Alignment/Morality in SWTOR

How does this play out? I've read that there is gear based on light or dark, but at the moment, nothing for neutral. BW has said they will add later after launch apparently.

That's all I know, but what about skills? Do some skills get stronger if you chose to go either side?

Also, if you go Sith, is it possible for you to go Light side? Does that even make sense as a Sith?

Thanks!

I don't see how you can stay neutral when it comes to the choices there are only 2 options in the quest dialoge a light and a dark so its pretty impossible to stay neutral right ?

I loved this, but at times it annoyed me as I felt I was making choices that were dark (in my mind - like allowing suffering or killing fast to not waste resource) but then was told that I was wrong to do so (grey) or worse I was given Light Points. I won't give specifics but at times it was annoying seeing the light side light up on my screen ...

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    I don't see how you can stay neutral when it comes to the choices there are only 2 options in the quest dialoge a light and a dark so its pretty impossible to stay neutral right ?
    Points for one side cancel out points for the other side. If you have 2500 light side points and 250 dark side points, you are 2250 light.

---------- Post added 2011-11-26 at 03:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I loved this, but at times it annoyed me as I felt I was making choices that were dark (in my mind - like allowing suffering or killing fast to not waste resource) but then was told that I was wrong to do so (grey) or worse I was given Light Points. I won't give specifics but at times it was annoying seeing the light side light up on my screen ...
    You can mouse over the dialogue choices and you'll see if it is a light or dark side choice. You can also turn this function off, but by default it is on.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

Bioware has been very adamant about people playing their story the way they want too. Because of this I am inclined to expect the difference in gear (from Light side to Dark side) will be cosmetic only. I really don't see them putting in stated gear that demands you make calculated choice, for each conversation, through 50 levels of play, or else you end up gimped at level 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Really? I've played a bit of Lightside Sith Inquisitor and I've hated the lightside choices, as in the choices made my character disobey orders, screw over the Empire and directly help the Jedi. Fell free to message me about your findings, just try not to spoil too much, especially if its the Sith Warrior story.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    You could pick light side one time and dark side on the next quest. It can stay even.

For me I'm not ultimately evil. I do what is good for the situation but not to the extent children, slaves or whatnot get screwed over. So while I can torture someone for information that could save a lot of people (darkside? what big picture?) I won't force a doctor to abandon children to come save some soldiers. Neutrality for the gain of credits and picking what is right for the big picture is how I plan on playing.

Do these choices actually do anything other than move the little bar around? Granted my smuggler is only like 15ish but I haven't noticed what the hell these points do.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    You could pick light side one time and dark side on the next quest. It can stay even.

For me I'm not ultimately evil. I do what is good for the situation but not to the extent children, slaves or whatnot get screwed over. So while I can torture someone for information that could save a lot of people (darkside? what big picture?) I won't force a doctor to abandon children to come save some soldiers. Neutrality for the gain of credits and picking what is right for the big picture is how I plan on playing.
    How does it work if you're a Sith and you go full Light decisions? How would that work?

In junction with edge's question:
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Do these choices actually do anything other than move the little bar around? Granted my smuggler is only like 15ish but I haven't noticed what the hell these points do.
    I read that the way your armor looks will reflect on these choices (only Light level 5 can have x armor, etc). So, what if you are Sith and you do full Light choices, will you be a Sith with 'Light' armor?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are slight changes. NPCs will will allude to past choices, once you progress further you will get more options to execute your alignment. Sometimes a NPC will send you a followup of your missions.

For instance I had a mission where it could either free a bunch of droids or reprogram them. I reprogrammed them. Futher down the line a NPC later thanked me for reprogramming the droids so they could use them on the battlefield (reprogamming was the dark side choice, won't get into why).

I went all Dark with my Smuggler, and when I hit Dark 1 I couldn't use green crystals
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

10+ Year Old Account
    there are a few things that change, though all of these need a fairly large amount of points (i think the first side-"tier" is 1000 points to either side, with opposite points substracted from that).

first: your appearence changes to more sith-y with more dark side points. can be disabled in the preferences.
    second: blue, green and red lightsaber color crystals are restricted to their respective sides (although you will still be able to use pre-slotted lightsabers of any color).
    third: later on, there will be gear that's got side restriction (think in addition to "requires level 40", it also "requires light side III").

that's what i know so far, though i haven't experienced any of the changes myself yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    first: your appearence changes to more sith-y with more dark side points. can be disabled in the preferences.
    Are there any appearance changes for light side like in KOTOR? (At least I think there was in KOTOR...)

(Also, Sy, clear your PM's)