Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I preordered through Best Buy, how will early game access work?

Months ago I preorded through Best Buy, I was only allowed to put down 5 dollars on the preorder.

I plan to pay for the rest with a gift card. how will this work with early game access?

Were you not given a pre-order code on your receipt? That you had to register on www.swtor.com on your personal account.

That is what determined your early access (when you registered the code).

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Were you not given a pre-order code on your receipt? That you had to register on www.swtor.com on your personal account.

That is what determined your early access (when you registered the code).
    i did register my preorder. and i received the crystal
    i never received an early access code

10+ Year Old Account
    Your preoder is your early access code

Quote Originally Posted by vazar_da_priest View Post
    i did register my preorder. and i received the crystal
    i never received an early access code
    Registering your preorder was registering for early access .. ie DFGH-3252-DFGD-2356 might be a code, etc...

log onto www.swtor.com and under account setup --> preorder, click <download client> .. run the client, wait for the download to finish and all the patches to update your software, then wait for an email saying when you can log on.

The preorder code is the eary access code as far as I understand it. Since you had to preorder to get eary access and the crystal.

so basically, if you preordered, and registered your preorder, you'll probably get into early access? (regardless if youve bought the entire game yet)

so basically, if you preordered, and registered your preorder, you'll probably get into early access? (regardless if youve bought the entire game yet)
    Correct .. to play after the early access period, you need to enter the KEY from either a box version or one Origin sends you from a digital version. (might be a short grace period to allow retail boxes to ship to someones home, those who bought from Amazon)

At some point, without a KEY, you can't log on anymore.

To get the KEY you need to pay the rest of the amount due to the vendor (ie pay the remaining $45 and get a retail box in return). the $5 is just a down payment to show your sincerity to Best Buy.

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe so.
    But I heard some rumors that ppl who "attached" their preorder keys to their accounts earlier than people who bought(for example) yesterday, get early access faster. But who knows. Maybe Rng, maybe the first ones who bought the game will go first, maybe not. I can cross my fingers to be supermegafirst
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by salate View Post
    I believe so.
    But I heard some rumors that ppl who "attached" their preorder keys to their accounts earlier than people who bought(for example) yesterday, get early access faster. But who knows. Maybe Rng, maybe the first ones who bought the game will go first, maybe not. I can cross my fingers to be supermegafirst
    It is first come first serve. I registered my code back in July. It doesn't matter if it was the CE or digital copy... all that matters is when you registered. I'm just going to say, if you registered your code back in November you probably won't get Early Access. They are doing Early Access to ease the stress on the servers by sending in waves of players every 24 hours for 5 days. Almost 1,000,000 people have preordered SWTOR, so I HIGHLY doubt that many people would be getting access. Like I said, its to have minimum stress on servers at a single point in time (I.E. launch day).

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    It is first come first serve. I registered my code back in July. It doesn't matter if it was the CE or digital copy... all that matters is when you registered. I'm just going to say, if you registered your code back in November you probably won't get Early Access. They are doing Early Access to ease the stress on the servers by sending in waves of players every 24 hours for 5 days. Almost 1,000,000 people have preordered SWTOR, so I HIGHLY doubt that many people would be getting access. Like I said, its to have minimum stress on servers at a single point in time (I.E. launch day).
    I have a suspicion that the extra 2 days were slapped on to accommodate everyone who preordered into Early Access, namely because people were questioning why the main TOR webpage was still advertising Early Access if it might not actually be happening for those just ordering.

I'd imagine Early Access would still happen for recent orders, just not the full 7 days, as they slowly put more servers online... even if it's only 3 days, it's nice to have the weekend to play.

I do think they have said that all preorders get early access, it may end up being like 1 day early for the more recent preorders. This may change once early access starts though, or it may even change tomorrow and they say no more early access codes will be accepted.
    But as of now im pretty sure that if you have preordered and have entered your code, you get early access, how much early is yet to be seen.

They should allow 24 hour grace period for those who have to wait for their game to come from Fed-Ex/UPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gxeternal View Post
    I do think they have said that all preorders get early access, it may end up being like 1 day early for the more recent preorders. This may change once early access starts though, or it may even change tomorrow and they say no more early access codes will be accepted.
    But as of now im pretty sure that if you have preordered and have entered your code, you get early access, how much early is yet to be seen.
    Nope, they said Early Access is a perk and cannot be guaranteed. However, you are right that things may change. Just a day ago they were claiming it started on the 15th. Hell, a few months ago CEs had GUARANTEED 6 day early access before they changed it less than 12 hours after it was announced. Everything is subject to change with Bioware. Their Community Management skills is horrid. Giving information to the public is something they need to work on or else they'll end up just like Blizzard, except with better customer support.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 11:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post
    They should allow 24 hour grace period for those who have to wait for their game to come from Fed-Ex/UPS.
    I think its actually longer than that. They said there is a grace period if you have Early Access. You can still play but only for a short while before needing the code. Probably 1-2 days (exact number hasn't been stated).

I think its actually longer than that. They said there is a grace period if you have Early Access. You can still play but only for a short while before needing the code. Probably 1-2 days (exact number hasn't been stated).
    They said No grace period 8/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post
    They said No grace period 8/
    They also said grace period before... They change things too often...

This is incorrect. Everyone who pre-orders the game, gets at least 1 day of early access. Even if you pre-order today, just don't forget to put in your code.

Big ole negative, they never put up a blue post on that, or anything to the effect...

Quote Originally Posted by mordredz View Post
    Big ole negative, they never put up a blue post on that, or anything to the effect...
    SWTOR is down atm, but here is a cached version:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance