Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Beta and Early Access question

I have pre-orded the game and signed up for beta testing prior to nov 11th. My question is, can I download the game before the beta test days(which I still have not recieved an exact day that will be) so i can play as soon as they open it up? Also the early access to the game up to 5 days prior, how does that work since I have not paid for the game in full? Will I be able to download it and play up until time of launch then have to have the seriel number from the box copy to continue?

Quote Originally Posted by pcbogey View Post
    I have pre-orded the game and signed up for beta testing prior to nov 11th. My question is, can I download the game before the beta test days(which I still have not recieved an exact day that will be) so i can play as soon as they open it up? Also the early access to the game up to 5 days prior, how does that work since I have not paid for the game in full? Will I be able to download it and play up until time of launch then have to have the seriel number from the box copy to continue?
    For the beta they will give a few days prior to the event starting to download the client and patch it to play as servers come up, just depends on your luck of the draw when they send out the invites because they will be in phases of invite waves to control how much downloads and actual people are present first day of beta.

Early Access will be sporadic as well, not everyone will get the 5 days early, if you just redeemed the code then it will most likely be awarded 1 or 2 days early access. Once the game launches they did mention there will be a grace period to allow for the physical copies of the game to be delivered since the release is pretty close to Christmas and it will be pretty hectic with deliveries during those times.
    Thanks Caiti for the Signature and Avatar

15+ Year Old Account
    Its not this weekend, probably the next one.
    You should be able to start to download of the client on the Wednesday.

For both, yes, you will be notified in advance that the game is available to download. If you're connection is really slow, you may not be ready for the launch, but typical warning is 3-4 days.

Early access is a chance at the game. It also includes a "grace period" for those ordering physical copies through services like Amazon, so they aren't stuck out if there are delays through the post.

Once the grace period is up, yes, you will be required to enter the serial key from your boxed copy to continue. Also note, the 30 free days begins on the 20th, regardless of when you enter the key.

They will send you an email with the instructions you need to download the client, once you get that installed (very quick) you just need to run it and let it download the beta and patches (very long). Just watch for the email bascily.

Early Access - Access is based on when you redeemed your code, first come, first serve process. For example, I put my pre-order and registered my code the day pre-orders went up. I'll be in on the 15th.

Beta Weekend - You will get the email by the Tuesday/Wednesday prior to the planned weekend to RSVP your slot and then download the client. Even with my 5Mb/s max speed, I had it done in about 12hrs.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I got the email as well when they all went out. I do hope they let us download the client a few days in advance seeing as it's "only a weekend" test thing. from what a friend told me who is in the beta the client is 37gig(or around there I don't honestly remember) that's a TON of stuff to download for a "weekend" testing deal would lose a lot of time getting to actually play the game which would very much suck.

Quote Originally Posted by cidic View Post
    I got the email as well when they all went out. I do hope they let us download the client a few days in advance seeing as it's "only a weekend" test thing. from what a friend told me who is in the beta the client is 37gig(or around there I don't honestly remember) that's a TON of stuff to download for a "weekend" testing deal would lose a lot of time getting to actually play the game which would very much suck.
    You will be able to download days prior to the testing, and they will let you know. This is a case of being prepared, not complain when you forgot to plan. Sooo, just keep up to date on their e-mails and http://www.swtor.com/tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    You will be able to download days prior to the testing, and they will let you know. This is a case of being prepared, not complain when you forgot to plan. Sooo, just keep up to date on their e-mails and http://www.swtor.com/tester
    Trust me I'm keeping an eye on it so that as soon as it shows up I can get it and start downloading it. I'm not complaining at all it just sucks that it's for weekend only so not very much time to actually play and get a real good feel for how the game is and if I'm actually going to really like it is what I really meant. I don't like making snap judgements on games I like playing them for a few when it comes to an MMO I'm going to be paying to play every month.

Its not a free trial its a beta stress test. Thing will change between when you play and when it releases, be aware.

IF you can fit in 10 hours of playtime in one weekend you should be able to make a rational decision about whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by cidic View Post
    Trust me I'm keeping an eye on it so that as soon as it shows up I can get it and start downloading it. I'm not complaining at all it just sucks that it's for weekend only so not very much time to actually play and get a real good feel for how the game is and if I'm actually going to really like it is what I really meant. I don't like making snap judgements on games I like playing them for a few when it comes to an MMO I'm going to be paying to play every month.
    Yea, that's good if you're keeping up on it. You're right that it's "just a weekend", but I was able to get in the last weekend test; and I can tell you, you'll know if you want to get the game or not within the first 5 hours. As to find out which class you want, that's a different story. I hope you already have an idea on that!
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI