Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewi View Post
    Switch to another Oligopolistic corporation's service that will respect your wishes as a customer.

If none exists, start a business to challenge them.

That's the free market system.
    I don't even want to imagine the money you would need to start up a ISP. & like people have said comcast is such a giant now they could just
    A. Buy you out
    or
    B. lower their prices in your region & starve your company.

im curious whats so wrong about dsl service that you are not willing to consider it. around here its the most popular tech.
    $170 a month sounds extremely expensive.

myself im running with free 100/100MB and I pay 6€ a month for my cellphone - half of the price comes from unlimited mobile data.
    I dont have a tv. (the permit would be 250€/year + potentially 20smth euro a month for channel package )

Deleted
    I currently pay about 47usd for 100mbit up/100 down internet, could add phone for 5usd.
    The Us really needs some proper competition in the ISP sector.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I pay about $55 a month for a 1mbyte connection. I hate how all these joker companies advertize in "bits", nobody seriously measures their connection in bits. Internet costs me about twice as much as power/gas.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The general problem with DSL in the US is that a good 70% or more of our phone lines are not capable of handling DSL speeds above 5Mbs down. Yes in the cities its usually way better but were a good number of people live its either a high priced decent speed cable connection or a lower priced DSL that is also slower and far less stable. I have friends in several states that have that same issue as I do, so we all picked the higher price because the speed of the internet matters more than the price.
    Cairne, my brother, I will avenge your death, Magatha Grimtotem and her followers will pay with their lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently I have 40 mbps down, 2 mbps up @ 80$ a month. internet alone. Then we got DirecTV with everything which is like $200 or something. THough I use a local regional ISP (Sonic.net) amazing service. Also its ADSL2+ with no caps, IPV6, 8 static IPs, and its all great. I recommend checking out local ISPs over nationwide corps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    I currently have Uverse. Paying about $170 a month avg. U300, 12 mb internet, and the phone. ( no movie channels )

God thats a lot of money.
    Ehm, I'm paying € 100 a month, and I get 120 Mbit internet and phone. Yes, it's kinda expensive but at least I get quality.

Though the speed is still quite low for glass fiber cables in my opinion, they can easily upgrade the speed a lot more. If it goes at nearly the speed of light, 1 Gbit shouldn't be too difficult, right?

---------- Post added 2011-11-16 at 09:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    wow $20 for 60 mpbs. insane. i wish america would upgrade its infrastructure
    America has an incredibly outdated electricity network that badly needs an upgrade. But America doesn't have the money for it, and maybe never will.
    Last edited by mmoceb1605b3cd; 2011-11-16 at 08:32 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Yeah, I pay about $55 a month for a 1mbyte connection. I hate how all these joker companies advertize in "bits", nobody seriously measures their connection in bits. Internet costs me about twice as much as power/gas.
    Entire networking world is wrong then

Btw sorry you only get 1 Byte i guess per second. M=Mega m=milli M=1000000 m=0.001
    Last edited by mmoc9edb066cd1; 2011-11-16 at 09:18 AM.

Damn, sometimes I forget how cheap it is living in Asia.

I'm getting 10mbps for 800 Philippine pesos a month, which is the equivalent of about 20 ish USD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Though the speed is still quite low for glass fiber cables in my opinion, they can easily upgrade the speed a lot more. If it goes at nearly the speed of light, 1 Gbit shouldn't be too difficult, right?
    No but its not always the capacity in the connection to the enduser which puts the limit on whats reasonable to sell to the enduser but instead the upstream speed for the isp.
    Example
    Today you isp might sell 100x120 Mbps (12 Gbps)with a 10 Gbps connection which is 20% oversell but unless everyone uses "hungry" protocols at the same time only 10Gbps or less gets used so in practice its pretty much 1:1 ratio.
    Now your isp brings you all upp to 1 Gbps which means he now have oversold capacity by 10 times but still chances that you will notice it is still fairly low barring those "hungry" protocols.
    Problem is that in your current situation your isp has probably already oversold that capacity with 10 if hes nice but more likely 50-100 times or more already since usagepatterns vary heavily between users.

I'm paying 17 eur/month for this and tv :S

I'm shocked to see how much others pay, and they even have bandwidth limits.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maledictum View Post
    You're just a champ I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    You're just a champ I guess....
    I don't know how you took it, but I wasn't bragging and I meant it when I said I'm amazed at the prices in other places for (limited) services.

holy sh... 170$ month.

well, sucks if thats your only 2 choices. even switzerland is cheaper oO. 50mbit + digital tv (although no sky network/teleclub) for 69 CHF which is ~75$
    "Sir, we are surrounded, Sir"
    "Excellent, we can attack in every direction"

I'd rather pay my $69 AUD /500GB per month plan 20mbps up /2mbps down and live the dream in Australia then be living in Romania

I don't even come close to 500GB per month, and I download lots of shows.

Anyone see the irony that a guy living in Romania have 1000 times better internet connection for one 10:th or even 20:th the price of
    what people in the US pays, i guess thats the kind of "economic democracy" they fight a few wars here and there for so everyone worldwide eventually can
    be buttfucked by their cooperations.

Personally i live in Sweden and would much rather move to Romania then to the USofA.
    Atm i pay 9 euro/month for a 10/10mb connection with no up/download restrictions.

Lol people paying 150-175USD for internet and some cable TV

srsly you guys are complaining about $150 for tv/internet and a DSL connection, move to Canada I pay over $200 for internet/basic satellite tv, and my connection goes to 400Kbits on a good day, and we only get 80 GB total bandwidth its per month, $4.50 per GB after that.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2011-11-16 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by codsafish View Post
    I'd rather pay my $69 AUD /500GB per month plan 20mbps up /2mbps down and live the dream in Australia then be living in Romania
    Shoo I would too >.<

Deleted
    100MB up / 100MB down. 34USD/month.
    You'd think occupy wall street could bitch about bad infrastructure for you guys too :P

I'm paying roughly £70 for unlimted BB (which is truly unlimited dont get throttled down to like 9kbs after so much dl's), Tv channels inc. movies(no sports channels) and the phone line+calls and this is with sky.
    I'm Clara the impossible girl, and I was born to save the Doctor.