Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Loot quality color change

In beta this weekend, they have changed the color of quest received items of rare quality (blue gear) to have an orange border. At first I was like "WTF LEGENDARY FROM A QUEST!" then I noticed that most quest rewards that should be "blue" were orange, as well as everything you can buy from the commodation vendors.

Just wanted to let you guys know ahead of time of that change (if it stays).

Also, what do you think about it? I think it's a bit odd to see orange gear all over my character or to get it from quests but I guess it takes some getting used to.

Prolly trying to distance themselves from wow and clones any way they can... Not that they need to since its better

Fully moddable gear is orange. There is still "standard" blue gear with built-in stats but no mods.

Deleted
    I had a ranged dps item stolen by a tank because he thought it was a legendary

Anyone found a colorblind mode?

I can see it if it is for moddable items, though I wish they just used like a cyan or something, the reason they stuck with the basic colors was the whole don't fix what aint broken. Most games these days go with the same color system as to change will just confuse people for no reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Anyone found a colorblind mode?
    you might want to look at http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=54377

seems bioware are aware of the communities desire for these modes, but I didnt read the thread so not sure what their plans are.

Quote Originally Posted by tripplebooya View Post
    Prolly trying to distance themselves from wow and clones any way they can... Not that they need to since its better
    Yea they really don't need to, it only confuses people. This is an unneeded change.

They had orange gear from quests like a month ago. When you finish your class quest the weapon you get was orange. They want to show you that you can upgrade these items. It's part of keeping the same 'look' of a cool item and still having competitive stats with other weapons that are your level.

Orange is an underused color and just because it represents a legendary in wow doesn't mean it has to be like that for every game.

the item is still rare quality (blue), tooltip name is still blue etc..., but the orange border is only for item that can be modable, so its easier for player to identify what item can get upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by devidoll View Post
    They had orange gear from quests like a month ago. When you finish your class quest the weapon you get was orange. They want to show you that you can upgrade these items. It's part of keeping the same 'look' of a cool item and still having competitive stats with other weapons that are your level.

Orange is an underused color and just because it represents a legendary in wow doesn't mean it has to be like that for every game.
    Ive been in beta 4 times already and not once have I seen orange gear. Which means people from last weekend haven't either. Don't act like "OMG ITS BEEN IN THE GAME FOREVER" because it wasn't in the game before like it is now - like everywhere constantly.

And no crap it doesn't have to be like that in every game. I was just giving people a heads up, not complaining.

Hmm, I see why they did it, but the color they chose is...unfortunate. SWTOR is helped by being similar enough to wow that most people don't have to learn a lot of things. Item rarity being one of those aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Ive been in beta 4 times already and not once have I seen orange gear. Which means people from last weekend haven't either. Don't act like "OMG ITS BEEN IN THE GAME FOREVER" because it wasn't in the game before like it is now - like everywhere constantly.

And no crap it doesn't have to be like that in every game. I was just giving people a heads up, not complaining.
    It was first like that four or five builds ago when they changed to the mod system in a way that everyone hated. I noticed that the lightsaber I got from my class quest on Korriban at the time had an orange border and orange name. In recent builds they changed the mod system again and changed the colors back to blue, and apparently in this build it's back to Orange.
    Last edited by Tore; 2011-12-04 at 03:22 AM.

Why is orange always used for legendary stuff? WoW and it's orange legendaries, even in Magic: The Gathering, Mythic Rare cards have an orange icon... Is it something about the color orange that appeals to "THIS SHIT IS BADASS, USE IT"?

Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    It was first like that four or five builds ago when they changed to the mod system in a way that everyone hated. I noticed that the lightsaber I got from my class quest on Korriban at the time had an orange border and orange name. In recent builds they changed the mod system again and changed the colors back to blue, and apparently in this build it's back to Orange.
    Thank you for the clarification! It's grown on me now. I like it. Lets me know I can mod it and not have to replace it any time soon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Adding a summary here, as I feel it's an important change for people:

Gear dictates the look of what you are wearing and it's armor type.
    Mods dictate all stats on gear.
    You can have gear with no stats because it doesn't have mods in it.
    You can alter the gear by replacing specific mods with others, altering stat allocation.

Green, Blue, and Purple are the same as wow - it drops with one or two slots open for modification, but comes with a pre-defined set. You can mod over existing mods, losing the original. You can "disenchant" this gear to get mods.

Orange has been added and can be obtained as early as level 8. This is not "Legendary" but rather customizable. It does not come with any mods. You can mod over existing ones but KEEP the original. The trade-off is that you must spend a lot of time maintaining this gear as you level, whereas blue and purple gear is quite easy to maintain (and throw away later). The point of this gear is to allow you to keep a specific look about you while keeping up in gear.

At end-game, Purple gear will immediately be superior to Orange gear, as you must wait for Purple-quality modifications to drop in operations. Once you have 4 of these modifications, the Orange gear becomes equal to or slightly superior to Purple gear, as you can customize your stat allocation to what is best for your class/spec.

So, long story short, in WoW terms:
    Green, Blue, and Purple function like socketable WoW gear.
    Orange Gear functions like socketable wow gear where you can unsocket and keep those gems.
    Purple Gear is better than Orange Gear right off the bat.
    Orange Gear equals (or in terms of scale factors, may be slightly better) Purple Gear after you have fully customized with raid materials

R.I.P. YARG

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrin View Post
    Why is orange always used for legendary stuff? WoW and it's orange legendaries, even in Magic: The Gathering, Mythic Rare cards have an orange icon... Is it something about the color orange that appeals to "THIS SHIT IS BADASS, USE IT"?
    Because nothing rhymes with "ORANGE"!!!!

Orange is the new color for modafiable gear. there is a big write up about the mod gear on the swtor forums, and im pretty sure someone above posted the link, it explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gxeternal View Post
    Orange is the new color for modafiable gear. there is a big write up about the mod gear on the swtor forums, and im pretty sure someone above posted the link, it explains a lot.
    Who are you replying to?

I'm not sure if it was still like this in the very last weekend beta they conducted. I noticed in the previous weekend test (the only one I was able to get in on) that unlike WoW you can remove an existing mod in the gear prior to placing the mod you want to use in it for a price. A mod removed in this manner is bound to you though so you won't be able to trade it. However, I was able to reverse engineer or vendor them. Vendor price was less than the cost to remove it of course.
    The Affliction warlock laughs while they are dead.
    The Destruction warlock laughs while they are on fire.
    The Demonology warlock laughs while they are stunned.