Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The "point"... what a subjective human concept.
    It's whatever you make it to be. If you don't see any, then it's pointless for you.
    However, you can't determine if it's pointless to others, as you're not them.

It is Lego in 3D, but there is also no gravity allowing for epic builds.

This video by Zero Punctuation might be a good introduction:

For anyone with an imagination, this game can be an amazing creative outlet and an awesome way to socialize with your friends. Seriously, turning a boring island into our evil lair (complete with volcano) was probably the most fun I've had playing videogames with my roommates. If you prefer something linear or maybe story/character driven, then this game might seem pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Why do people need to insult other games or activities to justify Minecraft?

How are responses like "what is the point of wow" have to do with "what is the point of minecraft" ...

A lot of people ask themselves this question... its very unclear if there are objectives in minecraft, if you can customize triggers or objectives, or what you can exactly do... why the need to attack other things in order to explain that there is no point to minecraft, its a time killer.
    wow wasn't insulted, they said what is the point of both then they said fun. there's no insult.

Deleted
    What's the point of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by KinectFAAST View Post
    I don't get it, is it just lego for adults?
    Who said legos aren't for adults? The ages 4 and up (or whatever age they list) for the blocks and E rating on the games suggests legos are for everyone.

short but clear : the point of this game is to be creative. not only to sit around and place blocks - you have do be creative enough ! best addon : skyblocks ;D

Quote Originally Posted by zeemeerman2 View Post
    This video by Zero Punctuation might be a good introduction:

This is pretty win.

Quote Originally Posted by KinectFAAST View Post
    I don't get it, is it just lego for adults?
    Yeah, but you're saying it wrong. It's not "just" lego for adults. It's OMFG LEGO FOR ADULTS!!!

A game is a game. Half the fun in playing the game is figuring out how to play! But seriously, if you take it at face value you may be deterred because of the judgment scale. If you take a look at the graphics and think to yourself how stupid they look, then yeah maybe you're looking at it all wrong. But If you get down to it and see that there is so much more possibility to what you can do in minecraft, you may find that it's not such a bad game.

Me, I use mods in Minecraft and these mods let me do all sorts of fun things that you couldn't normally do in the "vanilla" version of the game. Sometimes i use a bunch of mods all at once, that sometimes break the other mods as far as "fairness" goes. It devalues certain things. Regardless, I've been playing Minecraft since around Halloween of 2010 I believe it was and I have not stopped since

Lego for adults is my favorite analogy. The possibilities are seemingly infinite, but I must say, I am getting more and more pissed with the addition of half-assed content
    - Implementing a whole other dimension just for the sake of a boss fight? Why not use the Nether for that and increase the reasons for visiting it?!
    - CATS & WOLVES?!! I don't give a damn sh*t about stupid pets in this. I want its boundaries pushed! Kinda understand the bitterness of modders like the creator of BetterThanWolves.
    - Villages. Damn joke so far.

But, there are also great things.
    - The world is fun and never the same and its areas / themes are constantly improved and added. A jungle biom which looks awesome is about to be implemented.
    - Exploring tremendously huge caves is fun
    - You can build so much things with the existing blocks and physics. I once built a fully automated, maintenance-free subway system for my server
    - There are a lot of good mods and plugins which improve and extend those aspects of gameplay you prefer

I would like to see some more of the technical stuff explored and expanded....

You want more possibilities to convert items? Equivalent Exchange!
    You want to make little useful machines / production chains? IndustrialCraft 2 / Buildcraft!
    You want a more lively world? Millenaire!
    You want quarterable blocks and a neat electric circuits workover? Redpower2!

This goes on, just do not get packs like Technic Pack. Most mods in Minecraft do not like each other and the pack is just horribly inperformant imho.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

10+ Year Old Account
    To have fun with people. Duh!

yeah, legos for adults seems like a pretty awesome concept. it's one of those games that (even in its current state) still blurs the line between game and really threadbare and inaccurate simulator. my point is, if you approach it like a game you're going to find yourself at the bottom of a mineshaft covered in spider bites and being used as an arrow pincushion. if you play it as a creation simulator, you'll wind up at the bottom of a pit covered in lava and in sore need of a new interior designer.
    but if you approach it like a life simulator with grind/craft game mechanics, you'll get a flaming sword of arthropod bane, and that's pretty bloomin' sweet

10+ Year Old Account
    The short answer is that there's pretty much no real gameplay. Combat sucks, none of the monsters are a threat if you're not stupid, and the "boss fight" with the dragon in the End isn't difficult so much as just enormously tedious.

But it's fun to build shit. I like playing on peaceful and building all kinds of shit. There's a certain feeling of accomplishment to know you mined every single ingot required to make that 200 foot tall skyscraper or that 5 mile long railway.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    new just in -> all your bases now belong to the door destroying zombies who will now attack doors on hard difficulty.

-> new new jsut in using metal doors with switches foils zombies plans for world domination and they died in the sunlight.

-> on a another note watch out for skeleton snipers who hide under tree's in the daytime
    (<3 new ai that looks for shade/water away from sunlight to stop burning_ and posibly makes them Avoid LAVA instead of trying to walk through it)

Quote Originally Posted by Veliane View Post
    I think the single player game lacks though, I found myself a week later with all the best I could get inside a fort/mansion, bright enough that in the night it could be seen from the moon, with no enemy that could step in and no purpose whatsoever.

Then I dropped almost everything except a few tools/torches/buckets, put the dificulty at it's maximum and started 'travelling' building only at night.

Then I got bored and never played again.
    Pretty much sums up my Minecraft experience.

And I just dont feel like building stuff in the creative mode. I have never felt like wasting my time so much on any other computer game.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    new just in -> all your bases now belong to the door destroying zombies who will now attack doors on hard difficulty.

-> new new jsut in using metal doors with switches foils zombies plans for world domination and they died in the sunlight.

-> on a another note watch out for skeleton snipers who hide under tree's in the daytime
    (<3 new ai that looks for shade/water away from sunlight to stop burning_ and posibly makes them Avoid LAVA instead of trying to walk through it)
    I appreciate the effort they're going to, but they need to do a lot more than that. Every creature and player needs to have a defined attack animation so that blocking is possible and practical, and blocking should be required. Attacks should not cause knockback by default. Creepers should automatically detonate if they detect a player within X blocks, if something is in the way (like, say, a wall...), though that'd probably be reserved for Hard difficulty.

The biggest issue Minecraft faces right now is that there's not much actual gameplay to it because the combat is so fucking boring. Once you've got a full suit of iron armor and an iron sword, monsters really cease to be much of a threat. Once you're kitted out in diamonds, you're pretty much playing in god mode.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

*Looks at a game revolving around architecture and structure using properties and concepts that have been applied globally for millions of years*

Wtf is this??

*Looks at a game where goblins trade murloc eyes for gnoll snouts*

Now THIS I understand!