10+ Year Old Account

Intel i5 2500k - Stock heatsink and temperatures.

Hi,

I've recently completed my first computer build, with and Intel i5 2500k on a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 motherboard, using the stock heatsink that came with the CPU. I've run a few tests on the CPU with OCCT, and as I write this the CPU is idling at around 40 degrees celcius. Is this ok? I knew stock heatsinks wern't the best, but I was exepecting it too be a little cooler than what it is being. The case I have (Zalman z9 plus) has fine cooling, and the room I'm in isn't very warm. I put it under a quick load test in OCCT with a small data set and it had to stop it self due to one of the cores hitting 85 degrees, which seems way to warm and has worried me slightly. Is this what all stock heatsink's are like? I had a small incident when putting the motherboard into the case, with one of the pins on the heatsink coming undone. I got it back out and re attached it, but I guess that would have messed up the thermal paste inside? Is that my issue?

I am also looking into buying a new heatsink because of these temperatures. I've heard the coolermaster hyper 212 plus is very good for the price you pay. Would this work with my motherboard and cpu and that?

Thanks for any help you can give me, and I can give you anymore details of the build if you need them.

EDIT- Occt is also showing the cpu as having a -50% Overclock, taking it down to 1.5ghz, but sometimes it goes up t the 3.3 it should be (Like when I am in wow). Is this normal? It's set to 3.3 in the Bios, just seems odd.
    Last edited by Jimmybob117; 2011-12-31 at 11:15 AM.

I've installed a cooler master hyper 212 plus 2 days ago, it doesnt sound much at all and cools quite well. On my amd phenom x4 965 it's idling around 25-35 degrees and the maximum temparature I've seen when playing bf3 was 55. When playing wow it goes from 40-50 degrees. I'd recommend that cooler.

If you plan on doing any sort of overclocking, you'll definitely want to invest in an after-market cooling system. You can get excellent air coolers in the 30-60 dollar price range; just make sure they will fit!

The i5 2500k will drop to 1.6 GHz when under low/no CPU load. As soon as something is demanded of it, it will jump up to whatever clock speed you've set (33 in your case, for 3.3 GHz). This is absolutely normal and is just a way to preserve power/lengthen component life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by heenksa33 View Post
    I've installed a cooler master hyper 212 plus 2 days ago, it doesnt sound much at all and cools quite well. On my amd phenom x4 965 it's idling around 25-35 degrees and the maximum temparature I've seen when playing bf3 was 55. When playing wow it goes from 40-50 degrees. I'd recommend that cooler.
    Yeah, I've heard lots of good things about it. I'm hitting about 60 in Wow, and I'd love for it to be cooler, just for that peace of mind that I'm not gunna fry my CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    If you plan on doing any sort of overclocking, you'll definitely want to invest in an after-market cooling system. You can get excellent air coolers in the 30-60 dollar price range; just make sure they will fit!

The i5 2500k will drop to 1.6 GHz when under low/no CPU load. As soon as something is demanded of it, it will jump up to whatever clock speed you've set (33 in your case, for 3.3 GHz). This is absolutely normal and is just a way to preserve power/lengthen component life.
    Yeah, I was planning some OC down the line. I knew I would never be able to do it on stock, but it should be fine for the moment. Also thanks for telling me about it droping, was'nt certain if my i5 was working properly!
    Last edited by Jimmybob117; 2011-12-31 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...
    Check me out on youtube! Playthroughs of Diablo 3, Minecraft and many other games with daily content!

This is good information, as I am going to be building a computer with this tax check, and the i5 2500k is exactly what I was going to use. DANKE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is my CPU running to hot though at the moment? I know personaly I would like it too be a little cooler, but is it ok how it is?
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...
    Check me out on youtube! Playthroughs of Diablo 3, Minecraft and many other games with daily content!

60°C is a healthy temperature. You have nothing at all to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    60°C is a healthy temperature. You have nothing at all to worry about.
    Heh thanks for the advice Can game happy now knowing it's not going to die on me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    The maximum temperature of the 2500K and 2600K is 98°C. Throttling begins at about 80°C. Honestly, you'd be hard pushed to kill a 2500K with temperatures alone, at least as long as you're not putting it in an oven or such. They're more tempremental about voltages than anything.
    Oh that's good to know. I hit 85 degrees in a stress test in OCCT, but I geuss that's designed to take the proccessor to the absolute max it can

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    40 Celsius idle for a stock heatsink is just fine, aftermarket coolers will take it down even further, if you want cooler temps then you'll have to invest in an aftermarket cooler, at least $25-30 USD. Not sure the exchange rate, Synthaxx could provide you with the average, but a Corsair A70 or Cooler Master Hyper 212+ will do you well, and if you ever want to OC, you'll definitely want an aftermarket cooler.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

with a coolermaster hyper 212+ my 2500k sits idle at 27c before overclock
    Last edited by skatblast; 2011-12-31 at 08:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    hehe stock sucks. i remember my old PC the internal temps idled at 28C CPU was a lot lower.

Speaking of temperatures, while I haven't run stock myself.. Since my old AMD Athlon XP 1500+.
    But with overclocks, I run 39-45°C and 56-64°C in Wow, depending on whether I run 4.0 or 4.2 GHz (I shift. For fun, but mostly 4.0 GHz. I like to be one multi lower than the max I've found stable, and 17x267 wasn't 24/7 stable. )
    So 60°C in wow with stock cooler ain't too far off, eh?