10+ Year Old Account

The Defense Authorization Act: Goodbye Bill of Rights

I'm not usually speechless but this had me stuttering out of disbelief and then sputtering out of rage. Looks like I'm going to have to step up my plans to get the hell out of the US. Anyways, everybody should at least know about this even if you see it as justified. If you do please feel free to tell me how this could possibly be reasonable. I'm hoping that this is just a misunderstanding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45503669#.TtzymWNFudA

There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it.
    I am beyond your comprehension. I am Sovereign!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindrin View Post
    I'm not usually speechless but this had me stuttering out of disbelief and then sputtering out of rage. Looks like I'm going to have to step up my plans to get the hell out of the US. Anyways, everybody should at least know about this even if you see it as justified. If you do please feel free to tell me how this could possibly be reasonable. I'm hoping that this is just a misunderstanding.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45503669#.TtzymWNFudA
    Whilst I personally don't agree with the bill, even I, as a foreigner, know that the bill isn't the evil dictator government enabler than people think it is. It doesn't allow them to arrest American citizens without trial. Everyone else is free game however, which irks me slightly, as that blatantly defies the bill of human rights; being an American doesn't make your rights worth more than anyone else's.

Edit: Going to edit this incase anyone takes offense at the last sentence; that wasn't a dig at anyone American, It was just me saying, well, a fact. I do not mean to imply that (possible) offended person views it that way.

However, if you are offended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9HRLvfbauA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Whilst I personally don't agree with the bill, even I, as a foreigner, know that the bill isn't the evil dictator government enabler than people think it is. It doesn't allow them to arrest American citizens without trial. Everyone else is free game however, which irks me slightly, as that blatantly defies the bill of human rights; being an American doesn't make your rights worth more than anyone else's.
    Indeed, anything sentient should fall under the bill of rights. What defines sentient is a matter for another thread, however. Towards the end of the document it says that it can apply to Americans "if we want it to." Anybody they feel is a terrorist conspirator can fall under this bill. There's never actually been any formal solid definition of what a terrorist is. A terrorist could be somebody who simply speaks out against the government. So really, yea. It is an evil dictator government enabler.

Edit: I love that clip btw.

There is a realm of existence so far beyond your own you cannot even imagine it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post

Edit: Going to edit this incase anyone takes offense at the last sentence; that wasn't a dig at anyone American, It was just me saying, well, a fact. I do not mean to imply that (possible) offended person views it that way.

However, if you are offended: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9HRLvfbauA
    It begins somewhere. Where do you set the limit? When do you put your foot down? How many rights and liberties will you think is alright to be completely ignored by the government before you say no? Not until it's yours personally. But try asking the people that this will directly affect and see how they feel about it.
    The step for when it starts to include more people is a string of hair away.
    Definitions are kept iffy as fuck, just so they can do lots of shifty stuff with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    It begins somewhere. Where do you set the limit? When do you put your foot down? How many rights and liberties will you think is alright to be completely ignored by the government before you say no? Not until it's yours personally. But try asking the people that this will directly affect and see how they feel about it.
    The step for when it starts to include more people is a string of hair away.
    You misunderstand, I completely oppose the bill, but I have no say in America politics. However, this current bill is not the great evil people are making it out to be, so I just point that out. I still do not believe it should be allowed past the Supreme Court however.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    McCarthyism was not pretty.
    /tinfoilhat
    Is it really a conspiracy theory when there's solid evidence?