10+ Year Old Account
    trolling the enemy team with my shaco juke

Exercising Question

hey guys, me and a friend usually job for 20 - 25m but recently we've been getting really really bored off it and cant seem to get past 10m, so we decided to spar for fitness. Usually before we start we do 50 squats, 25 push ups and 25 - 35 sit ups. We cant really think off any other forms off exercise besides the gym ( and we wont go... we both really REALLY hate it )

So today I suggested we spar ( fight ) instead off jogging and there are only 2 rules; no nut attacks and if your standing in the same place you have to bounce with the tip off your toes. How good of an ' exercise ' is this in terms off brain function and calorie burn?

P.S - dont bother saying " but you can get hurt ... etc etc etc " because we're not brain dead chimps and understand, if you dont wanna get hurt you wouldnt agree at the start to even fight

Deleted
    As long as you guys are active and don't cling on each other it will burn a lot of calories without being all that boring.
    I would however suggest getting at least a cup, a mouth guard and wrappings before starting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grifters View Post
    As long as you guys are active and don't cling on each other it will burn a lot of calories without being all that boring.
    I would however suggest getting at least a cup, a mouth guard and wrappings before starting.
    \

whats a wrapping ? also we both have a slightly naive agreement " if you get hit in the balls and mouth its your own fault for not dodging "

Sparring is a great way to exercise but get you some gloves. Rule out any strong strikes to the neck as well as nuts. It doesn't take much at all to do serious spinal damage.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Not really sure why you guys hate the gym?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Not really sure why you guys hate the gym?
    well Vizzle for us being 17 year old its 2 major things that put it off for us

1 - a monthly subscription costs 150 saudi riyals ( around 42 US Dollars )
    2 - the nearest gym is around a 25m - 35m walk
    3 - the time we train, neither off us have anyone to take us / bring us back
    the place we usually exercise is a nice park and its a 10m walk from both our houses
    also there are no public transports in the are i live ( no buses / trains )

Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    hey guys, me and a friend usually job for 20 - 25m but recently we've been getting really really bored off it and cant seem to get past 10m, so we decided to spar for fitness. Usually before we start we do 50 squats, 25 push ups and 25 - 35 sit ups. We cant really think off any other forms off exercise besides the gym ( and we wont go... we both really REALLY hate it )

So today I suggested we spar ( fight ) instead off jogging and there are only 2 rules; no nut attacks and if your standing in the same place you have to bounce with the tip off your toes. How good of an ' exercise ' is this in terms off brain function and calorie burn?

P.S - dont bother saying " but you can get hurt ... etc etc etc " because we're not brain dead chimps and understand, if you dont wanna get hurt you wouldnt agree at the start to even fight
    As long as you're keeping your heart rate up.

Also, jogging isn't that great for fitness. If you want to lose weight you'lll lose more fat doing 6 one-minute sprints 3 times a week than you will jogging 25 min 6 times a week. It's comparable to what a car does. Does it burn more gas slowly getting there, or slamming on the gas, stopping, and slamming on the gas again.

Keep that heart rate up, the higher it is, the more you will burn. And you don't have to go for long intervals.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burning fat or burning energy is based on your Heartrate(BPM), a bpm anywhere between 50- 60% of your maximum BPM(To find your maximum BPM, subtract your age from 220, the remainder is the result)for most people is ideal for burning fat, whereas a higher bpm would cause the body to burn more energy then fat.

TL;DR

Cardio based activities - 50-60% MBPM = Burns fat
    Cardio based activities - 60%> MBPM = Burns a combination of energy and fat(Think of it as a median between the two)

I wouldn't spar to get in shape, I would get in shape to spar. You will need to learn how to fight properly to start sparring. You'll just end up hurting yourselves by throwing a punch wrong. Even if you think you know how to fight, you probably don't. Unless either of you have been trained in any martial arts or by boxing instructors, it's just unlikely you know how to fight.
    If you insist on fighting anyway, get wrist wraps, get gloves/headgear/mouthguards.
    Just remember, you're not going to look like Brad Pitt overnight. You need to exercise along with the sparring and get proper diet. You can easily reduce the amount of calories you take in by switching to water or other zero calorie drinks.

You should just go to the park or run around your neighborhood.
    I do like what the poster above said about 6 one minute sprints 3 times a week.

If you can't think of any other exercises, go to YouTube, they have plenty of exercises, you might think they're silly, but they work. If you're looking for intense workouts, you'll need to join a gym or some sort of martial arts. (or find a friend with p90x or insanity or a home gym.)
    Have you tried lunges? You don't need to go anywhere, you can use little dumbbells in your hand and lunge with each leg. There is a world of different exercises you can do in your home without having to go anywhere. You can do high knees, you can do lunges, get some weights and do squats. Jump roping is a good way to get some exercise. Most of these are cardio, though. If you want core workouts, you'll have to look them up. p90x has an amazing core workout.

As someone who's been training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Boxing for the past two and a half years I suggest you do not spar without being supervised, aka at a Boxing/MMA/Jiu Jitsu Academy. It's a great way to get injured for no reason and if you do not know how to do it correctly, and trust me without proper training you don't, you aren't getting as good of a workout as you think you are.

I do 10 minute grappling (aka rolling) intervals, 6x per class, 2x a day. So overall, around 120 minutes of grappling a day 5x a week and it is a hell of a workout. I really encourage you to check out a gym that has a BJJ or boxing program. It has helped me in other aspects of my life and has taught me a ton about self discipline and the value of hard work. Not to mention the fact that you will be able to defend yourself against 99% of the population if needed.

Find a club. Theres bound to be some sort of MMA club nearby, if not look for a kickboxing club or a BJJ club. Don't spar without supervision and without first learning how to fight. If you do, make it very light, wear gloves and technique spar (you pretty much tap them). Limit takedowns to 0 unless on a padded ground (even grass is dangerous).

Like the guy above me said, BJJ is a fantastic way to get in shape, if you can get past the 'OMG it looks gay'. If you're secure enough in your masculinity it's fantastic. It may not look physically draining, but trust me, stand up fighting is a hell of a lot less tiring than on the ground. If you can't get past that, wrestling is also a fantastic one. But any martial art can be good for fitness, just find one nearby and go to that, often they are cheap because they are funded by the government to help tackle obesity (thank you fat people).

But if you insist on not finding a club, like I said get some heavy gloves (I have a pair of really heavy gloves that you can pretty much punch someone in the face with and it does nothing, great for sparring), 0 takedowns on a non padded surface, no submissions without a registered first aider there (incase they don't tap and pass out or whatever and you have no idea how to check if they are okay). Just make it very gentle stand up, with no kicks to knees or attacks to any joints and/or the spine or back of the head. Literally tap eachother and remember that sparring should never be about hurting your partner but rather about development of technique (which, unless you find a club, you will most likely be developing wrong anyways).
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?