors which make me doubt should I RMA it or not.

Sorry for making a long post here and not on Nvidia official forums. The issue is so blown open wide there that no-one usually even replies to posts related "nvlddmkm error".

Looks like a GPU power/GPU degradation issue. Seems to happen only under load. I'd look for inflated capacitors on GPU/motherboard.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 256GB Samsung EVO 850 PRO | 2TB WD2003FZEX | 2TB WD20EFRX | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | Chieftec BPS-850C | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | Tt eSPORTS POSSEIDON | Kingston HyperX Cloud | BenQ XL2411T

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    I've recently had this issue, in which my GPU (GTX970) "crashes" and I lose display signal from both of my displays. The PC itself doesn't crash. Both displays go dark (lose signal) yet I hear the audio and can type in commands. I've always done a "hard reset" by pressing the reset button as the display adapter doesn't seem to recover.

This issue has only happened during gaming, it seems unlikely that it's caused by heavy load though, as there is no stutter, everything just goes black in a seconds notice. According to Windows 10 logs there was a display driver crash. This far this has happened several times in Rise of the Tomb Raider (testing heavy load settings) and once in WoW (after raid has ended, system was not under heavy load, we were just hanging out at Ursoc, not in combat). I play WoW and most other games at maximum settings yet I've had minimum issues except this issue. For example I can play Doom and Witcher 3 for hours and this hasn't happened. Then again, I've had the crash probably 5 to 10 times, during a months time.

I'm unsure if this issue started with my fresh Windows 10 install about a month ago, which I was forced to do as the previous install got corrupted. I've reinstalled everything OS related, except games which I copied from previous install / backup. Clean install on WoW.

PC:
    Core i7-2.6k @ 3.40 Ghz (stock)
    Asus P8H67 (non-revision)
    8GB RAM (not sure of specs)
    Asus Nvidia GTX970 (Strix DCU2) (stock clocks) newest drivers
    Sound Blaster Z
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 128Gb (OS disk)
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120Gb (WoW & Witcher 3)
    Samsung HD103SJ 1 TB Data & Game HDD
    Corsair CX600W PSU

PC is about 5 year old (excluding GPU and SDDs, Audio)

Samsung SMBX2450L DVI Connection with HDMI adapter
    Asus VE247 HDMI Connection
    Creative Gigaworks Speakers
    CM Quickfire Storm
    Logitech G500 Proteus mouse
    100mbps cable modem internet Intel Gigabit CT Adapter with Cisco box

I've read that excessive amounts of dust inside your PC can cause issues like this, but a driver software crash? I've opened my case today and there was surprisingly little amounts of dust even though my PC is on the floor level and it's feels like it is really gathering dust (no pun) down there. There is just no room on the desk for the case. I cleaned whatever dust I could but there still is some amounts of it (there could be a lot more!). I checked GPU and fans and everything was dust free and not blocked by dust or anything. The GPU has been used for about 4 months so there couldn't be that much dust, anyway.

I haven't done a proper "clean" install of display drivers, however, I reinstalled Windows 10 about a month ago so it has been possible to update the drivers probably once during this time. Yesterday after the latest crash I reinstalled display drivers by doing a "clean install" by GFExperience (but this does only reset settings, not actually clean your system 100% from old driver files?). I tend to run CCleaner regularly and have Malwarebytes and Windows Defender as antivirus. I think twice before doing anything in the internet these days so this shouldn't be hijack/malware issue anyway.

The crash has only happened while gaming, not while idle or watching streams / browsing. I spend most of my free time on the PC, I should have noticed it.

Any tips / help would be appreciated! Please notify me if I forgot to mention something.
    Sounds alot like the problem the 500 series had. Wrong settings on memory and Voltage. try and up the the voltage on the card, because it sounds like the card is not giving itself enough voltage when under load.

