View Poll Results: Do you read the journals/books in Skyrim?

Voters
22. This poll is closed
  • Of course! I read them down to the letter. Knowledge, Knowledge and more Knowledge!

8 36.36%
  • Meh, I skim them, but i dont care much for it.

11 50.00%
  • Not interested. Wheres some more skulls to crush?

3 13.64%

Skyrim Journals - They make exploration just that bit more exciting.

So quite frankly, i love Skyrim. Its sucking up my social life, ive become a total recluse to get immersed in this game. I cancelled my WoW Sub after 30 mins of playing it, and haven't looked back. I LOVE this game. The Dark Brotherhood line was incredible. The Thieves Guild was amazing too. The Companions was pretty damn cool aswell. Heck, ive done about 4 hours of the actual storyline, and ive been playing it 40+ hours now. I keep getting distracted by awesome stuff.

But I was curious about the Journals and notes we come across in the game. The little thoughts of the nobodies. The lost explorers who died long before you arrived, revealing their last fears and hopes before being slaughtered, trapped or merely starving to death. I love reading these. I love finding that first dead body, reading the journal and finding that there was an expedition, that more went inside. I acctually look for these dead bodies just to read their last dear clutches of life. God its just so intriguing and fantastic. Zul-Nuchand had a fantastic series of Journals and thoughts of the dead expedition team.

Its these little things that make exploring just that much more exciting. While on the grand scale of things these people mean nothing, its nice to sometimes put a few seconds of focus on a fleeting life, one that usual would be passed by.

Whats your opinions on the thousands of books and journals across Skyrim? Do you read these in-depth? Perhaps you flick through before you get bored? Or do you just toss them to one side?

Morrowind >> Skyrim and i say that because Morrowind has better reading+everything else in it and i actually wanted to do stuff unlike this game

I did read them at first......until i had like.....too many! xD Nowdays i'm just opening them and looking if i will get any skill from it, then toss away/Sell

I'm hoarding all the books I can and I'm going to read them when I have the time! (Really dungeons don't clean themselves!)

However I have read books that are directly related to quests, like journals, they are amazing
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpbeat View Post
    Morrowind >> Skyrim and i say that because Morrowind has better reading+everything else in it and i actually wanted to do stuff unlike this game
    Nostalgia + Subjective arguments = Rubbish

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Only the Bandit Boss Journals where they write down the place they hide the treasure at.

Also Cicero's Journals he is too funny.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    I'm hoarding all the books I can and I'm going to read them when I have the time! (Really dungeons don't clean themselves!)

However I have read books that are directly related to quests, like journals, they are amazing
    This and I agree fully. I started reading every book I found, the first one by the torturer is a great story-related read and there's a bunch like that. It has probably been said but it adds a whole new level of lore to the game with all these books lying around. I just simply love it :P

There's even those who collected them all and put them into a Kindle format if you have one of those xD

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Nostalgia + Subjective arguments = Rubbish
    people always say this when trying to defend Skyrim it's just not so.. since im still playing Morrowind.. get over your it's ''new'' hype then we can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Borador View Post
    Only the Bandit Boss Journals where they write down the place they hide the treasure at.

Also Cicero's Journals he is too funny.
    He is pretty damn funny, completely mental, but his journals are great to read :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I hated Morrowind : /

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    people always say this when trying to defend Skyrim it's just not so.. since im still playing Morrowind.. get over your it's ''new'' hype then we can talk.
    Yawn... Morrowind had a lot of fine things, no doubt - but it also had a lot of issues. Now, did I at any point praise or defend Skyrim? No I did not. Please get over your need to act cool by hanging on to the past, just because you can... Then we can talk....

For the record, I enjoyed Oblivion more than Skyrim. The over all atmosphere, the quests, the ui, the layout etc apealed more to me in Oblivion, does that mean Skyrim is bad or overhyped and that I should continue to play Oblivion and acting like a snob? Of course not...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

subjective thoughts are subjective. so you like morrowind and don't like skyrim. good for you. don't try expressing it as if it is a fact that skyrim is worse than morrowind. because it's still just your opinion

Signature by Kenz

okay, imo what Bethesda does with writing thousands of little pieces of literature is far beyond amazing!

all the work that goes into their games (item placement, thousands of conflicting or independent story lines, the books/riddles/ poems, and many more) is almost incomprehensible! Not to mention the player can decide how they want to progress through it, making it a non-linear game to some extent.

i too love these kinds of "little things" in video games, it gives a feeling of depth and emotion.

but i have to say that i dont read every book i come across... i will however take my time to read the journals and notes that were left behind, or if a book has a title that catches my interest. Sometimes i end up picking up books to read later on, because i don't want to cut away from the situation i am in, but i end up forgetting i ever picked it up.

i <3 TES, more specifically Skyrim
    Last edited by hayharut; 2011-11-27 at 01:17 AM.
    "The instinct of self-preservation? You call it that. Yes, i will sink my teeth into life. Fuck your evolution. Let other species wait their turn. I'm not a lamb being led to the slaughter."
    ~Hunter

What is better, to be born good? or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
    ~Paarthurnax
    my attempts at being funny with skyrim

I have begun collecting all the books I've looted as well to read at a later time. They make the game experience much richer in my opinion!

First book I ever read in Skyrim happened to be the Lusty Argonian Maid or something. After that I read a few more books. Basically if it hooks me on the first page I'll read it all the way through.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Some of the books I have read so far I have seen in the previous games.
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    ^this.
    10char.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    I did read them at first......until i had like.....too many! xD Nowdays i'm just opening them and looking if i will get any skill from it, then toss away/Sell
    There's a good tip I read if you don't feel like reading books.

The books with a higher value are the books that grant skill points or quests. If a book has like a 50-55 value then it's definitely gonna give you a skill point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please use the Skyrim megathread for discussions located here:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...rim-Discussion