Deleted

Canada border control

Hello there!

I just have a few questions for those that live in Canada, or for those abroad that travel alot to Canada ( not citizens of Canada ).
    So, I'm going in to days from Venice to London, waiting there for the flight to Vancouver. Since my country is in the EU, that's easy.

I am visiting Canada for Christmas holidays, but will stay till around 20-25 of January 2012.
    I have bought my plane ticket really cheap with Air Transat, like 300$, but it's only 1-way. That's why it was cheap.

So my question is, is the border control strict in Canada ( cause I hear in America they are more then in most other places ), so...

Will I have problems if I don't have an away ticket?
    Will they question me alot consorning this matter?
    Do they check your bags really strictly ( in detail * I have only a few gifts for friends )?
    I talked to the immigration office, and said in not having a ticket away matter, just to satisfy the officer, with some documents of you having a job and everything setra setra...I have the document.
    Do you know anyone that has been declined entry in this holiday season or in general?
    Will everything be ok?

I'm only having 2 bags, my clothes in 1 and other gifts for Christmas, like parfume, chocolate, teddy bear and stuff.
    Nothing special or weird.

I would really apriciate your response, since is my first time flying over seas to North America.

Thank you for your answers!

15+ Year Old Account
    Your best bet is to check out the Canada Customs website here: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ifvc-rpvc-eng.html

It should answer any questions that you have. Our laws are fairly similar to entry into the United States. Usually, common sense with a little planning will see your visit go off without a hitch.

Welcome to my country and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Deleted
    Thank you for that.

I saw this site before, since I submitted for a Working Holiday Visa. The first Embassy approved it, and send it to another, so they make the final call.
    I don't a Visa to enter from my country, just ID.

But, I am more looking for personal experience with these things, dealing with officers, are they harsh, strict, need alot of info...

Thank you !

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prbitk View Post
    But, I am more looking for personal experience with these things, dealing with officers, are they harsh, strict, need alot of info...

Thank you !
    I don't know. As a citizen I probably wouldn't be scrutinized as much as an outsider. I imagine if you follow all the rules put forth by our customs agency you'll be more than fine. Friendly country here.

I currently live/study in vancouver but im from the UK, prior to this I travelled to canada quite alot and I think it comes down to this:

how old are you? and for what reason are you visiting?

My first time travelling to canada I was flying alone and I was only 18 at the time, and in that case immigration were really strict with me. They kept me there for 2 hours trying to figure out what I was doing there on my own at that age

Having a 1 way ticket is not a problem, I know many people that fly with a 1 way and buy the return while in the new country. However, they will ask you about it, and you better be able to show that you have the ability/funds to return home

Out of all the countries Ive flown to I find canadian immigration to be the strictest, but its still not terribly strict. The younger you are the more you should have on you to prove things like where you're going (address/phone number of people youre visiting) and how you're going to get home (return ticket or proof of a job, credit card)

PM me if you have any specific questions

Deleted
    Hey, I saw your reply thx!

Well, I'm 20, turning 21 on the 27th of December.
    I'm from Slovenia, and flying from Venice to London, and then form there to Vancouver.

I'm just visiting for Christmas holidays, New year, and a little beyond. Planning to go back home around 20th+ January, for my job.

I have a job document stating I have winter off due to type of work ( I'm a landsurveyor ). A statement from my boss.
    And got copies of airline that prooves that 1-way ticket back is really cheap ( 290+ mostly ) and will have them with me just in case.

Just mostly visiting friends in holidays. Did the officer question you alot, and took you in there office ?

And they let you in in the end?

( cant send PMs due to posts :P )
    Thanks!

You are required to bring one bottle of maple syrup and 1 pack of bacon to be allowed access into Canada.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoloft View Post
    You are required to bring one bottle of maple syrup and 1 pack of bacon to be allowed access into Canada.
    No dice. We don't want outsider crap maple syrup and bacon here. We've got the motherload primed and ready for consumption already.

