Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

help! my computer is too fast

Ok so i've recently installed skyrim,
    went to the nvidia control panel and disabled vsync for skyrim.

since then my computer has been going WAY to fast. Now most of you would think that this is a good thing, but it isn't. It doesn't do its calculations faster.
    it just looks like my computer is using speedhack.

windows progress bars are moving insanely fast, the windows loading cursor circle is moving at least 10 times faster. All the load times are the same but every animation in my entire computer just got faster.

i deleted and reinstalled nvidia drivers to no avail. When i play games, every animation goes 10 times faster, torches in skyrim burn like extremely fast, it could be compared with a speedhack of some sorts. My framerate stays the same as it was before though.

My mouse is also much faster? too precise? seems like something messed up the mouse acceleration aswell.

any sugestions? did my framerate/time sync mess up or something? i'm clueless!

Deleted
    re-enable vsync to check if that was it?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawwad View Post
    re-enable vsync to check if that was it?
    Already did that obviously,
    i had changed it in the nvidia control panel since the ipresentinterval=0 in the skyrim cfg didn't change anything, well my framerate wasn't capped at 60 anymore but my whole pc now just looks like it's on speedhack and everything is unplayable.
    I changed every setting in nvidia control panel back to default, reinstalled the drivers, but none of that did help.

Deleted
    I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I find the metaphor of your PC 'using a speedhack' fucking hilarious.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    I know this isn't terribly helpful, but I find the metaphor of your PC 'using a speedhack' fucking hilarious.
    Well it is one of the more funnier issues i have ever run in too when i walk in a game it goes as fast as it looks like my character is sprinting, very weird.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by volar View Post
    Well it is one of the more funnier issues i have ever run in too when i walk in a game it goes as fast as it looks like my character is sprinting, very weird.
    Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I burst into laughter while reading the OP :P Sorry to laugh at your misfortune :P

OT: All I could really suggest would be to reinstall video drivers, but seeing as you've done that, I don't really know. >.< Sorry.

reinstall skyrim?
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Tell the PC to slow down :P

OT: try putting graphic settings to MAX and maybe that will slow everything down.

Does this only happen in Skyrim? You could try verifying the files through steam (I think its a steamworks game?), if that still doesnt work you might have to just uninstall and redownload it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamez View Post
    Tell the PC to slow down :P

OT: try putting graphic settings to MAX and maybe that will slow everything down.
    I like the way you think! But seriously, try reinstalling Skyrim.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    reinstalling skyrim didn't help, as i mentioned before, my entire system, including Windows, is sped up like crazy (well the animations are, but the actual loading times remain the same)

Tried doing a system restore?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, nothing changed at all, could this be a hardware related issue? O_O

Deleted
    How many cores do you have? I know I had this problem on my old computer with dual core while playing certain games. All I had to do was limit the amount of cores the program was running on; so instead of running with both the cores I limited it to one and it was fine. Don't know if this is the problem, just saying. I had the exact same "speedhack" as you mentioned at least.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skyclops View Post
    already tried this too, can't change those settings since it's greyed out, because having nvidia drivers disables being able to adjust those settings.
    Removed nvidia drivers, changed those settings, no difference at all.

Re-installed nvidia drivers, turned off vsync globally, no difference either.

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 03:04 PM ----------

Going to reinstall Windows, at least that will narrow it down to a Hardware or Software issue

---------- Post added 2011-11-19 at 07:22 PM ----------

reinstalled Windows, still the same issue. Seems to be hardware related, somehow, any suggestions?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you playing Skyrim in windowed mode/alt tabbing out of fullscreen mode?

Some games (including things like guild wars 2) have issues rendering some graphics/games, and end up not processing the infrastructure of the software if you alt tab. (apparently the CPU/OS will set the prio to a far lower queue than the rest of system operations, and when you tab back in you'll see 'rubberbanding' and 'speedhack-like' behavior) I do not know of a fix, other than only a few people have issues like this.

Is your system overclocked at all? What hardware are you using?

Deleted
    Give some more details about the system you are running. When you reinstalled windows did it show the same behaviour when it first booted into windows without proper drivers installed?

Deleted
    I'd say it 'd be useful if it sped up loading times at least...

But seriously, thats a problem i've never heard of...
    I read the link posted by Skyclops, and I'd say you should mail either ASUS or ATI about it, if you have the same-ish setup too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    a friend has a similar issue with SC2, makes the game crash
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.