Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Think literally shields in WoW. With Absorption being Block Value, and Shield Chance being Block Chance.

At least that's my understanding.

And you gain the ability to equip shields if you pick any of the ACs that have a Tanking option.
    Last edited by Raeli; 2011-12-07 at 01:04 AM.

Yes, it's just a stat stick with no actual gameplay function in terms of activation/use.

Deleted
    Updated the compendium.

Updated areas:
    Stats and stat weights.
    Added new category: Gearing and Stat Ratings.
    Added new sub-category: Threat mechanics

Fixed spelling errors and clunky word areas.

Woke up at 4 AM this morning and couldn't sleep anymore.

I found this little shiny thing in the swtor_main_gamedata_1.tor file.

I'm still trying to crunch it, but it does give us a looksie into what mechanics that are behind the blade barrier.

If anyone has any inputs please do commit - since my head is on fire (not the good way ) at the moment.

[if anyone need it for calculations: your base health at level 50 is 2500]

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 09:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by harkonen View Post
    nice guide mate

one thing that confuses me, and a bit of a spoiler, so I will be a bit cryptic: That last companion is it right? seems very strange. Dont want to know any story but I am interested if you actually get him or its a mistake :O
    Its not a mistake. Remember you are a super awsome Jedi - Only Awesome Jedi's can turn people from the dark side.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 09:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    The droid that comes with your ship can be brought with you into combat. He is a healer and talks to much, I experimented with him a bit in beta.

The talent that affects force sweep is a 2 point talent, and at 2 points it's 10% chance to miss, up from 5% at 1 point.

Power definitely increases special abilities/force powers. In fact it almost seems to benefit them even more than your primary stats such as strength in the case of the guardian.

This was as a sith inquisitor rather than a jedi guardian, but I noticed equipping a light saber that had STRENGTH on it instead of CUNNING which was my primary stat as an inquisitor actually increased my damage and healing from all abilities simply because it had a higher power value. The amount of cunning lost was completely overcome by the additional power. I would assume the same is true for guardians, it seems to be a "catch-all" stat to ensure a higher level item is an upgrade even if it is poorly itemized.
    Think you confused Cunning with Willpower ?

The talent change you are talking about seems invalid, since I did not see it or haven't found that statement anywhere else. But I will go through the files today and see what factors the current gold version of the build has.

Power is definetly a powerful stat, I changed that aswell pretty fast, just had some last minute research to be done. There is actually several kind of "power" and i've yet to crunch them them properly/wait till someone else does it.

Until then the description will be a little vague.

Regarding the droid, it is maybe the thing i've tested the least. Companions was a fun factor, but since htey are not a part of end game I focused on more tanking matters.

Are you 100 % sure the ship droid can heal ? - then I will change it.
    Last edited by mmoc95544e94a1; 2011-12-07 at 08:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elobi, I made some cosmetic changes to your OP. Shrunk the picture as it wouldn't show on some resolutions and changed the color of your text to be easier on the eyes. Once again, great thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    Elobi, I made some cosmetic changes to your OP. Shrunk the picture as it wouldn't show on some resolutions and changed the color of your text to be easier on the eyes. Once again, great thread.
    Aw , great man ! was thinking about it myself. Thank you !

When you say:

Note:
    Swtor uses a two roll system for incoming attacks. The first roll will determine wether it is a hit or a miss, in a accuracy versus defense roll.
    if it is a hit then the next roll will determine wether the attack will be shielded or crit. It is done in a crit versus shield chance roll.

You can crit or shield, but there's also just normal hits, no?

So the first roll decides if you actually avoid the hit or if it lands, the second decides what type of hit, i.e if some is absorbed by the shield, or if it is a crit - I also presume that if it is neither a shielded or crit, then it is just a normal hit?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raeli View Post
    When you say:

Note:
    Swtor uses a two roll system for incoming attacks. The first roll will determine wether it is a hit or a miss, in a accuracy versus defense roll.
    if it is a hit then the next roll will determine wether the attack will be shielded or crit. It is done in a crit versus shield chance roll.

You can crit or shield, but there's also just normal hits, no?

So the first roll decides if you actually avoid the hit or if it lands, the second decides what type of hit, i.e if some is absorbed by the shield, or if it is a crit - I also presume that if it is neither a shielded or crit, then it is just a normal hit?

Yes, even though its not specified in th post directly by Mr. Zeoller here.

First is a hit roll, accuracy versus defense, and if the attacker misses then no damage occurs. If the attacker rolled poorly enough to miss even discounting the target's defense then a "Miss" result occurs. If he misses because of the defense then the result varies based on the attack type, the cover state of the target, and the target's equipped weapons. All the possible results - Dodge, Parry, Deflect, Resist, Cover - are mathematically the same, but they can trigger different effects and are visualized in different ways.

