Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

7/8 DS Encounters favor Affliction

Hey!

I wonder about the boss mechanics in Dragonsoul heroic. The only Encounter without any benefit for Affliction is Ultraxion. Every other Encounter is Multi Dot Dps Boss. Even if Affliction seems to be the weakest when you look at ej and simcraft, it will go through the roof. I play demo in our 10 man raid because we got no elemental shaman at the moment and 4% more spellpower for 3-4 dps and 2-3 Healers is to much to play affliction just for own favor. But if you have the choice I would advise to go affliction for all encounters except Ultraxion n/hc and Morchok n.

Deleted
    Having to multidot doesn't automatically make Affliction the best spec

Deleted
    If the fix to destruction is good then BoH on the one of the few adds most encounters have would be good as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyxxi View Post
    If the fix to destruction is good then BoH on the one of the few adds most encounters have would be good as well.
    I agree, the one with the boss and the colour swapping adds you have to kill? BoH on boss and *pew pew pew* I doubt Affli will have anything on Destro that fight. Adds are to fast and too short lived for affli to be effective.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    When you have to dps 2-5 targets afaik Affliction is THE best specc. If there are two encounters Destruction is equal, if you have one encounter, Demonology is best. But for sure we will see after a couple of weeks.

My thoughts regarding balance on fights:
    Morchok: 2 Adds tanked close together (I assume) = Affliction
    Warlord Zon'ozz: Depends on enrage timer. If boss dps is needed, Destruction + BoH on add for extra dmg, if add dmg prioritized = Affliction
    Yor'Sahj: I believe Demonology will be the best for this fight due to a heavy amount of AoE
    Hagara: I am tempted to say that affliction and destruction will be very close here.
    Ultraxion: Demonology no doubt
    Gunship: Affliction can multi dot. Destro can do a bad multidot + BoH the boss at the start
    Spine: Lots of AoE, no movement, I would say demo is the best
    Deathwing: Clearly affliction

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    I agree, and another thing that people should not forget, is that making top dps isn't always the "best" choice, if we're looking from the point of view of killing the boss (and not dps rankings). For some encounters it's more crucial to have good burst dps at certain points, handling adds, survivability, dispels etc. Also the possibility to multidot, doesn't mean that you always should do it just to maximize dps, because some targets are more important than others. Shannox HC is a good example, to get a top dps ranking there you Have to play it "wrong" and waste lot of dps on targets that don't need to be damaged at all.

I love playing demo but i fear i will be going affliction/destro for 4.3

Deleted
    I can not see affliction being that good in Dragon soul. On fights like for example Heroic Morchok the boss is split and his stomp gives a debuff which is the reason they need to be so far apart from each other. So if you are affliction yes you will have Soul swap to put the first dots on the second add but you will need to run to them again after like 20 - 30 seconds which will decrease you over all dps and damage because your moving. On the other hand Destruction only needs to apply BoH once and can stay still on there own add therefore dps would be higher.

If you are a in a team for Dragon Soul I think personally Destruction and Demo is what you should be considering. I think blizzard know that affliction has had its imbaness throughout this expansion, and Its time for it to stand down so Demo and Destruction can feel there use.

---------- Post added 2011-11-25 at 04:18 PM ----------

Morchok: Demo/Destruction/Affliction
    Warlord Zon'ozz: Demo/Destruction
    Yor'Sahj: Destruction/Demo
    Hagara: Affliction/Destruction
    Ultraxion: Destruction/Demo
    Gunship: Demo/Destruction/Affliction
    Spine: Destruction - The whole point on this is not to aoe down the adds fast as they can explode and wipe the raid!
    Deathwing: Destruction/Demo/Affliction

Those who say demo on Spine because of the aoe please read how the fight works. If you are demo and AoE the Blood slimes down at the same time you will wipe the raid from them exploding. So its all about single target the adds down depending on the Big adds stacks, Once 9 its all about burst damage to get the armor plate off his back.

Quote Originally Posted by Taznoch View Post
    Those who say demo on Spine because of the aoe please read how the fight works. If you are demo and AoE the Blood slimes down at the same time you will wipe the raid from them exploding. So its all about single target the adds down depending on the Big adds stacks, Once 9 its all about burst damage to get the armor plate off his back.
    If it's all about burst damage to get the plate off of his back, then demo would be the best for that.

Deleted
    How are the fights in DS when it comes to Demo's need to stand in melee range? Can a warlock just be a melee DPS there (or at least hit adds while still shadowflaming/conf aura-ing the boss? Or is there more need for ranged?

I think it's a strong testament to the state of the Warlock class that we can even have this discussion.

Can you imagine mages talking about Frost being viable on certain fights within Dragon Soul?

