Deleted

Holy Radiance 4.3 question

So I did some PTR testing lately with my guild and it seems that I still cant keep up in AoE healing against Druids for example.
    My gear is 389 and I never had any problems but now in 4.3 I can't keep up with AoE healing.
    I'm raiding 10 man and when there is heavy AoE income and I try to spam 4-5 holy radiance I seem to eat my mana AND am still 2k hps behind our druid...

We just said I'll focus on tank and single Target heavy dmg while the priest and druid are taking care of the AoE.
    Is this common in 10man?
    Because I heard from some friends in 25man Hpal outheal AoE without going oom.

Might the problem be that I still have the habit to judge on cd?
    How is that working anyways?
    Every 30 secs now?

Cheers!

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between 10 and 25 as to what you can do AOE-wise, because 4.3 doesn't change the fact that HR still has proximity requirements. More raiders=more in range at any given time.

You might just not quite have gotten the hang of who to use HR on yet to get the maximum benefit. This should come with time. Also, JOTP lasts 1 minute, so any time within that minute you should be judging. I suggest you find some way to track your JOTP uptime to help.

Deleted
    Yeah on live I have my poweraura tracking me stuff I guess I've to play around with the HR some more.

Edit:
    When does it benefit?
    3+ targets?
    Last edited by mmocb8d63ae199; 2011-11-27 at 08:09 PM.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldriel View Post
    When does it benefit?
    3+ targets?
    It's not really about the number of targets, although of course you should be considering that, but the fact that the AOE is only 10 yards from the target you place it on. 10-man will often have people spread beyond 10 yards, so you have to choose who to place your HR on strategically to get the most people to be hit by it.

Deleted
    I know its supposed to be a buff instead of a nerf, but I liked the mechanic of HR before 4.3 more.
    And I didn't even feel like I was behind on AoE.
    I was such a happy camper with the holy in pve. :/

That might be my problem with the 10 yards. I basically used it like the old radiance...

Holy Radiance is a lot more powerful then you guys seem for it to be. When there is known damage coming out you can Pre-cast it such as with Morchok's stomp and other abilities like that.

The difference between spells like Wild Growth/Circle of Healing is that Holy Radiance is a casted spell and the others are not. This makes a huge difference when the damage goes out and Druid's/Priests hit an instant cast and you have to wait after 3 seconds of there healing for you to be able to heal.

I would suggest trying to determine when the damage is about to come out, Pre-cast a holy radiance on a target that you know will be affected by the damage cast another holy radiance on another person affected by the damage, use a Holy shock on a raid member and then Light of Dawn the group in front of you.

That combination not only gives you a lot of AoE healing but saves you from casting another Holy Radiance in place of the Holy Shock thus saving you more mana and making for less overheal.

Deleted
    Who is better for AoE healing then?
    Druid/priest/paladin?
    (Our raid settup)

I was thinking of just putting me (hpal) to singletarget tanks/heavy income on single.
    Or is that dumb with the buff of HR?

Holy Radiance can hit everyone in the raid, but suffers diminishing returns over 6 (?) players. It's not really worth your while using HR unless the raid is stacked, but their are plenty of fights in Dragon Soul where you are stacked the entire time or in heavy AoE phases. If the raid isn't clumped just spot heal.

If you're having trouble with mana consider your spirit. A lot of Paladins ran low spirit in 4.2. Now that our regen is mainly tied to spirit we rely on spirit as a stat rather than judging for our regen.

It depends on the fight really... Which fight in particular?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanel View Post
    It depends on the fight really... Which fight in particular?
    Almost every fight you're stacked at some point be it the gunship p2 the melees, or madness where you stack all the time (ranges+heals)
    I've probably just to try some more and get the feeling for it.
    I hate the fact that you cast it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Maldriel View Post
    Almost every fight you're stacked at some point be it the gunship p2 the melees, or madness where you stack all the time (ranges+heals)
    I've probably just to try some more and get the feeling for it.
    I hate the fact that you cast it :/
    There's not really that much tank damage that I have seen throughout Dragon Soul as well there being a use for two tanks being used at the same time. There's really no harm in helping raid heal considering that if the other two healers are helping as well some of their heals will hit the tank. If you are concerned about the tank damage but do want to help with raid healing I would suggest casting a Divine light and a Holy Shock on the tank to get it close to topped off and then using Holy Radiance on a raid member to get the most use out of it, then casting a Three holy power Light of Dawn thus transfering more heals to the tank and helping out with raid healing.

Deleted
    Holy radiance is really cool now.

An easy example will be fights like BETH HC, where you indeed need a truck of AOE heals and people are all in the same spot.

Paladins now can do it properly.

The downside is: Prot and Ret can easily remove the spell from the bars, wich sucks.

I have some questions aswell; Are there any limits on how many targets that can have holy radiance on them. Let's say for example, the group i stacked up, will i do more healing if i cast holy radiance on more targets, or is it the same if i cast on just one target?

Also, does it heal raid wise, or does it heal group wise.. like prayer of healing ( w/e it's called.. priest aoe heal)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagseey View Post
    I have some questions aswell; Are there any limits on how many targets that can have holy radiance on them. Let's say for example, the group i stacked up, will i do more healing if i cast holy radiance on more targets, or is it the same if i cast on just one target?

Also, does it heal raid wise, or does it heal group wise.. like prayer of healing ( w/e it's called.. priest aoe heal)
    Holy Radiance - "Imbues a friendly target with radiant energy, healing that target and all allies within 10 yards for 6409 and another 1131 every 0.84 seconds for 3.35 seconds and grants a charge of Holy power. Healing effectiveness diminishes for each player target beyond 6."

This is with me having 2035 haste.

You can have it on multiple targets and I would not suggest casting it into the same target one after another so that you cast it into two different targets one after another to get more benefit from it.

Holy Radiance is an expensive spell, and you have to time your spots with it. Even a rotation like HR-HS-HR-LoD is not sustainable for the entire fight because of the mana cost. You will want to Cluster Finder turned on in Vuhdo and setup for the Holy Radiance parameters (10 yards, from target, 20+ maximum targets) so you can easily see how many people it will affect when you cast it. Less than 5-6 people, and it's probably not worth the mana cost. Also, don't be afraid to Crusader Strike the boss if you are in melee range (which will happen quite a bit). It costs less than a HL, is instant, has a chance to proc a Seal of Insight melee swing mana return, and lets you get a LoD off faster.

We also are probably going to need to more spell selective than we are now. Not judging every 8-12 seconds frees up a lot of GCDs, and a lot more opportunities to burn mana today than we are used to. Losing Shard of Woe is a major regen hit as well. Almost every build is going to want to go for spirit on every piece of gear if at all possible; HR is that strong this tier that regen=output and Spirit will be probably nearly twice as strong as any of the other secondary stats.

Another thing that I found tricky is dealing with the new judgement mechanics. You first have to teach yourself to quit judging at every available opportunity. Once you get that out of your system (and it really screws you up going between live and PTR), you then have to figure out a way to monitor JoTP and actually remembering to judge every minute. You probably want to set up a big obnoxious power aura to alert you if you're in combat without it being up. Letting it fall off for any length of time is a massive regen hit.