Problem with the graphics card fan

Hi guys

So, recently I discovered that through the Catalyst Control Center I could increase the fan speed. At first I thought that this was great because it has become very hot where I live and at times the temperature inside the computer would become too hot and the computer would turn off (Well the graphics card would turn off, everything else would continue to run)

I increased the fan speed to about 80% one night (I had done a test at 100% but then changed it back to 50%) because it was getting pretty hot. I also put a big fan near the computer. When I changed the speed of the graphics card to 80%, in a minute the graphics card turned off and yet the computer was still running (except I had no picture on the screen).

So I have tried to turn the computer on numerous times and I would get to the desktop screen and everything would be fine for a few minutes... Then the graphics card fan kicked in. When I heard it turn on, the computer would again turn off, well the screen would turn off and yet the everything inside the desktop tower was still running. I have no clue what's going on, I don't think it's a power issue. The computer runs fine in safe mode with no problems at all. If you guys need anymore information I will try to give it.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Laxzal; 2011-12-01 at 08:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Temperatures?? Need to confirm if overheating is the actual issue here.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Well I don't know the temperature anymore because I don't have enough time to check it because the screen turns off. But when the problem first occurred, before it had trouble turning one the temperature of the graphics card was 64 degrees Celsius. After that, I would assume it's pretty low since I started it up a day later when I first noticed the problem of it continuously turning off when the fans kicked in.