Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasok1986 View Post

Right now you are presing LFD button, than pressing "W" and "1" and dungeon is done. Is it fun or MMO at all?
    Some people jump into LFD to get a quick dungeon completed. Some people form their own groups and queue in LFD for the free extra rewards. Some people form a group and go to the dungeon and don't use the LFD function at all. My first Grim Batol group was formed in Twilight Highlands with some people I knew who were also leveling there and we flew over to the dungeon manually. Just like the old days.

LFD gives people options to play how they want.

---------- Post added 2011-12-21 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Play Skyrim or some Facebook game.
    Nice! So swtor is hardcore and casual players should go play something else? Is that what I'm hearing here?

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGuns View Post
    Most people have lives and don't enjoy spending 4-8 hours a day building a "community" on a video game. That's what I've never really understood about the argument against LFD. I just want to run a dungeon to get some gear. I don't want to fall in love with the people that I'm grouped with.
    Whats the reason to play MMO then, Whats the reason to get the gear if you play 1 hour a day to run dungeon with people you see first time and will never see again? Whats the purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Play Skyrim or some Facebook game.
    And this is why you'll never hold a high-ranking position in a corporation. I'm sure EA stockholders would be super pumped if Bioware used your response.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    So people who only have 2 hours a night to play...what do you suggest they do? They just don't have time to be as social as you. Some people just want to log in and run a dungeon. They don't care about working on their server reputation.
    Agreed.

When you reach a certain point in your life you start having more responsibilities and less time to commit to gaming. I actually quit WoW from the end of 2006 to about a month ago and I hate to break it to all of you - WoW is better than it ever was. I can actually have a life and still see endgame content - I fail to see the problem in this. I know Bioware is going to make advances to make it work for the more casual gamers, because if they don't they're going to lose hundreds of thousands of people that won't deal with the hassle of building an Internet reputation.

I realize that some people have 8 hours a day to dedicate to a game but with the average age of gamers going up, developers are going to have to start finding ways to accommodate the lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGuns View Post
    Agreed.

When you reach a certain point in your life you start having more responsibilities and less time to commit to gaming. I actually quit WoW from the end of 2006 to about a month ago and I hate to break it to all of you - WoW is better than it ever was. I can actually have a life and still see endgame content - I fail to see the problem in this. I know Bioware is going to make advances to make it work for the more casual gamers, because if they don't they're going to lose hundreds of thousands of people that won't deal with the hassle of building an Internet reputation.

I realize that some people have 8 hours a day to dedicate to a game but with the average age of gamers going up, developers are going to have to start finding ways to accommodate the lifestyle.
    I am playing 1hours and 30-40 minutes day, and SWTOR is ok for this really, with respectful quality and difficulty, while WOW is now 1 button game, i quit it because of it, since i don't want to pay for nothing really.

TOR have story, TOR have what i loved in WOW..forming community. Its enough to come online, get your group or raid 8 people of friends and do couple of bosses in Operation or couple flashpoints...thats great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasok1986 View Post
    Whats the reason to play MMO then, Whats the reason to get the gear if you play 1 hour a day to run dungeon with people you see first time and will never see again? Whats the purpose?
    See that's the thing. I don't play games to "accomplish" things. I play games to kill time and relax. The leveling in ToR is great and I'll pay for that part of the game, but if I hit a brick wall once I hit level 50 I'll just cancel my account and put my money towards something else.

It's funny because the common response around the Bioware forums are "Leave then, we don't want you!" but when you have 500k-1 million leaving the game because there's nothing to do, then that's ultimately going to affect the hardcore players that stay. EA will hang it out to dry like they did with Warhammer and move onto the next big thing (which will more than likely be f2p with microtransactions).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort459 View Post
    And this is why you'll never hold a high-ranking position in a corporation. I'm sure EA stockholders would be super pumped if Bioware used your response.
    Fine with me i dont want to be a mindless money controlled zombie.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    So people who only have 2 hours a night to play...what do you suggest they do? They just don't have time to be as social as you. Some people just want to log in and run a dungeon. They don't care about working on their server reputation.
    lfg does not have to be cross server to be useful and indeed in many far lesser MMOs it isn't and functions just fine.

its not about working on "server reputation" (again hyperbole). it's about that you should, in an MMO, be part of a community by default as that large scale online community defines the very genre.

and if being in game with lots of people who count you amongst their number freaks you out well, as someone mentioned Skyrim has 150 unique dungeons (tho maybe Diablo 3 would be a better suggestion) and maybe MMOs aren't the gaming genre you're looking for...

*waves hand*.
    Last edited by sleekit; 2011-12-21 at 08:52 AM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

Quote Originally Posted by sleekit View Post
    and if being in game with lots of people who count you amongst their number freaks you out well, as someone mentioned Skyrim has 150 unique dungeons (tho maybe Diablo 3 would be a better suggestion) and MMOs may not actually be the gaming genre you're actually looking for *waves hand*.
    It's weird that in the damage meter threads, it's all about how people don't want it because it promotes elitism. But in the LFD threads, it is suggested that casual players should maybe look at another game if they don't want to play the same way you do.

maybe it reads that way but my real aim is to suggest that the problem can be approached from another angle and turning swtor into a generic wow clone (and possibly by extension any other mmo that comes along) for the sake of familiar convenience represents a lack of original thought and is overall just a bad thing to aim at.

im not against having a lfg tool im just against it being cross server.

swtor has larger server populations than wow (because its newer tech) and similar systems work almost as well as wows in far less populous mmos. swtor also requires less people per group which statistically makes instance groups easier to form. you can also use a companion in an instance group (meaning you can theoretically duo a 4 man instance depending on who you bring along)

i've already commented on the pvp matching system and how they have eliminated the need for a cross server matching pool by having one single map pvp that anyone can fight against anyone in and using it like a "safety valve" for queue balancing. i like that. its original thought and a damn good solution as it solves the PvP queue popping problem but preserves the integrity of the servers community.

Blizzard doesn't have all the ultimate best answers for what an MMO should be. indeed most of their notable additions to the game over the last few years like lfg, quest tracking, queuing anywhere and so on are not even original ideas and were lifted almost straight out of other contemporary MMOs.
    Last edited by sleekit; 2011-12-21 at 09:27 AM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

I hope they add dual spec, but fuck mé i dont hope they add dungeon finder, why people are so lazy i dont know. /WHO is your friend!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dual spec, yes thats nice.
    Remember tanks and healers spending 144g per talent tree respec, just for raids.. sometimes even encounters.
    Dual spec, got to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Okay but they clearly had them at one point. They had to have social skills to succeed and get anywhere in the game prior to lfd. So what changed? Why can't they manage it in lfd? The thing is im sure they CAN or COULD but lfd removes the necessity to do it. That's the real problem. Why the hell should I bother if I can just que again and dump these 4 clowns for another group..
    why do you mind about having a to empty friend list if you dont care about it due to the queue .... if you care about making friends LFD and before are the same. maby even better because you meet more different players

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by towolie View Post
    why do you mind about having a to empty friend list if you dont care about it due to the queue .... if you care about making friends LFD and before are the same. maby even better because you meet more different players
    LEGENDARY post is LEGENDARY!
    It's coming in 1.2!!!