Poll: Are you special?

Thread: Are we Special?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Agent Smith put it best in The Matrix with his "like a virus" speech personally.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Pompa View Post
    1. there is no life outside earth, even Mitio Kaku hinted at that.
    Is he god now?
    saying "there's no life because a science fiction writer said so" is just.. well.. I don't want to get infracted. The fact is we don't know, but there's enough roughly reliable data to make it almost certain that there's life somewhere else.

if universe is inifinitly big, and billions of yers old, there would be at least 1 intelligent race, there should be millions of, but at least one, that would transcend from civilization type 0 (bound to it's home planet) to type 1 (bound to its solar system) and then type 2 (able to travel through entire universe), that would find us, or be able to contact us. That ofcourse never happened. So either life is earth exclusive, or its impossible to travel through space or communicate with far away civilizations.
    its very silly to assume that 1 race that can transcend leaving the planet has enough ability to communicate with every single life form in the universe. We've left our planet and clearly we can't even locate anyone outside of our own little rock. The universe is fucking big. Assuming that just because you can leave your planet automatically assumes that you should be in contact with earth is just silly as sin.[/QUOTE]

a chick blowing her brains out. Am I now more special because of this?
    Last edited by Fuzzzie; 2011-12-05 at 04:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    Is he god now?
    saying "there's no life because a science fiction writer said so" is just.. well.. I don't want to get infracted.
    theres no life OUTSIDE OF EARTH because logic and common sense told me so, and also a science fiction writer who for once focused on the "science" instead of "fiction", yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    but there's enough roughly reliable data to make it almost certain that there's life somewhere else.
    feel free to name at least one

its very silly to assume that 1 race that can transcend leaving the planet has enough ability to communicate with every single life form in the universe. We've left our planet and clearly we can't even locate anyone outside of our own little rock. The universe is fucking big. Assuming that just because you can leave your planet automatically assumes that you should be in contact with earth is just silly as sin.
    if life emerges from non alive matter, there should be life on almost every planet, it could take diffirent forms, it could be even not based on carbon, life always finds a way to adapt to the envitorment and survive... thats, you know, the whole idea of evolution. Life changes to survive. But apperently, it doesnt do that, so either evolution is wrong, or life life doesnt emerge from non alive matter. Scientists have tried to do that since, what, 100 years? no success. Even with modern technology. So that supports the idea that life cant appear from non-life.

anyway, we can leave our planet, but we are still bound to it, we are civilization type 0.

and we try to contact aliens since X years, no response. i dont know how far our signals reached yet, but if aliens do the same, since houndreds, thousands or even millions of years, we should got something by now, and we dont.

a chick blowing her brains out. Am I now more special because of this?
    i see you have a hard time getting the the message

theres no life OUTSIDE OF EARTH because logic and common sense told me so, and also a science fiction writer who for once focused on the "science" instead of "fiction", yes.
    common sense tells you that theres 1 planet out of a probably 400 sextillion planets with life on it? alright.

feel free to name at least one
    "because I can't see it means it doesnt exist" is all you're amounting too in this argument.

if life emerges from non alive matter, there should be life on almost every planet, it could take diffirent forms, it could be even not based on carbon, life always finds a way to adapt to the envitorment and survive... thats, you know, the whole idea of evolution. Life changes to survive.
    except thats not how life works. Life doesn't just magically appear out of non-alive matter. it takes a lot of special ingredients from what we can tell to happen. thats obviously why the planets in our solar system save us don't have it.

But apperently, it doesnt do that, so either evolution is wrong, or life life doesnt emerge from non alive matter.
    or you don't understand how evolution works *hint. Things can't evolve if they aren't alive to begin with.

Scientists have tried to do that since, what, 100 years? no success. Even with modern technology. So that supports the idea that life cant appear from non-life.
    Our science today is far from pinnacle. we barely have any knowledge of the ocean trenches of our own planet, much less how to make life from literally scratch.

anyway, we can leave our planet, but we are still bound to it, we are civilization type 0.

and we try to contact aliens since X years, no response. i dont know how far our signals reached yet, but if aliens do the same, since houndreds, thousands or even millions of years, we should got something by now, and we dont.
    do you understand how big space is or do i really need to explain the concept of light years too you
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Deleted
    except thats not how life works. Life doesn't just magically appear out of non-alive matter. it takes a lot of special ingredients from what we can tell to happen. thats obviously why the planets in our solar system save us don't have it.
    because earth millions years ago, which was like, a dead, hot rock, was definetly a better place for life to emerge than earth today, or, a laboratory with everything needed to create life form. that sure makes sense.

do you understand how big space is or do i really need to explain the concept of light years too you
    signals broadcasted millions years ago would already reach us by now.

---------- Post added 2011-12-05 at 04:36 AM ----------

or you don't understand how evolution works *hint. Things can't evolve if they aren't alive to begin with.
    actually any change is evolution... did you heard about stellar evolution or chemical evolution? going form non alive to alive is also part of evolution.
    Last edited by mmoc905327e755; 2011-12-05 at 03:38 AM.

because earth millions years ago, which was like, a dead, hot rock, was definetly a better place for life to emerge than earth today, or, a laboratory with everything needed to create life form. that sure makes sense.
    thats not how it started. for starters there was actually water on the planet when life started and it was a lot cooler than when it was a giant molten rock. the planet also had to be a certain heat (which other planets in our system arent) had to have a certain amount of radiation come in (which other planets in our system don't have) have certain elements such as oxygen and water (which other planets dont have) along with other necessities. it wasn't just a random jumble and poof life was there!

signals broadcasted millions years ago would already reach us by now.[COLOR="red"]
    o no yea totally. i mean if aliens millions of years ago exactly millions of light years away shot a signal at our planet then totally.

actually any change is evolution... did you heard about stellar evolution or chemical evolution? going form non alive to alive is also part of evolution.
    evolution is when living organisms have biological changes to suit their surroundings. a non-living organism cannot evolve because it's not alive

I just want to point out that it took life something like 1.5 billion years to even evolve into what we consider as the most basic lifeforms. And it wasn't until 1 billion years ago that we even got lifeforms that were more than a single cell.

How long have those lab experiments been going on for?
    Last edited by Larynx; 2011-12-05 at 04:56 AM.

Deleted
    Special in the sense that the odds of you coming into existence are mindboggelingly close to zero, yet here you are and you're obviously also aware of it? Yes, very

Special in the sense that you're therefore entitled to anything and/or have any significance at a universal level? Not at all.

Deleted
    Well I'd like to think so considering we bested 250 million of our brothers and sisters before we were even born :P

OTP: As a whole we might be special but individually we are not (unless of course you do something significant in your life)

By reproducing you contribute to the conclusion of the human race. So theoretically, if we don't nuke ourselves to death, if humans populate a new world before the sun extinguishes us, and if we survive whatever cosmic dangers in the far future long enough to spread out into a much larger portion of the galaxy or even universe, each of us will be special. Our descendants will be responsible for that, and we will be responsible for our descendants. That's all very unlikely though. I like to think that we could become important one day in millions of years :P
    Quote from Sick4Paradise -

Wow, they should give you Ghostcrawler's job. Wait, no that's a bad idea, because you have no idea what you're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguera View Post
    Everyone is unique, not special.
    Agree with this.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, because when you scope out the camera to the point where you can see all of the solar system, you can barely even see us. Then if you scale out so that you can see the whole galaxy, you can't see the solar system.

And that's one galaxy in a universe with billions.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Nope, because when you scope out the camera to the point where you can see all of the solar system, you can barely even see us. Then if you scale out so that you can see the whole galaxy, you can't see the solar system.

And that's one galaxy in a universe with billions.
    You shouldn't see it like that, but more on a cultural scale.

Yeah sure, if you scope it out our whole solar system, you'll only see a small dot that represents our planet. Compared to that big ball of fire (our sun) we are nothing.

But can the sun say that it had a rich culture that's been going on for more than 2000 years? Can the sun say that it has been developing life for over a billion years?

We may be insignificant on a cosmic scale, but on a cultural scale we are priceless.

Then you'll probably say: ALIENS! But to be honest, I don't think there'll be a lot of intelligent lifeforms out there. First of all, the planet will need to be habitable for life, then if the planet has some sort of life (cells) then the cells still need to develop into bigger lifeforms which will already take a lot of % out of probability of intelligent life. And let's not even talk about the probability of life.

I'm kind of referring to the Drake equation here. And I believe it's not a big number.

So yes, we are very special. As this universe is also actually meant for us, for life. If life wouldn't exist, the universe would be pointless.