Poll: What is your average number of hours spent in-game on any MMORPG per week?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Average Number of Hours Played on WoW / Any Other MMORPG Per Week

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in my 3rd year at Teesside University studying for a degree in Psychology - I'm currently writing my dissertation and it's looking at various behaviours that have been observed in MMORPGs.

I need to develop a scale to determine if any participants for my study I recruit are suitable as MMORPG players and so, I need to determine what the average number of hours MMORPG players spend in game each week.

So if you guys could just vote in the poll that'd be great - and please, if you don't actively play an MMORPG at this point in time don't answer the poll.

Also, if you select the "More" category, can you please write a comment stating roughly how many hours.

Many thanks, Fatal.

---------- Post added 2011-11-25 at 03:27 PM ----------

Just to clarify - I made a mistake and did not enter a "More" option, so if this option would of applied to you please just write in a post the number of hours.
    : )

6-10 but hoping for a few extra hours this week. Good luck with your project.

You are missing 40+ hours / week (for a really good MMORPG)

10+ Year Old Account
    aye, I had considered putting more options in but lots of options can lead to people getting bored of reading through the options and just making them put their data at a random point which would skew the information unfortunately. : P

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    It used to be over 40 hours without a doubt, but lately I've found myself playing other games more often, writing, doing art, etc. I've dropped down to the 2nd highest bracket now. I still spend quite a bit of time in WoW (albeit tabbed out with only my chat box visible so that I can chat with guildies).

11-15, down to 7-8 because of skyrim for the moment. (Playing that damn game in every second of my free time...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Gotta get the 60+ hours a week option... even without playing for the past year I still think my average is above 60 hours a week haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    very interesting results, normal looking curve...
    suddenly, hardcores!

I stuck 30 hours down here though, i probably get about 6/day here (student life ftw!) while being completely inactive at weekends.
    Kaga, raid leader of Shafted, Ragnaros-EU.

I think I'm around the 30hr/week mark. But back in the WOTLK days I was probably playing +40.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bad person. I spend more time on here than I do WoW.

I guess I'm just bored with Molten Front and the 4.0 heroics. Maybe that'll change Tuesday.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the support and replies so far guys,
    interesting to see the results so far - hope we can get some more data still ^.^

I go out and do stuff an average of one day a week and watch football on Sundays other than sc2 the rest of my time is wow. Realistically during most of wrath I played around 90 hrs a week. I'm probably down to 60-70. I didn't vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chudbrochil View Post
    I go out and do stuff an average of one day a week and watch football on Sundays other than sc2 the rest of my time is wow. Realistically during most of wrath I played around 90 hrs a week. I'm probably down to 60-70. I didn't vote.
    Thanks, information provided is still usefull

1-5 hours right now. I used to play a lot more, then along came Cata.....

During BC I was playing probably 2-3 hours a night, with more on weekends. Wrath was pretty much the same, if not a bit more, just because it seemed there was so much more to do. Cata came out, and my friends list shrank, my guild died, and no one wanted to pay for the vent anymore, so I didn't have much of a reason to log in anymore. Currently unsubbed from WoW, but playing LotRO, though no where near as much as when I played WoW.

Old WoW buddies from BC still get together on Google+ to BS (6-7 of us), and lately we've been talking about all getting into one or another MMOs so we can play together again, but no one is interested in WoW in it's current state.

an hour and a half a day except thursdays when i cant

Oops, I thought I read "Any other game", you said MMORPG...

Hours spent on MMOs per week would be something like 10-12 if I'm raiding, 2-3 if I'm not... On all games total though, easily over 40.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a few hours every day, and even more on weekends. In total I play waaayyy too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkchickens View Post
    I play a few hours every day, and even more on weekends. In total I play waaayyy too much.
    Aye, I think i'm the same

Woah, 30% play 40 hours a week?

Thats ALOT more then I thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, i'm rather suprised too.

But ofc we have to consider this is a forum designed only for players who play MMORPGs - so perhaps people who play them more than most come onto this sight or something, I don't believe this is a truly representative sample of everyone who plays the game - but it will be veru useful and will suffice for what i'm looking at