Thread: Steam Cloud

Steam Cloud

So I'm finishing up my new gaming computer tomorrow, and one of my big questions is: do Steam saves transfer over automatically?

I don't really care that I have to re-download all the games, that's not a big deal to me. I tried looking up info on this, but I couldn't really find any. Just wondering, when I re-install games off Steam and launch them, will my save data be there automatically, is there something I have to do first, or does save data not transfer at all and I was grossly misinformed?

For games that support steam cloud, saved games should transfer over as long as the steam cloud is updated with the current game saves. I started a new oblivion save and got a new comp 3 weeks after and last week when i installed it on the new comp my same save was there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmak View Post
    So I'm finishing up my new gaming computer tomorrow, and one of my big questions is: do Steam saves transfer over automatically?

I don't really care that I have to re-download all the games, that's not a big deal to me. I tried looking up info on this, but I couldn't really find any. Just wondering, when I re-install games off Steam and launch them, will my save data be there automatically, is there something I have to do first, or does save data not transfer at all and I was grossly misinformed?
    I doubt it has changed recently, i always had to go to my documents folder and snag all my saves from there. Just use a USB drive.

EDIT

I guess its changed for some games.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the game supports Steam cloud (like almost 90% of the games) your saves will be there automatically and you won´t have to bother with using USB drives and such.
    Its one of the great things about Steam.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Sounds good, thanks guys. I was mainly just worried about my Terraria world.