Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Top 10 Strengths of Guild Wars 2

http://www.teamquitter.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=27259

To contrast his "The Top 10 Flaws of Guild Wars 2" article, Damon over at Team Quitter has written another article about the opposite. How do you guys feel about it? Do you agree? Disagree? Think something else should be up there? Post your thoughts!
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a pretty boring and generic list in my opinion. Granted, I probably couldn't write anything better because I suck with words.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't know about the Custom Server thingy...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Custom Private Servers? 0_o

I... I... I've been living under a rock apparently.
    That sounds great!

10+ Year Old Account
    "Custom Private Servers" is very misleading, here it was it says in his source:
    Additionally, Eric and Colin said they are considering a plan to allow players to create their own PvP matches within the same system as the official match servers (as opposed to "hosting" private servers). The idea, if it makes it into the game in time, is to let players tweak the rules and requirements to their specifications...

I don't think it's a true custom server. I saw the vid where Colin talks about it and it alludes to a lobby (that's hosted by anet, similar to hosting/creating instances) where you can adjust rules to whatever you want. In anycase, that is still awesome and I don't think any MMO has done this yet. This is great to set private tournaments with people doing weird stuff like dodgeball, snowball arena, maybe even zombie games.
    Last edited by aej; 2011-11-30 at 12:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading his last article, and then reading this one, I still believe he's just a big PvP whiner.
    "10 weaknesses" = whining about things he doesn't even really know about.
    "10 strengths" = a weak list of things EVERYONE knows about.

inb4 "but he r site admin and make otter gud articulz!!!1!!!!!!1!!"
    I. Don't. Care.

Sounds like an ArenaNet guy trying to sell me the game. Bleh. The other post was solid if complex. This is a sales pitch.

He's played GW2 and it's a PVP focused website, Cuchulainn.

RE: article

Some good stuff. #11 and #2 are huge points in the future success of the game. #3 however, is yet to be proven on Live servers but is a pretty big gamble. If it works it'll be quite a shift in MMO deign down the road, IMO.

No comment or opinion on PVP stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    He's played GW2 and it's a PVP focused website, Cuchulainn.
    I've been aware of this for awhile now. I actually enjoyed reading some of the TQ articles, then "10 weaknesses" article was made and I lost interest. I mean, sure "QQ" might be stamped in huge green letters all over the site, but if you're going to point out weaknesses, then at least not sound like a whiner about it. Which IMO he was clearly doing.

Him playing GW2 has nothing to do with it, so what? Plenty of people have played GW2, and then gave good feedback to the devs about their polished demos at cons. As a site admin, I'd just expect a little more. We can't all be perfect though, but when you're a community figure, you kind of have to word things carefully. He didn't, and some people think he's ignorant for that reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh sounds pretty lame and unthought out, those are reasons that just about everyone seems to like GW2, at least what we've seen of it... regardless of how biased/awful the points were on the QQ one at least it was original...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Him playing GW2 has nothing to do with it, so what?
    This:
    whining about things he doesn't even really know about.
    made it seem like you believe he hasn't played the game. Was about all I meant to point out.

I may have misread it though. Eh, miscommunication.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This:

made it seem like you believe he hasn't played the game. Was about all I meant to point out.

I may have misread it though. Eh, miscommunication.
    That comment was more directed toward the fact that he can't possibly complain about a game that he hasn't fully played yet. A demo is a demo. If I were to play a demo of HL2 and then call it bad in 10 ways, would my point really be valid? I think his "10 weaknesses" article would have been better if he did it after getting a character from 1-80 in the full version. The same goes for his "10 strengths" article, which is just as flimsy. I understand he might have just made that article in an attempt to redeem himself, but it only added salt to the wound IMO.

BTW, I apologize for being a total douche to you in the LFD thread. After reading your posts I see you're just a consistent poster. I'm the type of guy who drops a thread if it starts going in circles, so I THOUGHT you were just attention whoring in the thread.

as some have already said before, meh "top" list.

but more importantly, is there going to be a new topic here for every new post he'll put on his blog or something?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    That comment was more directed toward the fact that he can't possibly complain about a game that he hasn't fully played yet. A demo is a demo. If I were to play a demo of HL2 and then call it bad in 10 ways, would my point really be valid? I think his "10 weaknesses" article would have been better if he did it after getting a character from 1-80 in the full version. The same goes for his "10 strengths" article, which is just as flimsy. I understand he might have just made that article in an attempt to redeem himself, but it only added salt to the wound IMO.
    Of course he can complain about it. A demo is a demo but not a completely different game than the release candidate.
    And why should one have to play from 1 to 80 to be able to formulate points that you're uncomfortable with and want to point out to the developers? That only shows that you on the one hand ignore that fact that you can actually play a lot of the game's content even with level 1 and on the other hand that these articles are about PvP, so the leveling process has no importance whatsoever.

I for one prefer to read critical articles about a game I'm looking forward to from someone who played the game multiple times - even if I can't agree with everything, which is the case here - over reading posts which basically just say "the game's not out yet, so noone is allowed to write about it... in a way I don't like".

Quote Originally Posted by Socram View Post
    Of course he can complain about it. A demo is a demo but not a completely different game than the release candidate.
    actually, considering it's a demo based on the alpha version of the game, it can still be much different by the time it gets to pre-release.
    a whole LOT of things already changed since the firsts alpha. while they won't revamp all they've done till now, they can still make major changes like how they chose to remove energy as a skill resource.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what if one or two things of the "flaws" list were already changed in the current build or will be changed when the closed beta starts? Would that make the complete article obsolete? Will he in shame emigrate to a small island and live in isolation after he finds out about his mistake?

I don't think so Just take it as what it is, feedback and an opinion. It won't worsen the game - if the devs think that all points are bullshit, then they won't change anything. If they think that anything on the list may be an actual flaw, chances are quite high that it might enhance the quality of the game.

I've read both articles and he scores some points on both.

Ofc. as someone who's updated on this game I don't feel like I learned something new. That isn't the deal with this post either. What I feel about the posts is a informational post to people who don't know the game and might push them over the edge to buy it.

It's good to read an article from a real critic. There are enough critics who blindly give big credits without supporting their comments. I feel otherwise here. There are some stuff in the other article where I felt it's unnecessary, but that's a good really. Why? It's a top 10. If a Top 10 about bad things consist about minor things. Doesn't that mean we have a great game in our hands?

Don't be offended by this guy, his articles is a matter of facts but also opinions, and opinions differs from one another.

Just take them both with a grain of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading his last article, and then reading this one, I still believe he's just a big PvP whiner.
    "10 weaknesses" = whining about things he doesn't even really know about.
    "10 strengths" = a weak list of things EVERYONE knows about.
    I couldn't say better.

Yeah generic list, indeed. All of these are things I already knew (As most of us did)