Yes the officer questioned me ALOT, they took me from the immigration hall to a different place where all the questionable people go and I stayed there for a couple of hours. Your situation is better than mine because 1) youre older than I was and 2) you have an income

If you have documents saying that 1) you have a job and 2) you were actually given time off from work then you should be more than fine

I would say, if you want to be extra sure, have the phone numbers and addresses of the friends youre staying with, incase they want to verify that thats actually why you're there, but this is unlikely, it doesnt hurt to have it handy tho

bottom line: you should be fine

ps. my experience was in toronto, vancouver immigration officers are nicer

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prbitk View Post
    Hello there!

I just have a few questions for those that live in Canada, or for those abroad that travel alot to Canada ( not citizens of Canada ).
    So, I'm going in to days from Venice to London, waiting there for the flight to Vancouver. Since my country is in the EU, that's easy.

I am visiting Canada for Christmas holidays, but will stay till around 20-25 of January 2012.
    I have bought my plane ticket really cheap with Air Transat, like 300$, but it's only 1-way. That's why it was cheap.

So my question is, is the border control strict in Canada ( cause I hear in America they are more then in most other places ), so...

Will I have problems if I don't have an away ticket?
    Will they question me alot consorning this matter?
    Do they check your bags really strictly ( in detail * I have only a few gifts for friends )?
    I talked to the immigration office, and said in not having a ticket away matter, just to satisfy the officer, with some documents of you having a job and everything setra setra...I have the document.
    Do you know anyone that has been declined entry in this holiday season or in general?
    Will everything be ok?

I'm only having 2 bags, my clothes in 1 and other gifts for Christmas, like parfume, chocolate, teddy bear and stuff.
    Nothing special or weird.

I would really apriciate your response, since is my first time flying over seas to North America.

Thank you for your answers!
    youre good.

they however will not let you in unless you have large jingle bells attached to your bag, they are used to scare away the polar bears.
    Also, you must buy at least $50 of maple syrup and a pet beaver in order to leave the country (this requirement is waved if you build an igloo for the homeless)

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    No dice. We don't want outsider crap maple syrup and bacon here. We've got the motherload primed and ready for consumption already.
    Well, we can't have them amuricans having better Maple Syrup then us, so we have to get someone from the inside to bring it in so we can make sure ours is the best of the best. And if by some sheer stroke of luck they have better maple syrup we need to duplicate it and sell it as our own.

Also, amuuuuuurican beer sucks ass, I have no idea why we still ask for them to bring it up with them.

I drove in from Alaska and it was way easier than I expected. Looked at my passport, asked me where I was going, couple other questions and told me to have a nice day. But I assume that me having a car was good enough means to leave the country, That's the only thing I'd imagine you'd have trouble with.

Have fun, Vancouver is one of the absolute prettiest cities I've ever been to.

I speak from personal experience. Getting back into America from Canada is not a fun time if you're not a white American. I went up to Vancouver with a Filipino buddy of mine, and because of that we got detained for 3 hours. And guess what? In the detaining room was a black couple, muslim family, 2 french girls that can't speak english, and an asian couple. Yeah, shit's pretty lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwntatoes View Post
    I told my friend I was going to McDonalds, but I actually went to Burger King. Kind of rude, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by synthetikv View Post
    Bring her some ribbon candy and worthers original. Old Bitches love ribbon candy and worthers original.

It's not SO laid back that they just wave you through if that's what your asking. They check your luggage properly, there are metal detectors, and they don't allow liquids above a certain volume or lighters on board (among many othe safety rules you must abide by concerning various things). It's not a major hassle but it's certainly professional.

If you're THAT concerned about it though I can't help by wonder why...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoloft View Post
    Well, we can't have them amuricans having better Maple Syrup then us, so we have to get someone from the inside to bring it in so we can make sure ours is the best of the best. And if by some sheer stroke of luck they have better maple syrup we need to duplicate it and sell it as our own.

Also, amuuuuuurican beer sucks ass, I have no idea why we still ask for them to bring it up with them.
    Because its cheap... the cheaper it is, the more you can buy, the drunker you can get.

Side Note.... Sam Adams is pretty good.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.