Deleted
    Can you imagine mages talking about Frost being viable on certain fights within Dragon Soul?
    Why couldn't we ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taznoch View Post
    I can not see affliction being that good in Dragon soul. On fights like for example Heroic Morchok the boss is split and his stomp gives a debuff which is the reason they need to be so far apart from each other. So if you are affliction yes you will have Soul swap to put the first dots on the second add but you will need to run to them again after like 20 - 30 seconds which will decrease you over all dps and damage because your moving. On the other hand Destruction only needs to apply BoH once and can stay still on there own add therefore dps would be higher.

If you are a in a team for Dragon Soul I think personally Destruction and Demo is what you should be considering. I think blizzard know that affliction has had its imbaness throughout this expansion, and Its time for it to stand down so Demo and Destruction can feel there use.

---------- Post added 2011-11-25 at 04:18 PM ----------

Morchok: Demo/Destruction/Affliction
    Warlord Zon'ozz: Demo/Destruction
    Yor'Sahj: Destruction/Demo
    Hagara: Affliction/Destruction
    Ultraxion: Destruction/Demo
    Gunship: Demo/Destruction/Affliction
    Spine: Destruction - The whole point on this is not to aoe down the adds fast as they can explode and wipe the raid!
    Deathwing: Destruction/Demo/Affliction

If you take a look at heroic, Zon'ozz fight is huge multidot boss. When it comes to Morchok heroic in my opinion range is not a question. 25 yards stomp range vs 40 yards spellcast range!

Morchok: Demo for nHC and maybe Destruction for HC. In HC you have 2 bosses but afaik you tank them far away from each other so no multidotting but BoH could work.
    Warlord Zon'ozz: Demo for nHC because you want high Singletarget-DPS, Doomguard when boss has lots of stacks will push DPS by a lot. HC you can basically multidot the tentacles, so Aflli should do ok too. Destuction could be good too with BoH on Boss while nuking tentacles. But still i think Demo will make it just because of the high burst-DPS when boss has much stacks.
    Yor'Sahj: All 3 Specs should be fine for nHC and HC. Demo has nice AoE for Faceless-Adds and best singletarget DPS on boss, Destruction has nice burst on blobs and affliction can do well too.. with soul swap you should be able to do good dmg on blobs even when they dont live very long.
    Hagara: Spec doesn't matter imo, maybe Demo because the faster the boss dies the better.
    Ultraxion: Demo because you want maximum singletarget DPS.
    Gunship: Affliction. You should be able to do a lot of Multidotting both on nHC and HC.
    Spine: Destruction should be best here DoTs are mostly contraproductive and the tendrils are targetable for only a short time.
    Deathwing: Dunno, from what i've seen all three specs should do well.

In the end it's also a question of support especially for 10mans. If you don't have 10% Spellpower you will want you Warlock to play Demo on basically all fights, if you don't have replenishment you will want him to play Destruction. If you have both you can choose simply what fits the fight best.

Deleted
    Or what he plays best ;p

Will definitely be Affliction/Destruction, mostly since they use same gear/reforge.
    Realistically i would only use Demo on fights when aoe burst is needed or I have high uptime on bosses melee range.
    Right now it looks like Ultraxion and possibly Spine, not enough for me to go back in forth between reforge sets.

Also from my experience permanent Multi-dot situations have always made Affliction king.
    Last edited by Napoles; 2011-11-28 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoles View Post
    Will definitely be Affliction/Destruction, mostly since they use same gear/reforge.
    Realistically i would only use Demo on fights when aoe burst is needed or I have high uptime on bosses melee range.
    Right now it looks like Ultraxion and possibly Spine, not enough for me to go back in forth between reforge sets.

Also from my experience permanent Multi-dot situations have always made Affliction king.
    In t13 BiS, Demo and Destro both favor mastery.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by robster1225 View Post
    I think it's a strong testament to the state of the Warlock class that we can even have this discussion.

OMG, QFT!

According to my math, warlocks become the most viable PvE DPS class in the game come next patch. At least 2 fully viable PvE specs, and quite possibly a 3rd.

DPS differences small enough may as well not be counted, as lag/rng/what have you will always skew results, but by my math, there isn't another class that can claim as much parity between the specs as locks will be able to claim come 4.3

It makes me sad, really. We finally reach parity between our specs in 4.3, and MoP will come and change all the rules. Oh well. At least the MoP changes seems interesting. I can only hope they manage to keep the numbers as close as we have managed in Cata.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    In t13 BiS, Demo and Destro both favor mastery.
    Does that mean I can make my offspec destro, keep my mastery gear on and not gimp myself?

Having everything mastery makes having an afflic OS useless =/
    Unf - Night Watch - Pagle

Consider the ocean waves, and how the moon's force guides them this way and that across the earth's surface. Human life is an insane coincidence. We are an instance of the universe becoming conscious of itself, yes, old news but always worth review.