Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Woman chews off arms for art.

Just as the title says. A woman pulls off one arm and chews off the other in the name of art. I am quite speechless for this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...html?ref=miami
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Wait - the article wasn't quite clear - is it a real person ripping off a real arm with the other arm, and if so, can I have their superpower to use for fighting evil instead of self-mutilation?

Deleted
    Pointless "art". Pretentious and utterly shallow.

Deleted
    What the?! How do you rip of your arm btw? :c

I think it's safe to say it was not her literally removing her arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know she didn't actually do it, right? That article was terrible at mentioning that fact, though.

Thought it would be a interesting read.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

It's a creative and evocative use of the Venus de Milo imagery, for sure. Very interesting.

Much less boring 'shock factor' than I was expecting.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2011-12-01 at 04:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maharishi View Post
    You do know she didn't actually do it, right? That article was terrible at mentioning that fact, though.
    Lol, I know, wasn't sure if it was supposed to be real at first.

Damn misleading article. Huffingtonpost, what do you expect... it took me a while to figure that out.

It looks really fake, assuming it's not real?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Each one to his own I guess. That's not how I interpreted it. I saw below the facade and took in the meaning of the work, and I liked it. Well thought out and executed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Deleted
    this is ART ????? where the fuk is the world going ??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    It's a creative and evocative use of the Venus de Milo imagery, for sure. Very interesting.

Much less boring 'shock factor' than I was expecting.
    It's not evocative. It's shallow art, the art that has dominated the world since the 1920s onwards. It is has a singular layer of expression, that is so over the top as to become comedic rather than have a serious aspect. This is not done in an ironic fashion.

I'm sorry to sound like an ass, but this qualifies as "trash art", like "trash novels".

I agree with this post.

You don't attain depth this way, pedantic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaoskadosk View Post
    Each one to his own I guess. That's not how I interpreted it. I saw below the facade and took in the meaning of the work, and I liked it. Well thought out and executed.
    There is no facade, there is only the singular layer of imagery, expression and intent. The artist plainly outlines the point of the piece, it is about vanity. If you like it then great, you might enjoy her other work. But don't think that this is actual art, it's entertainment.

It's not evocative. It's shallow art, the art that has dominated the world since the 1920s onwards. It is has a singular layer of expression, that is so over the top as to become comedic rather than have a serious aspect. This is not done in an ironic fashion.

I'm sorry to sound like an ass, but this qualifies as "trash art", like "trash novels".
    Seen worse, sure it's nothing amazing, but it's still better than just painting a canvas blue and nothing else and calling that art.

10+ Year Old Account
    But don't think that this is actual art, it's entertainment.
    You are disrespecting the whole artscene by saying that. Sorry, but no artist will sit and call other peoples work "not art". It's just rubbish igorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Seen worse, sure it's nothing amazing, but it's still better than just painting a canvas blue and nothing else and calling that art.
    I consider them the same. But sadly some people will think this is a soulful observation of blah blah blah, god it really depresses me that people accept this as art and not simply entertainment.

I certainly hope, for the "artist"'s sake that it's not her real arms she's biting off. If it is, then that will be the last piece of "art she will ever do, and she'll maim herself for next to nothing of what she's sacrificing is worth.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64