Rate this build

Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Black
    Corsair TX V2 650W PSU
    Intel® Core i5-2500K Processor
    MSI P67A-GD65 B3, Socket-1155
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
    Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX
    Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB

Gonna upgrade and I'm wondering what to buy. Is this build any good?

Considering to swap the 570 for a 560ti. I will mostly play WoW and maybe some bf3/mw3/skyrim/swtor, how does a 560ti handle this compared to a 570?
    Last edited by Imbashiethz; 2011-12-04 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbashiethz View Post
    Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Black
    Corsair TX V2 650W PSU
    Intel® Core i5-2500K Processor
    MSI P67A-GD65 B3, Socket-1155
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
    Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX
    Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB

Gonna upgrade and I'm wondering what to buy. Is this build any good?

Considering to swap the 570 for a 560ti. I will mostly play WoW and maybe some bf3/mw3/skyrim/swtor, how does a 560ti handle this compared to a 570?
    This is a great build. I don't care for the GD65 but its a good board. I mainly stick with Asus, and the Sabertooth is a good choice as well. The GTX 560ti is a better card in my opinion, you should consider a 60 or 120gb SSD for O/S drive.
    Last edited by Visioned; 2011-12-04 at 09:24 PM.

not sure about that MoBo, tbh. maybe jump to 8gb ram just for giggles. Not the biggest fan of seagate barracuda, but that is more personal choice.

Solid build... similar to mine 7/10

Graphics card is costly for the amount of oomph it gives. The chassi is unneccessary expensive, to me. I just picked a default one big enough to hold my components, with enough places to mount the cooling. But then again, some may want a looker. The rest seems fine though, even though I'd go with a Western Digital Caviar Black instead of the Seagate.

Also, concerning the 560Ti, it's what I use, and currently I run all games on ultra with good to awesome frame rates.

Deleted
    Build looks fine, despite people showing some apprehension towards the motherboard, I wouldn't be too concerned as it is a great board. It features Dual BIOS which is nice if some overclocking/BIOS flash results in your BIOS becoming corrupted, which allows you to restore the BIOS from the 2nd BIOS chip. Better than RMA'ing or buying a new board. Unfortunately MSI doesn't offer this on their cheaper boards, which is a shame because it's becoming a standard for many of the other mobo manufacturers. There is only one USB2 (and 1 USB3,) front panel connector though, so if you're looking at a case with 4 USB2 inputs on the front panel (such as the Corsair 600t,) you may want to consider another motherbaord (I mention this if your case choice is liable to change.) The CM690II Advanced only has 2 USB2 inputs though, so you're fine on that front.

The 570 is a good card, it's perhaps 20% more powerful than a 560Ti, to put a numerical figure on it. The real world difference this would bring you is that while the 560Ti can play most games on high/maximum settings, the frame rate can get choppy on more demanding games (BF3, The Witcher 2,) at maximum settings. The 570 should breeze through such titles at respectable framerates at maximum settings, and will do for a little while to come. This does come at a price premium vs the 560Ti of course, but if you have the budget for it then it's definitely a solid investment.

I'd bump the RAM up to 8gb as it's such a cheap commodity nowadays. If you're going to be running many applications at the same time you could see some discernible performance increase from it, anything over 8gb is a waste of money at this point in time for gaming though.

Other than that, the build looks really solid.
    If you're planning on overclocking, it could be worth picking up an aftermarket cooler though (Coolermaster Hyper 212 is good mid-low range, Noctua NH-D14 is a good high end one, for example.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nehran View Post
    *snip*
    If you're planning on overclocking, it could be worth picking up an aftermarket cooler though (Coolermaster Hyper 212 is good mid-low range, Noctua NH-D14 is a good high end one, for example.)
    Also keep the Silver Arrow in mind. It is as good or better than the NH-D14 in many circumstances.

I can also vouch for the GTX 570, as I have two of them. I don't think I would spring for the Gainward version, because I don't consider it worth the money over a reference design... unless you like to overclock your VGAs. The 570 is not a strong overclocker for the most part, but honestly it doesn't need it.

As for choosing between the 570 and 560ti... I am a bit biased, but even in the benchmarks I have seen of 560ti vs 570s, you get about the same spread as a 570 vs a 580. To get a 560ti to compete with a 570 takes some hellacious overclocking, and even then, don't forget that you can also OC the 570.

I would consider 8 GB of RAM, like several other people have commented. A SSD is cool, but it has next to zero effect on gaming, unless you have games installed on the drive, and that gets expensive quick.

I would also advise sticking with that case, despite what Edeen says. That is a fair price for a good case. With a 570 in the case, you will need something with decent cooling, and any case cheaper than that, or with less space for air is a waste of money and potential cause of damage to sensitive components. I am guessing you dislike the looks of the HAF cases? I really, really like those for air-cooled builds because of the space inside and the flow that they allow.