I fixed the problem on my GTX 580 by upping the voltage to 1000mV. I didn't need to do any thing with the mem clock, so start with the voltage
    Intel core i5 [email protected],6 GHz: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce OC: CORSAIR RMx 750W: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX Red 16GB DDR4 3200MHz: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: Creative Sound Blaster Z: Phanteks Enthoo Pro:

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Looks like a GPU power/GPU degradation issue. Seems to happen only under load. I'd look for inflated capacitors on GPU/motherboard.
    Opened the case today and removed the GPU, couldn't see any obviously bloated capacitors. I couldn't remove GPU fans but I tried looking from every angle. I had quite a bit of dust inside the case (not THAT much though). I really should have kept a better care of this PC and placing the case on the floor is something you should never do. Well, will keep better care of the next future PC, this one is already a small lost cause..

For example my RAM Sticks are so old-school they aren't even cased in plastic. Apparently most of the dust was on-top of RAM Sticks, but not on the motherboard connectors. I tried to take some of it off, but my CPU Heatsink is way too massive for this setup and it almost covered the RAM connectors, so I couldn't take it apart easily.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Sounds alot like the problem the 500 series had. Wrong settings on memory and Voltage. try and up the the voltage on the card, because it sounds like the card is not giving itself enough voltage when under load.

I fixed the problem on my GTX 580 by upping the voltage to 1000mV. I didn't need to do any thing with the mem clock, so start with the voltage
    Any tips how to up the voltage? I got MSI Afterburner, it's showing 850 mV by default. I've unlocked the Voltage Control, but it definitely doesn't go up to 1000 mV (+37 "units" is max). How high should I go? I believe it maxes out at 875mV, unless the Control Slider is not linear.
    Last edited by dragothica; 2017-07-23 at 09:17 AM.

Opened the case today and removed the GPU, couldn't see any obviously bloated capacitors. I couldn't remove GPU fans but I tried looking from every angle. I had quite a bit of dust inside the case (not THAT much though). I really should have kept a better care of this PC and placing the case on the floor is something you should never do. Well, will keep better care of the next future PC, this one is already a small lost cause..

For example my RAM Sticks are so old-school they aren't even cased in plastic. Apparently most of the dust was on-top of RAM Sticks, but not on the motherboard connectors. I tried to take some of it off, but my CPU Heatsink is way too massive for this setup and it almost covered the RAM connectors, so I couldn't take it apart easily.

Any tips how to up the voltage? I got MSI Afterburner, it's showing 850 mV by default. I've unlocked the Voltage Control, but it definitely doesn't go up to 1000 mV (+37 "units" is max). How high should I go? I believe it maxes out at 875mV, unless the Control Slider is not linear.
    Try and up it by 10-15mV and see if that helps. Most of the time it doesn't need to be upped by much
    Intel core i5 [email protected],6 GHz: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce OC: CORSAIR RMx 750W: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX Red 16GB DDR4 3200MHz: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: Creative Sound Blaster Z: Phanteks Enthoo Pro:

Dust on your RAM sticks = a mat of shit on your CPU cooler, could you get that off and give it a clean? There is no harm in re-seating these either, any paste like arcticmx will do, ensure adequate mounting pressure (did the cooler ship with thermal paste or pad)?

Are you running games full screen or windowed?

Reseat your GPU in the slot, try other 6+2pin power connectors. Try another PSU.

On the voltage side, if you are happy the GPU cooler isn't clogged (the fan shrouds are normally quite easy to remove, often just clipped or screwed to the sink)and the fans spin up normally when loaded, then stick it half way up the slider and see what happens.

Do monitor temps of both cpu and gpu though.

RAM heatsinks are largely irrelevant for mainstream RAM, but are prettier than raw boards. Don't feel bad for not having them

Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    Dust on your RAM sticks = a mat of shit on your CPU cooler, could you get that off and give it a clean? There is no harm in re-seating these either, any paste like arcticmx will do, ensure adequate mounting pressure (did the cooler ship with thermal paste or pad)?

Are you running games full screen or windowed?

Reseat your GPU in the slot, try other 6+2pin power connectors. Try another PSU.

On the voltage side, if you are happy the GPU cooler isn't clogged (the fan shrouds are normally quite easy to remove, often just clipped or screwed to the sink)and the fans spin up normally when loaded, then stick it half way up the slider and see what happens.

Do monitor temps of both cpu and gpu though.

