Deleted

Smile Final explanation with DoTs and Procs

Okay, second question from me today, but I caught myself doing weird stuff during the fight and I'd rather have this thing cleared up once and for all.

I have PowerAuras set to show me 2 things: DMC:Volcano and Power Torrent procs. They both have the same ICD and most of the time they activate the very same moment.

Start of the fight is simple, I put CoE, Haunt, Shadowbolt, pop DS and start with UA-Corr then, if both procs light up - BoD and Shadowflame, if not the other way around.

Okay, cool.

But then the procs light up midfight and they don't line-up with BoD's time. It's usually in the middle of the DoT. And so, wanting to have by BoD strong, I recast it and then oftentimes recast UA as well before the procs are gone.

Am I doing it right or am I doing it wrong by wasting GCDs? I'm kind of here.

Also, I have the Dragonwrath staff and I was only pulling barely over 30k on Ultraxion tonight at the end of the fight (so execute phase). I'm not really sure how much it should be in 10man, but judging by how little I was above the rogue and frost DK I think I'm really doing something wrong as with the legendary it should be more

I always thought I got the spec nailed down but I'm starting to honestly doubt it. It may just have to do with that bad DoT management, because honestly - what else? I have all DoTs up, 3 SE stacks and there's no other target to even remotely focus on :P I don't have logs from this week yet, might have from another one. I got 384 ilvl, I'm positive my gemming, reforging and spec are fine -> http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...89cho/advanced

EDIT: actually after getting some explanation here about the DoTs mechanics, I think I'm gonna get some logs next week and take a trip to "Fix my DPS" topic. I just simcrafted my char and it said I should be doing over 37k DPS which is 7k more XD There must be something quite wrong with the way I play lol.
    Last edited by mmoc54ae987777; 2011-12-04 at 01:11 AM.

I remember seeing you post your UI in the 'Warlock UIs' thread before.

No offence, but you might to fix your UI first.

As for your dps, without any logs, it'll be hard to nail down the root cause.

Should also log out in Pve gear.

as affliction i don't think you want to over ride a DS BoD, even if you have trinket/weapon proc in the middle of a BoD duration (although ideally you will want to pop ur cooldowns when ur procs are up)

otherwise, if you have an "unbuffed" BoD and then you have your procs pop up you should over ride it (i usually try to look out for the tick and then use them right after)

also as the other posters said, log out in ur pve gear and post some logs if u need help

The only DoT you reapply is BoD with significant procs. ie: felhunter DS, or having multiple trinket / power torrent procs up at once, but as said don't override a Felhunter DS BoD.

I recast corruption if my 4pc procs, as well as re multidot if I have a secondary target

Deleted
    I'm doing very well with my, UI, thank you :P It's a monster to those who aren't used to it, but I see everything I need to there :9

Silverhatred - isn't corruption automatically updated by casting Haunt?

I'll bring my logs to the fix my DPS topic next week. Right now we don't have sensible bosses to parse from, I fear And by that I mean Ultraxion atm. For now I'll just be content with the whole DoT-refresh clarification, but the opinions here differ still

There won't be very straigthforward answers because there's dozens of variables and the math isn't that simple. Well there may be few situations where the benefit is obvious, but you have to count in all the factors like how many buffs the current dot ticks have compared to buffs you have now, how many ticks left etc etc. Usually it's best, and simplest to just time BoD with on-use abilities like DS and trinket.

Also remember that SimCraft doesn't refresh anything based on procs and never clips BoD(even though sometimes it is beneficial), and that BoD does only about 10% of your total damage, so I don't think monitoring procs can make even a noticable dps difference, and definately won't explain why you're 7k behind simulation. To find out what causes that 7k you have to compare simcraft spell details to your combatlog details, probably missing some buffs and not casting enough many SB/DS.