Deleted

SW:TOR - System Requirements.

I know it's unlikely that we have a full set of actual system requirements from Bioware at this point, but can someone in beta just sum up to me how system dependant SW:TOR is in relation to some games out there at the moment? Is it more like WoW, BF3, Skyrim, Portal2, FableIII or anything else?

I realise this is a rather odd question, but it's one I'd kind of like an answer to if it's at all possible >.<

Here's my experience with 2 different rigs.

Computer 1: Runs it on low to medium settings and still gets FPS drops as low as 10-15 in big building areas with lots of things going on.

Q6600 2.40ghz C2Q quadcore
    GTX 280 1GB
    4GB RAM DDR2 800mhz
    10k RPM HDD
    @ 1920x1080p

Computer 2 - (My room-mates computer) Runs it's all on max settings without any issues.

i52500k @ stock clock
    GTX570 x 2 (SLi)
    8GB RAM DDR3 1600mhz
    7.2k RPM HDD
    @1920x1080p

This is why I say the recommended specs being thrown around is bs The game does require a high-end rig if you actually want to enjoy it. The game is not enjoyable for me on computer 1. If I do end up buying the game, it will only be once I build a new rig.

It was probably able to stay at an average of 50 or so fps on my 5850/i7920/6gbram, but dipped to 30's (no aa in swtor beta{hope they use fxaa and msaa})

So I guess, sorta like BF3 on med-highish. Or sorta like WoW ultra with 4xaa+, type performance, but slightly worse since there's way higher polycounts and shader/tech going on... hard to compare really, wow doesn't really perform as well as I'd expect it to with how it looks...

I don't know of the performance on the low end.

And to Mr. Troll McGee, nice resolution, 800x480(wide, lol) and 130p at the same time and the wildly advanced P4/256mb ram compared to a requirement of pre windows computer era hdd(hell, floppy disc)/graphics.
    Last edited by Lumicide; 2011-11-19 at 01:50 PM.

I played last weekend with very little problems. Although the most people I played with was for the first flashpoint, at minimum settings I surprisingly ran ~50 FPS. So the game is very forgiving I found with low quality and even laptop configurations.

CPU: Intel Core2Duo T6400+ 2.0 GHZ
    RAM: 4 GB
    GPU: 9600 GT Mobile

Anyone know if I could run this at medium with a:

Core2Duo T7250 2.0GHz
    2GB 667MHz RAM
    GeForce 8600M GT at 1024x1280?

I keep my comp in good shape and I use SpeedBoost with a USB key. Maybe this could give an idea to the original poster too.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I played the game on two separate computers also.

PC 1 - Asus M51A Laptop
    CPU - Intel Core2Duo T5750 2.0Ghz
    RAM - 4GB DDR2 667
    GPU - nVidia Geforce 9500M
    HDD - Hitach 7200RPM 250GB

Game ran smoothly on low settings with shadows off, AA off, and AF off. I'd have to dig up a screenshot but on average I ran around 40FPS.

PC 2 - Desktop @ Home
    CPU - Intel i3 550 4.2Ghz (1Ghz OC)
    RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333
    Game HDD - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    GPU - 2X Radeon HD5770 (Stock clock)

Game ran exceptionally well on high settings. During my beta period AA / AF were not available so they were off. However my FPS never dipped below 60 the whole weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow....the low-end computers people are STILL running today scares me >.> I live on minimum wage, and I manage to upgrade my computer at least once every 2-3 years.

I haven't been able to play the beta yet, it'll be interesting to see how my comp can handle it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Wow....the low-end computers people are STILL running today scares me >.> I live on minimum wage, and I manage to upgrade my computer at least once every 2-3 years.

I haven't been able to play the beta yet, it'll be interesting to see how my comp can handle it.
    Most people can't justify upgrading a PC for a single game. The average consumer will own a PC 4 to 6 years prior to upgrading or purchasing a new PC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvenArcher View Post
    Anyone know if I could run this at medium with a:

Core2Duo T7250 2.0GHz
    2GB 667MHz RAM
    GeForce 8600M GT at 1024x1280?

I keep my comp in good shape and I use SpeedBoost with a USB key. Maybe this could give an idea to the original poster too.
    Time to upgrade if you want to run it higher then lowest settings and then you will still get a slap in the face in crowded area's.

Like most MMO's, SWTOR is very CPU bound. A Sandy Bridge CPU is really the best thing you can do for it. The 2500k is the way to go for gaming, the 2600k shows no appreciable increases in game performance. You'll also be able to clock it to 4.5ghz or beyond with little effort. Most people can even reach 4.0-4.2ghz without even touching the voltage. 2500k + 8GB + GTX 560ti is the type of build that'll give you best bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by bendak View Post
    Like most MMO's, SWTOR is very CPU bound. A Sandy Bridge CPU is really the best thing you can do for it. The 2500k is the way to go for gaming, the 2600k shows no appreciable increases in game performance ... 2500k + 8GB + GTX 560ti is the type of build that'll give you best bang for your buck.
    This is almost exactly what I would have written. Expect more like WoW less like BF3 as far as computer specs that perform well. That being said, I was running a much lower graphics card (5770) and getting 40 fps or so consistently (albeit without antialiasing enabled as it wasn't available)

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I played beta weekend, averaged 45-50 fps on what was maximum, using i52500k, GTX460 and 4GB DDR3 RAM.

That's average, it went below and higher depending on location and population! no complaints from me though.

Does anyone have any experience running the game through a windows emulator on a Macbook Pro?

(Before someone tells me to buy a new computer, I'm a student, it's what my university recommended, and WoW was already mac compatible when I bought it. I'm in no position to upgrade)

PU - Intel Core2Duo 2.2Ghz
    RAM - 2GB DDR2 667
    GPU - nVidia Geforce 8600M GT

From what I've read, this would be fine to play the game on a Windows Laptop on even medium settings.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience emulating top end games on macbooks that are a few years old.

I used Crossover games to run RIFT, and it actually worked very well. However, I'm dubious that they will have a high quality program until a bit after release, so I'm looking into just loading up a copy of Windows 7 onto my laptop and giving ToR a run. Just curious if anyone else had any experience.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort459 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience running the game through a windows emulator on a Macbook Pro?

(Before someone tells me to buy a new computer, I'm a student, it's what my university recommended, and WoW was already mac compatible when I bought it. I'm in no position to upgrade)

PU - Intel Core2Duo 2.2Ghz
    RAM - 2GB DDR2 667
    GPU - nVidia Geforce 8600M GT

From what I've read, this would be fine to play the game on a Windows Laptop on even medium settings.

I'm just curious if anyone has any experience emulating top end games on macbooks that are a few years old.

I used Crossover games to run RIFT, and it actually worked very well. However, I'm dubious that they will have a high quality program until a bit after release, so I'm looking into just loading up a copy of Windows 7 onto my laptop and giving ToR a run. Just curious if anyone else had any experience.
    Your question is a cross blend for SW:TOR and the computer forum here. I'll try to answer it though to the best of my abilities.

Short answer: Yes you can run ToR within a virtual machine but it won't run amazingly.

Long answer: Yes you can run any video game within a virtual version of Windows 7, however the performance will always be less than that of a Windows 7 based equivalent laptop. The reasoning is due to running the virtual machine which will use up system resources then running a program within the virtual machine. I would imagine you could play this game although you will be running it at its minimum settings and even then I would expect some performance hits here and there.

Straight from the SW:TOR FAQ page: http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#171060

What are the system requirements for the game?

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better
    Operating System:
    Windows XP or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
    Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better
    nVidia 7800 or better
    Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

From my experience on the last beta weekend...

AMD Phenom II X6 2.80Ghz
    Radeon HD 6670
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

I was running the highest graphics settings I could, 1600x900 display, at least a solid 30 FPS constant, 60-90ms the whole weekend (and I only slept for about 6hrs during the whole weekend testing phase).
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2011-11-20 at 12:15 AM.

Honestly don't use the system requirements listed and base your decision on that. When there are "recommended" PC specs they go as low as they possibly can, which basically means you're playing on like 800x600 on all low.

Good example....BF3 has much higher recommended specs than SKYRIM...yet BF3 runs much better compared to SKYRIM for most people? Makes a lot of sense huh? Oh wait..no...it makes no sense.

Go by my original post in the thread. As I said...if you want to play SWTOR on max/ultra settings @ 1080p resolution...you NEED a 2500k+500 series GPU (or ati equiv)

Most ppl dont need to play at max/ultra settings, well I dont.

Just enough to play at 1080p with max texture, decent draw distance and shadowson low(big FPS hog), and thats what they want to know.

My opnion is that a decent enough Quad core CPU with 4Gb ram and a amd 4850 / nvidia 460 or better should be enough for Swtor at a decent image quality without being to fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

I had a catastrophic failure with my desktop that required building a brand new one case and all, so this is what I'm stuck with for another week. However my new rig will be much better off. I have no doubts at all that I'll be able to run at maximum graphics with no issues.
    Case: NZXT Phantom White
    PSU: Corsair TX850w V2
    CPU: I5 2500k w/ Corsair H100
    Ram: 8gb Corsair Veng
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX570 Super Overclock

I have no doubts that I'll be able to use this computer for many years to come. However, I also work on minimum wage and saving up enough to get a good build going is essential. Putting a few hundred in every few years is definitely more cost effective than overhauls.

AMD 5600+
    Nvidia GTX 9800
    8 gig ram
    7200 rpm HD SATA

I was getting 15-30 fps, which is playable but low end. I'm not sure what the graphics settings were on. I am going to upgrade the video card and see if that helps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ive seen a few posters that think they will run the game on medium with the minimum requirement, im gonna say it once: Forget it!
    With the minimum requirement you should only be able to play on low.