RAM heatsinks are largely irrelevant for mainstream RAM, but are prettier than raw boards. Don't feel bad for not having them
    I shall try removing the RAM Sticks, it's just that there is only millimeters of space as the CPU Cooler is so close by and I don't want to remove the CPU Cooler too, as that is a huge project in itself. I couldn't even install it by myself. I sadly don't have any Compressed Air available, but RAM Sticks definitely need a cleaning.

Took the GPU off, not sure if I have additional set of power connectors, no additional PSU either, no other PC to test on. I shall try to remove GPU cover too, I just didn't have any micro-screwdrivers available so I'm not sure if I can remove it or not.

E: Couldn't remove but one of the two RAM Sticks, CPU Fan was just on the way. Cleaning this with compressed air without taking it apart will be difficult. Found additional power connector though, using it now. GPU temperature 40'C Idle / 70'C while running Unigine Valley max settings 1080p. I upgraded Core Voltage by 15 units and Power Limit by 15% in MSI Afterburner.

CPU temp shouldn't be an issue, the heatsink/Fan is _massive_. I was even running this with stock CPU cooling for years, probably should have upgraded earlier, as stock cooling was miniature compared to this gigantic "new" one.
    Last edited by dragothica; 2017-07-23 at 10:53 AM.

Fair, lack of tools is a bit of a show stopper.

I'm happy to do an abc on cooler removal and replacement if you can tell me your make/model( or pics). It's typically not at all difficult (15min job) if you have 1 medium phillips screwdriver. You will need thermal paste, a $5-7 tube goes a long way (many applications and doesn't degrade). Heatsinks and fans can be brushed off with a little paint brush and vacuumed (off the board). Heatsink vanes can be washed if if you can be bothered, just make sure they are totally dry before you stick them back in the system. I don't wash the coldplate/heatpipe area for this reason.

The above is the first thing I'd rule out if I was you, those temps are insane (if they are to be believed) and suggest the CPU cooler isn't properly mounted.

Are the drivers panicking when switching between different open windows (or more typically when you swap back to the game)?

I'm happy to do an abc on cooler removal and replacement if you can tell me your make/model( or pics). It's typically not at all difficult (15min job) if you have 1 medium phillips screwdriver. You will need thermal paste, a $5-7 tube goes a long way (many applications and doesn't degrade). Heatsinks and fans can be brushed off with a little paint brush and vacuumed (off the board). Heatsink vanes can be washed if if you can be bothered, just make sure they are totally dry before you stick them back in the system. I don't wash the coldplate/heatpipe area for this reason.

The above is the first thing I'd rule out if I was you, those temps are insane (if they are to be believed) and suggest the CPU cooler isn't properly mounted.

Are the drivers panicking when switching between different open windows (or more typically when you swap back to the game)?
    I'm sorry, but aren't 40'C Idle, 70'C Use well within margins of safe temperatures? I'd worry if Use would go well past 80'C. My GPU fans are only on 50% usage even when it's on 70'C. I could force them to run 75% or 100% all the time, as they are set on auto.

CPU cooler is Thermaltake Contac 21. Removing it isn't actually impossible, but to install it I'd have to take a part the whole motherboard and PSU, everything. That's probably what I should do, in this case, anyway.

Drivers are working without any other issues currently, the GPU just crashes and I need hard reset to recover. Switching from window to window is smooth as ever.

Temperatures while browsing (youtube video on other monitor, running):

GPU: 50'C
    CPU: 24-34'C

While running Unigine Valley CPU Temp was around 40-50'C, didn't want to even mention it, back then though.

I shall purchase compressed air and tools tomorrow when the stores are open. Still concidering should I take the whole PC apart just this once, cleaning would be easier at least. I have thermal paste for CPU too, but it was replaced not too long ago when I bought new CPU cooling.
    Last edited by dragothica; 2017-07-23 at 11:44 AM.

WTF are you talking about? those are GPU temps and they are perfectly fine and save

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    WTF are you talking about? those are GPU temps and they are perfectly fine and save
    Yep those temps are fine, I missed the edit between starting reply and posting. CPU temps look fine as well, I was referring to the temps posted earlier

If the problem remains after upping gpu voltage, before looking further on hw, can you up date the mb bios, and if the problem remains another clean os install? Does it make any difference if you run games in windowed mode (apart from the few fps drop)?