Deleted

2560 x 1440 supported by most games out of the box?

Does anybody have a screen with this res? I'm asking because I'm not in the mood to buy a high end monitor with this res, and found out i have to do alot of poking about in the .ini files to get the res, had enough of that with 5760x1080!

Does anybody know if most games support this out of the box, like say Skyrim / Fallout 3 - Vagus / MW3 ect.

if not i'll just stick with my o'l 1920x1080

Deleted
    Some games have problems with extreme aspect ratios out of the box, but standard aspect ratios will work just fine. I've had no problems whatsoever kicking in a 2560x1440 resolution on 10 year old (and even older) games; assuming they weren't hard-coded against specific resolutions. (such as Warcraft 3 or Diablo)

Keep in mind you'll require a somewhat decent GPU for the resolution - 2560x1440 is close to twice as demanding on the GPU, and the VRAM requirements increase considerably. Ideally, you should have 2GB of VRAM for newer titles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Some games have problems with extreme aspect ratios out of the box, but standard aspect ratios will work just fine.
    Just a little semantic detail - Aspect ratio refers to the actual ratio (or the smallest division of a resolution that keeps the same ratio), in this case it's 16:9 which is the most common widescreen aspect ratio. This could be considered an extreme resolution, but those two can be important to keep apart at times. Not trying to be a wisecrack or patronize you here, just wanted to clear that up.

Other than that, yeah most modern games should support it natively. Just make sure, as DarkXale said, that your GPU is up to snuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Keep in mind you'll require a somewhat decent GPU for the resolution
    But seeing you have GTX 580 SLI, you shouldn't have a problem

not to state the obvious, but who the hell would buy a 2560x1440 reso screen? If someone had money like that to spend on a screen, they would buy a 16/10 ratio screen for sure, as you gain allmost nothing from getting that 16/9 screen after 1080p.. Hollywood and the stupid 16/9 wins again i guess.. fml at still paying extra for getting something that we got as the normal product 5 years back

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    not to state the obvious, but who the hell would buy a 2560x1440 reso screen?
    They're the standard 27'' screen format.
    16:10 is present on 30'' panels.

In addition, at this price range - its not uncommon to use VESA mounts, which would allow turning that 16:9 monitor into a 9:16, providing ample vertical workspace. The horizontal workspace, as you are trying to claim, would not be of particular relevance.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-12-05 at 01:27 PM.