A new warning for Skyrim purchasers living in Japan!

Some may or may not know already that -only- those living in Japan have had their IP's blocked from playing the game even if they bought a retail copy from overseas until the 4 week delay date of Dec 8th comes around.

However, recently this was posted on the Steam forums about another issue that is just as dirty that can potentially affect those who expect to play their retail copy bought IN Japan OR bought on their Steam account acknowledging them as being in Japan:

-----------------------------------------------

This information might be a bit too late to come out for some people out there,but here goes anyway;

Accouding to Zenimax Asia General Managertwitter(http://twitter.com/#!/Tetsu_BethJPN),
    Skyrim purchased from within Japan (IP-address wise) will be restricted to Japanese language
    only, and does NOT include other languages;If you wish to play in English orany other languages, you have to import a retail copy from your desired region.

You can check which version you have by clicking"<insert your name>'s account" located on top right of Steam
    client.

If it says Skyrim(JP), then you have Japanese version and I guess itwill update itself to Japanese version once the game officially goes out at Dec 8.

As long as you can understand Japanese, this won't affect you... well,
    aside from possible delay of release in patch and DLCs.However, if you can't understand Japanese, this'll gonna bite you badly.

It's quite maddeningto add that this announcement was twittered days after 11.11.11, by that
    time many people, including me, already pre-purchased the game and madeirreversible mistake...
    I do hope they'll reconsider what they're up to, because it's plain clear that this is one hell of bad marketing policy.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I luckily got my physical copy from Amazon US and according to my Steam account its an NA version so Im ok on this point but that's just dirty to the Steam orders from people living in Japan being given -no- choice on the matter.
    Last edited by Sanguinesun; 2011-11-19 at 09:57 PM.

You should post this in the skyrim thread as it will be locked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    More like moved?

The only concern with that is that its such a long thread that the warning can quickly get lost and thus the intent to actually warn/help people be missed otherwise? If they deign to lock or move it then I understand but it would be a shame that some missed it because that thread is just a catchall for everything.

Lol, people will just pirate it now for the english version I'm sure.. isn't it more illegal to actually import order stuff from overseas? I know my friend living in japan right now won't order anything from the US because he says it's illegal. Last I heard anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Bartuc the Bloody View Post
    Lol, people will just pirate it now for the english version I'm sure.. isn't it more illegal to actually import order stuff from overseas? I know my friend living in japan right now won't order anything from the US because he says it's illegal. Last I heard anyway..
    No no not at all. People import all the time, lol. Been here a decently long time. There are of course some things that are restricted to import out of health concerns (like certain foods or medicines) but music games etc are imported all the time. Your "friend" is misinformed.

Besides, why would the general manager of the Japan branch of Bethesda tell shoppers to import an English copy if it was illegal to do so? :P
    Last edited by Sanguinesun; 2011-11-19 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the console version region locked?

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Is the console version region locked?
    I dont know anything on how the console version is done however if you are required to register it through Steam, then yes. Given how this whole situation with the 4 weeks and now this language restriction too, Im pretty sure the console versions have the same issues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    This is cool, but if you think that it should be locked then report it and leave the decision making up to us.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    *snip*

Don't promote piracy or provide information about where to pirate games. - Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2011-11-20 at 01:25 AM.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

An update to the English Language version issue: The JP Rep twittered after some people complained on twitter of this issue a response that they are "looking into" what can be done. Whether that will translate to a solution or not remains to be seen but it is hopeful for those that already purchased(or were considering to) the game. I'll try to update info on it if I catch it. Still though, the issue of the 4 weeks wait for JP only folks was not responded to unfortunately.