PC not detecting external harddrive

So I'm trying to connect my external harddrive to my pc and it just won't detect it.
    My laptop doesn't find it either.
    I tried disconnecting it and connecting it again but to no avail.
    Is there anything I can do?
    Specs: I5 3570K - GTX 670 - 8 gb ram
    My youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aldrashan

10+ Year Old Account
    It's most likely damaged due to falling on the floor, even if you transported it somewhere, they're pretty easy to damage
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Control Panel > Disk Management > Format the external drive

If the drive can still not be accessed double check the power connections. Quite possible you have a DOA drive though.

Out of curiosity what is the make / model of the drive?

Deleted
    How does one format a drive that the PC won't detect?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalizari View Post
    How does one format a drive that the PC won't detect?
    In disk management, where disks that aren't in explorer often appear.

@OP

You didn't try to lock it with some kind of locking software, did you? I once locked my USB flash drive, which then wasn't found by any computer until I reran the locking program (which I had to re download since it was on the flash drive, best concept for a program ever).

Also, did it get damaged while falling or something? In that case it's most of the time dead, unrecoverable.

Just some extra info, might help if you have the same-ish issue...
    I've seen a video by Linustechtips where he puts an external HDD in the freezer, which temporarily fixes the thing, long enough to take of the data. I don't know if you need data that's still on it but here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHBg0mrHXOQ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    In disk management, where disks that aren't in explorer often appear.

@OP

You didn't try to lock it with some kind of locking software, did you? I once locked my USB flash drive, which then wasn't found by any computer until I reran the locking program (which I had to re download since it was on the flash drive, best concept for a program ever).

Also, did it get damaged while falling or something? In that case it's most of the time dead, unrecoverable.

Just some extra info, might help if you have the same-ish issue...
    I've seen a video by Linustechtips where he puts an external HDD in the freezer, which temporarily fixes the thing, long enough to take of the data. I don't know if you need data that's still on it but here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHBg0mrHXOQ
    Just to explain the reason for putting it in the freezer. You do this to contracted the moveable parts. It's opposite to the way that humitity expands wooden doors in your house and makes them harder to close.

Also in disk management check your drive letters. if you have your internal HDD as C: and say 2 CD ROMS as D: and E: make sure any reserved removable drive ports are higher letters. sometimes the external will try and use for example F: and the ports for an SD Slot will be taking that up. so change your removable media ports to higher letters on the alphabet to make room for your external to take an earlier letter.

I had this happen to an external drive, unfortunately. We went to the extent of actually remove the HDD from inside the external case to see if the fault was within the components of the case and not in the drive itself. Didn't help in my case, which is pretty sad