If the attacker hits, then a second roll is made with the crit chance of the attacker versus the shield chance of the target. If a Crit or a Shield occurs then the damage is adjusted up or down (based on Surge/Absorb), and then it goes through to the armor and damage resistance. A critical can never be shielded, and an attacker with a high enough crit chance can push the target's shield chance off the table. It shouldn't be possible to get your passive crit chance high enough to start pushing off the target's shield chance, but there are short-duration buffs that push these chances high enough to come into conflict.

The second roll determines wether it is shielded or not (in the shield vs crit scenario) - then it will do a RNG of doom to determine wether it is a critical or normal.

This is not in the compendium for easier understanding of the matter, since the sole purpose of it is to explain why shield glance is an important stat.

- Btw check out the ratings section, been working on it just for you xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elobi View Post
    I found this little shiny thing in the swtor_main_gamedata_1.tor file.
    Been sitting here looking at that picture for the past 10 minutes... It doesn't state specifically Blade Barrier but I did notice the effAction_AbsorbDamage note. Is that specifically for Blade Barrier? If so, how did you come to that? Or is that just a general "this is how abilities similar to Blade Barrier should work" comment?

Elobi, how long did it take to get your thread approved? I made a vengeance dps one and waiting on approval. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Elobi, how long did it take to get your thread approved? I made a vengeance dps one and waiting on approval. Thanks.
    Gotcha.

Gotcha.
    Thanks Buckwald Appreciate it.

Deleted
    Been sitting here looking at that picture for the past 10 minutes... It doesn't state specifically Blade Barrier but I did notice the effAction_AbsorbDamage note. Is that specifically for Blade Barrier? If so, how did you come to that? Or is that just a general "this is how abilities similar to Blade Barrier should work" comment?
    Yeah it is the specific nodes from the blade barrier ..

effAction is the action that is done when blade barrier is activated.

What im interested in finding is how much damage BB absorps - But still cant figure those numbers.

What I have deducted so far, without having any clue wether im right (since I cannot test it ingame while trying to calculate), is that it might be 1% of a min/max health ratio/formula..

But that is just pure speculation.

I datamined it from the assets (.TOR (swtor patch files))

Here is a pictures to give you a better idea.

If you want to take a look into the deep blue sea aswell - open any file in the assets folder and view it in Nodeviewer (downloadable via google search)

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 11:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Approved for what ? - I just posted it.

Edit: Ahh the sticky thingie. seems like u got it.

---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 04:15 PM ----------

Added new Sub-Section to Gearing and Stats: Pre-Raid BiS.
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-12-08 at 04:30 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ma mate Traces is working on a Trooper guide as we speak!

Yeah - good point - I will make a convertion section so it is viable for sith aswell.
    That is a good point. I should upload it as it is like 20 pages now but I still have finishing touches too put to it.

Awesome job Philip, really proud of the work you done bro.
    REPUBLIC
    <Insomnia> @ EU
    16-man Nightmare Raiding
    Ranged DPS and Healers needed

The talent that affects force sweep is a 2 point talent, and at 2 points it's 10% chance to miss, up from 5% at 1 point.
    Unless this got changed without me noticing, this is not true. It's 1 point for a 50% chance to have 5% miss and 2 points for 100% chance for 5% miss. I didn't look at it closely on the last build to see if it changed, but I saw no note that it did.

And I really hope they change Cyclone Slash for live. It's really terrible for tanking in its current implementation. Mobs do the same thing in SWTOR as in WoW where they try to not overlap each other, so on big pulls they'll spread around you and with Cyclone's tiny cone you end up hitting like 1 or 2 mobs out of them all for pitiful damage.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2011-12-09 at 08:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Unless this got changed without me noticing, this is not true. It's 1 point for a 50% chance to have 5% miss and 2 points for 100% chance for 5% miss. I didn't look at it closely on the last build to see if it changed, but I saw no note that it did.

And I really hope they change Cyclone Slash for live. It's really terrible for tanking in its current implementation. Mobs do the same thing in SWTOR as in WoW where they try to not overlap each other, so on big pulls they'll spread around you and with Cyclone's tiny cone you end up hitting like 1 or 2 mobs out of them all for pitiful damage.
    I didnt write that did i ?

And yeah, you need to position yourself like a champ to make cyclone work, it does loook nice when it works.

I didnt write that did i ?
    Sorry, quote fail on my part, Dasani said that.

very very good one here :P I mean excellent.

btw how is the leveling as a tank?does it take too long to kill mobs in compare of a dps class?I would like to make some flashpoints as a tank while leveling but because of the lack of the dual spec at launch I also want to level up as smooth as I can and not to strangle :P
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Awesome info, as a JK G: D main, tyvm! The talent build link doesn't work though...

thanks for the guide ^^ resumed about evraything usefull but is there a proffession that is good for tanks? in beta i did not realy had time to look in the skilltrades ;/

For a Jedi Knight/guardian the professions that are recomending are Artifice/Archaeology/Treasure Hunting.. although I think that Biochem(alchemy)/Bioanalysis/Diplomacy will be nice option too..

a nice guide about professions is here http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/crafting-guide/
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.