4.3 decisions. Stay on my frost dk or switch over to my ret pally?

Couldnt decide on whether or not to post this on the dk forums, so I decided to change it up and post it on the pally forums. Basically, I want to play the spec that will be the most comptetitive. Assume that I play both specs optimally for argument's sake =). At the moment im gearing up my ret paladin, and I really want to make it my main again. I enjoy playing it much more than my dk, but I enjoy playing competitively with other dps as well. Im not looking for the "play whatever you think is the most fun" response. This post is directed more to ret pallies that have been in high end raiding environments. Are you guys being competitive against other melee dps in similar ilvl? (frost dks cough)
    Check out my youtube channel!!! Gaming videos GALORE!!! :http://www.youtube.com/user/Antigravitydawgz

What I saw from some sims in t12 H ret paladins should top the meters, but that is due to a high uptime on CD's and patchwerk style.. but dunno in t 13

10+ Year Old Account
    Ret pallies are decent in dps, but mechanics wise 4.3 is the same as 4.2. You want to play 'competitive'. Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean yo-yoing within a variance of 5k+ dps, then yes, ret is still a dps yo-yo. We don't suck, we aren't super amazing, we aren't consistent. It's the same in 4.3 because the core mechanics (RNG-ness) are still the same.

They changed the buffs around, and I do think all that changes is lowering the variance, as we are not as reliant on AW phase as we were. We are still reliant on procs. It does make TV hit hard as hell though, which is funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    Ret pallies are decent in dps, but mechanics wise 4.3 is the same as 4.2. You want to play 'competitive'. Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean yo-yoing within a variance of 5k+ dps, then yes, ret is still a dps yo-yo. We don't suck, we aren't super amazing, we aren't consistent. It's the same in 4.3 because the core mechanics (RNG-ness) are still the same.

They changed the buffs around, and I do think all that changes is lowering the variance, as we are not as reliant on AW phase as we were. We are still reliant on procs. It does make TV hit hard as hell though, which is funny.
    I meant competitive as in keeping up with others in terms of dps even with mediocre RNG.
    Check out my youtube channel!!! Gaming videos GALORE!!! :http://www.youtube.com/user/Antigravitydawgz

10+ Year Old Account
    Frost dk for pvp, Ret for pve, thats what I'm actually doing atm -.-
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonuts View Post
    Pretty sad when being deathgripped is my most reliable gap closer! THAT is some BS too.

we cleared 8/8 2nite and our 2 frost dks were by far the top melee followed reasonably close by ret/wars. Id say stick with your dk, they seem to be amazing so far, especially as quite a few fights have burst aoe opportunities they can benefit from.

play the class you like. you will do more dps with a class you like then a one you like less.

Deleted
    As a DK you'll always be viable in both pvp and pve and if you ever get a change, it's a buff 9 out of 10 times. Ret paladin is pretty much the exakt opposite.

I'd stick with the frost dk personally. While both classes have their RNG mechanics, paladins not only have a lot more, but you have to juggle a lot more cds on top of that to stay competitive. Frost also has the stronger AoE (at least in my experience).

That being said, you enjoy the ret paladin more, so now is probably the best time to change.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies