Deleted

My CPU is freaking me out

Hi MMO-champs.

I'm sort of freaking out about my CPU, sometimes randomly the fan on it stops, even though i'm not doing anything besides facebook/youtube. Someone told me that the fan stops because there's no pressure or whatever on the CPU, is this true or is it broken?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-core 6000+ 3.0GHz is my CPU. Appreciate it, thanks!

Laptops are usually built to completely shut down fans if the CPU activity is very low, but haven't seen desktop do that. Could be that your CPU fan is dying, or you have a strange desktop computer that actually does full stops of fan when the temperatures are low enough.

Is it some big brand OEM computer or homemade or what?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Laptops are usually built to completely shut down fans if the CPU activity is very low, but haven't seen desktop do that. Could be that your CPU fan is dying, or you have a strange desktop computer that actually does full stops of fan when the temperatures are low enough.

Is it some big brand OEM computer or homemade or what?
    It's sort of homemade, I didn't build it but the store from which I bought it had built it themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, that fan should always run. Check connections or take it back to them, this will not end well for the CPU.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Put a load on the cpu and use core temp to monitor the temps. If the fan shuts off while under load you have a problem

We're not ADM64's the one's with that "Cool and Quiet" gubbins.

As long as it fires up when it gets hot, there's little problem. Maybe you just have good enough cooling in the rest of the case to keep the air flow going.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyroox View Post
    It's sort of homemade, I didn't build it but the store from which I bought it had built it themselves.
    CPU fan should never stop completely on any tabletop computer, also the motherboard should automatically shut down the computer if that happens. Get some program like hwmonitor you can use to check temperatures and fan speeds, and record what kind of numbers you see in the program when tha fan actually stops.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.