Deleted

980m and ultra settings in WoW

Hey. I have a laptop with a 980m and a I7-4710HQ. I have tried to run WoW on everything on ultra even in advanced graphics. I run it in windowed fullscreen.

In my garrison i get like 25-35 FPS. Is that normal for a 980m? I know WoW is poorly optimized but i am just unsure about what my GPU should be able to achieve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpolomo View Post
    Hey. I have a laptop with a 980m and a I7-4710HQ. I have tried to run WoW on everything on ultra even in advanced graphics. I run it in windowed fullscreen.

In my garrison i get like 25-35 FPS. Is that normal for a 980m? I know WoW is poorly optimized but i am just unsure about what my GPU should be able to achieve.
    Uncap the processors energy access or whatever. It's capped by default. I have the same laptop and I had the same problem in games, turned out to be an issue with the energy management or whatever to say.

Make sure it's using the 980m as well. It could be running on your motherboard graphic card.

Deleted
    The Solution for this is easy , just go to your wow Settings , the window Mode fps is capped there to 30 just turn it back to 60 or whatever u want

15+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't make any sense as my 970 runs ultra at 120+ fps except raids and garrison.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    That doesn't make any sense as my 970 runs ultra at 120+ fps except raids and garrison.
    Sigh... just trying to get your post count up or really don't know what you are talking about?

On topic..
    Make sure you are set to high performance in the power setting from the control panel
    Also check the Nvidia control panel and you should have a dropdown menu for selecting which graphics card you want to use.

Make sure you're running the correct power mode for your laptop when plugged in. Check what display device you're using (make sure you're using the 980m and not onboard). Make sure your anti aliasing settings are set correctly.

Also check what your foreground FPS cap is set to in wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    GeForce GTX 980M is slower than GeForce GTX 970

Although a GTX980M isn't a GTX980 it shouldn't be having that much issue with it. Check foreground fps and anti aliasing aswell as which GPU you're using and should be golden.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Problem is, you're toying around with the settings too much.
    Press "Recommended". Now put it on "Ultra". And leave it like that. Don't bother with all the fancy settings unless you know what it does, much of it is not working.

I have a Laptop with the same specs, it gets 40-50 ish in the garrison. More than that, don't bother. And yes, dipping to 30 is normal.
    Blizzards Garrison server is like multiple servers within a server.

Deleted
    WoW is all about CPU and Laptops are NOT made for Gaming. If you want to run WoW on Ultra in 60FPS you want a CPU with a high Coreclock like a 4690K/4790K OC'ed to 4.5GHz.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would check your bios to make sure certain CPU restrictions are not enabled. A lot of laptops come with stupid crap enabled. Examples below to check:

Multicore support = There all worded diff, but make sure all your cores are on all the time
    Intel Speedstep = disabling this will make your cores run 100% all the time, which helps with......everything

Little things like these, they are all different from laptop to laptop and bios to bios, but defiantly check it out. WoW chows down on your CPU like nothing else, so it will usually always be your bottleneck, sure a nice GPU helps, but the bottleneck is usually the CPU. My CPU is sitting overclocked at 4.9Ghz, added some 980ti's and it had very little effect on warcraft (But I didnt buy them for wow), adding WoW to one of my SSD'd made a bigger difference than massive GPU's TBH :/

The "Bottleneck" of your System is the CPU, not the GPU. So like others said, check your energy management settings if there is something throttling your CPU.

Deleted
    I allready gave him the right Solution , he mentioned that he tried diffrent settings , since he hasnt replied yet i think the Problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpolomo View Post

If someone hasnt told ya, remove anti-alising completely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadley-II View Post
    WoW is all about CPU and Laptops are NOT made for Gaming. If you want to run WoW on Ultra in 60FPS you want a CPU with a high Coreclock like a 4690K/4790K OC'ed to 4.5GHz.
    Utter crap, keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself.

It will be the power setting like which has been said.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a laptop right? They get hot and when CPUs get hot they will down clock the CPU to prevent damage. Check your temp with HWMonitor for both CPU and GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    Utter crap, keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself.

It will be the power setting like which has been said.
    not utter crap. There is some truth to it. WoW is more dependent on CPU than GPU. This is a well known fact. Laptop CPUs simply are not as strong as desktop CPUs. Laptops also have tendency to overheat, somewhat quickly sometimes, which causes CPU throttling. Only time this typically happens in Desktops is on OCs with not enough cooling, thermal paste drying out in improperly applied and dust build up.

That is not to say that you can not find a laptop that will play WoW well. I had a kinda crappy Dell laptop that I got a hell of a deal on and it can play WoW fairly well. Not pushing Ultra or anything, but it was playable. I sold it to a friend of mine as I no longer needed it. While he was waiting on his RMA on his RAM from his desktop, he was able to play just fine. Now granted, he doesn't do mythic raiding or anything, but he was fine in LFR.

Deleted
    Get MSI Afterburner + Riva Tuner.
    Check your FPS + GPU Clock + GPU Temp and GPU Usage ingame.
    If the GPU usage is below 99% its a CPU bottleneck (unless you are using vsync or the game engine is limiting the fps)

My guess: It's probably a CPU bottleneck. The 980m should be strong enough.
    Your CPU is able to be overclocked by 200Mhz on all cores with Intel XTU.