AX1200 random shut off need advice

So last night I was reading the forums here and my computer powered off with no warning. The system was not under any load the only thing I had open was my browser.

At first I thought the circuit breaker popped because I live in an apartment and I have a long history of this happening in the computer room but the tv in the room still had power so that was ruled out. I hit the power button to see if it would turn back on and it did not, not even a whimper. I do have the system and monitor connected to a UPS battery backup because of the breaker problem. The montior still had power so I ruled out the UPS unit itself as the problem.

I have an ASUS motherboard with led power/reset button on the motherboard which remains lit even if I power down the system but they were not lit as if I had turned the PSU switch off. At this point I turned the switch on the PSU off and on again to see if I could get a response and I did. The power/reset leds started to come on but then there was a faint pop/clicking noise and they went out again. So I turned the PSU switch off and left it there for a few mintues before turning it back on and this time it stayed on and I was able to boot into windows. So I ruled out the individual socket on the UPS being faulty

I shut it down right after I got back into windows because I was afraid of risking damage to my components , its happened to me before OCZ psu died and took my whole system with it. I bought the PSU at the end of June so its not even 5 months old at this point

My case is the antec 900 and I normally have the fans cranked up, noise doesnt bother me. I dont overclock but I am using the stock cpu cooler (PIIx4 955 BE) under load the hottest core temp I have seen is 45c and hottest gpu temp I have seen is 60c (5870) but as I said at the time of the shut off it was not under load so I dont think is was a temp issue

Am I right in thinking the AX1200 is faulty/dying in some way ? I have already put a ticket in with corsair to see what they have to say.

edit: Like to add this is the first problem of any kind I've had with this build (had a TX750 in the system before) , the first sign of trouble the AX1200 has given me been rock solid up until now. And I know the AX1200 is overkill but was planning more gpu's but I got engaged and now have a wedding to pay for
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2011-11-12 at 10:39 PM.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Faint pop / clicking sound can be an indicator of a fuse popping, electrical short, or capacitor popping. More than likely the damage is in the power supply, hopefully this hasn't affected your motherboard but you won't know until you change out the power supply.

I'm no expert on PSU's by far but that was my thinking as well. I'll be soooo pissed if my other components are damaged because of this as I said I had a OCZ psu die on me before and it kill my motherboard , cpu , and ram with it.

Hopefully I have a good experience with corsair customer service. I dont want to sink more money into this build and I cant afford to get the new sandybridge build I want :P
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |