Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porra View Post
    Hi. I think I deserve a good BOOMER SOONER for all the crap Ive read on and off this forum about how OU was going to get destroyed. That is all.
    i know that feeling man. i'm a michigan state fan.
    at the beginning of the season the prediction was: we aren't going to beat michigan, let alone win our division.
    we beat michigan
    we won our division
    next we weren't going to beat OSU, because our defense was overrrated.
    we beat OSU.
    next we weren't going to beat Stanford, because OSU was clearly overrated.
    we beat Stanford.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    South Carolina was losing to Wisconsin before their QB got injured. Duke vomited on themselves, you don't squeak by any thinner than what A&M did. LSU struggled with a shit awful Iowa team that lost to NIU at home.

If you were to believe the networks and the posters in this thread you would think the conference should be winning all these games by 20 points. I mean all anyone ever talked about when OSU was about to play in the NC was how pathetic the Big Ten conference was. After Auburn and Vanderbilt lose they will be 5-4 in bowls with a couple of very non impressive wins. This is supposed to be the nation's most dominant conference? Please
    on the other hand, i think the big 10 did pretty good this year (Michigan and Minnesota withheld), they stuck close to LSU, South Carolina, and beat Georgia. they beat Stanford. OSU plays Clemson tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    they played a lesser ranked Nebraska team (and lost)
    they played a lesser ranked Iowa team and won a close hardfought game.
    they played a lesser ranked Wisconsin team, who suffered a QB injury during the game and had to use a backup, and won.

yes they have a winning record, but it's not like they are head and shoulders above the rest of the conferences like SEC fans seem to think.
    Can't win can we?

"Omg SEC totally overrated because Alabama lost! Oh, but, the wins in the other bowl games don't matter, because."
    I have gone on record as saying that the SEC was weaker this year. But you can't dismiss their bowl record just because you think their opponent was meh. Both losses were close (sort of in tonight's game).
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2014-01-03 at 05:41 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Can't win can we?

"Omg SEC totally overrated because Alabama lost! Oh, but, the wins in the other bowl games don't matter, because."
    If the conference wants to trash talk and give us all this crap about 1 loss SEC teams deserve to be in the NC game over undefeated schools from the Big Ten then BACK IT UP. Blow out these schools you think you're so much better than.

All the SEC is is a bit deeper than the other conferences with more quality teams. The top teams aren't any better than the top teams everywhere else. So I don't really care about Miss St. and Ole Miss bowl wins beefing up their bowl record.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can't win can we?

i'm not saying it's a bad conference. indeed i think it's the best there is. i'm saying it isn't HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the rest of the conferences like SEC fans seem to think.

SEC fans would have you think that all of the playoff spots for the NCG next year should be SEC teams.
    they clearly aren't head and shoulders above.
    the number 9 ranked South Carolina beat the number 19 ranked Wisconsin, who had an injured QB during the game. you won. you should have. but it was close. the game was in Florida, practically a home game for South Carolina.
    the number 16 ranked LSU beat the unranked Iowa. by 7. it went right down to the wire. the game was in Florida, practically a home game for LSU.
    the number 22 ranked Georgia Lost to the unranked Nebraska by 5. it went right down to the wire. the game was in Florida, practically a home game for Georgia by anyone's standards.

again. i'm not saying the SEC isn't the best conference. i'm saying that it's not head and shoulders clear cut that the SEC is so much better then everyone else that it isn't even a competition.

3 games. right in your back yard.

i'd LOVE to see Those SEC teams play a Bowl Game in the Big House on New Years Eve. to give you an idea what that would be like, during the Winter Classic this year it snowed throughout the entire DAMN GAME.
    Last edited by AceofHarts; 2014-01-03 at 05:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the conference wants to trash talk and give us all this crap about 1 loss SEC teams deserve to be in the NC game over undefeated schools from the Big Ten then BACK IT UP. Blow out these schools you think you're so much better than.
    Well, not something I ever said. I DID say, though, that at the time, an undefeated Ohio State was a worse team than a one-loss Missouri (I think it was). That's all. I've never said that an undefeated Big 10 team needs to stay out of the title game.

I will say this right now though. Michigan State deserves to be in the title game this year. I'm super impressed by what they've done. Maybe next year, it can all sort out better. Not good, but better.

the number 22 ranked Georgia Lost to the unranked Nebraska by 5. it went right down to the wire.
    They were both 8-4 teams. Hardly a wide gap between competition.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    i'm not saying it's a bad conference. indeed i think it's the best there is. i'm saying it isn't HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the rest of the conferences like SEC fans seem to think.

SEC fans would have you think that all of the playoff spots for the NCG next year should be SEC teams.
    they clearly aren't head and shoulders above.
    the number 9 ranked South Carolina beat the number 19 ranked Wisconsin, who had an injured QB during the game. you won. you should have. but it was close.
    the number 16 ranked LSU beat the unranked Iowa. by 7. it went right down to the wire.
    the number 22 ranked Georgia Lost to the unranked Nebraska by 5. it went right down to the wire.

again. i'm not saying the SEC isn't the best conference. i'm saying that it's not head and shoulders clear cut that the SEC is so much better then everyone else that it isn't even a competition.
    Don't forget Texas A&M. Duke had that game won, plain and simple. They squeaked by because Duke choked. The same Duke that lost to Florida St. 45-7
    Texas A&M lost by 4 to Auburn. The NC should be fun. Like I said, the conference is deeper than everyone else, but its sooooooo overrated.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, not something I ever said. I DID say, though, that at the time, an undefeated Ohio State was a worse team than a one-loss Missouri (I think it was). That's all. I've never said that an undefeated Big 10 team needs to stay out of the title game.

I will say this right now though. Michigan State deserves to be in the title game this year. I'm super impressed by what they've done. Maybe next year, it can all sort out better. Not good, but better.

and yet, the unranked team won. why was Nebraska unranked? why was Georgia ranked? because Georgia plays in the SEC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great game to watch right there.

I always enjoy the ESPN analysts getting proved wrong, and tonight's game and the UCF game yesterday both did a great job with that

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget Texas A&M. Duke had that game won, plain and simple. They squeaked by because Duke choked. The same Duke that lost to Florida St. 45-7
    Texas A&M lost by 4 to Auburn. The NC should be fun. Like I said, the conference is deeper than everyone else, but its sooooooo overrated.
    i'd love to see an SEC team play a bowl game in the cold blustery winds and potential snow fall of an outdoor up north field on new years day.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

I'm not trying to yell at you personally, I'm just so disgusted that ESPN is launching a national network strictly for the SEC conference. It's such a joke. All this bias is going to make it tough to recruit for other schools in other conferences and for no reason, complete hype.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not trying to yell at you personally, I'm just so disgusted that ESPN is launching a national network strictly for the SEC conference. It's such a joke. All this bias is going to make it tough to recruit for other schools in other conferences and for no reason, complete hype.
    It true that it affects recruiting for no good reason. My friend from high school last year was down to FSU and Georgia, and picked UGA strictly because they are SEC

Bet he is regretting that decision a little lol

15+ Year Old Account
    the number 16 ranked LSU beat the unranked Iowa. by 7. it went right down to the wire. the game was in Florida, practically a home game for LSU.
    I'm from Iowa. I'm an Iowa fan. LSU was down Mettenberger and had a QB with his first ever start. Their run game had a field day with us. It would've been a slaughter if he was in, given how absolutely shitty Rudock looked.

Georgia losing to Nebraska, who mind you, Iowa beat 38-17, was an absolute embarrassment though.

Oh wait, Georgia lost Murray, didn't they?
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2014-01-03 at 06:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and yet, the unranked team won. why was Nebraska unranked? why was Georgia ranked? because Georgia plays in the SEC.
    You can't have it both ways. You can't complain that an SEC team should not be ranked higher, then call them overrated because they lost to an equal-record team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Looks like it, yeah. I didn't even know he was out.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2014-01-03 at 06:41 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You can't have it both ways. You can't complain that an SEC team should not be ranked higher, then call them overrated because they lost to an equal-record team.

Looks like it, yeah. I didn't even know he was out.
    i'm not trying to have it both ways. im pointing out that the SEC isn't as strong as it's hyped to be by the likes of SEC fanboys and ESPN. Two teams. equal records. one is ranked, one is not. but the one who was unranked won the game. clearly the SEC isn't as strong as people say it is. after all, a team with an equal record from the much maligned big 10 beat it. again. i'd love to see these SEC teams play on New Years Day in the cold blustery midwest winds.

BOOMER SOONER
    OK here is your Boomer Sooner. I don't root for Oklahoma, but I am very impressed with their performance tonight, and think they deserve a HUGE ... BOOMER SOONER

i'm not trying to have it both ways. im pointing out that the SEC isn't as strong as it's hyped to be by the likes of SEC fanboys and ESPN.
    This is my take. The SEC IS the strongest conference in the country. But except for the game against Rice, the games were close and not blow outs.

The SEC bias is somewhat deserved due to its performance in the past. However, the SEC has definitely NOT lived up to its hype, at least so far this bowl season. Part of this is due to major amounts of injuries (Georgia for one, and I think that Florida also had a large number of injuries as well resulting in them not even being in a bowl game.). But part of it is that the rest of the country is catching up with the SEC.

The ESPN contract with the SEC will be a source of contention for a lot of people for a long time. Well until other conferences get similar deals with other networks. The long term effect for ESPN is that ESPN will change from being National in nature to being local to the South East as the other regions just won't trust its coverage. And the rest of the country WILL react to the ESPN/SEC alliance, because they basically have to. This alliance changes the whole map. Adapt or die.

The over the top support that ESPN has given the SEC is causing as much or more backlash AGAINST the SEC as it is support FOR it. However, the steady cash flow that the SEC will get pretty much overshadows all other considerations. Because running competitive football programs costs a LOT of money. So the SEC IS the strongest conference, and will likely REMAIN the strongest conference. But nowhere near the dominance that ESPN has been broadcasting recently, and will likely continue to broadcast. The whole SEC will, in the long run, pay a large price for ESPN's arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    I'm from Iowa. I'm an Iowa fan. LSU was down Mettenberger and had a QB with his first ever start. Their run game had a field day with us. It would've been a slaughter if he was in, given how absolutely shitty Rudock looked.

Georgia losing to Nebraska, who mind you, Iowa beat 38-17, was an absolute embarrassment though.

And Nebraska lost Martinez. Your point? Both teams were without starting QBs

I'm so happy Oklahoma beat Alabama. Hopefully FSU beats Auburn, and ESPN will jump off the SEC dick for a few years.

i'd love to see an SEC team play a bowl game in the cold blustery winds and potential snow fall of an outdoor up north field on new years day.
    will never happen. same reason they dont have super bowls in Green Bay

Also I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I want Clemson to lose but then that means I'm cheering for Ohio State. I despise Ohio State and I want them to lose but then that means I'm cheering for Clemson. What the hell do I do? Its like having to pick between Al Qaeda and North Korea if they were playing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    will never happen. same reason they dont have super bowls in Green Bay

Also I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I want Clemson to lose but then that means I'm cheering for Ohio State. I despise Ohio State and I want them to lose but then that means I'm cheering for Clemson. What the hell do I do? Its like having to pick between Al Qaeda and North Korea if they were playing.
    oh i know it will never happen, but i would still love to see it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    And Nebraska lost Martinez. Your point? Both teams were without starting QBs
    Nebraska was running with Tommy Armstrong all year. There's a distinct difference to losing your starting QB at the end of the year and having a new QB learn it compared with a QB that has had months to adapt to your system.

Thinking T-Mart is anywhere near the caliber of Murray regardless is pretty laughable. Dual-threat has potential but he had some real problems with making boneheaded throws.

I'm not sure why you were hopping on those games when a perfectly valid SEC loss happened in the Sugar Bowl. There's a reason the SEC has a winning % against every single conference but the Big l(East) and it's not just E!SPN hype that engineers that train. With the way the recruiting looked this year, it's not gonna stop.
    Last edited by Kaneiac; 2014-01-03 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Hopefully FSU beats Auburn, and ESPN will jump off the SEC dick for a few years.
    everyone has FSU as the favorite so they are supposed to win. Its not like if Auburn was a 14 point favorite and ends up losing to FSU. Also its going to take the ACC winning 6 or 7 national championships in a 10 year window to dethrone the SEC
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2014-01-03 at 07:18 PM.