Poll: Do you want an achievement system in SWTOR?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Is SW:TOR missing an achievement system?

I'm one of those sad players who loves the concept of achievements; even if it just gives me something to do outside the normal gameplay. I know the game has 'codexes' now, but they hardly are the same thing, it's just like recovering a piece of text. I've played about 70-80 hours total in 3 different beta weekends and I absolutely love the game. But if there's one thing I'd like them to add later on it's an achievement system.

So what do you think?

Deleted
    Dunno, I'd rather discover some piece of text with some lore in it, than an achievement with some nothing in it. :|

Deleted
    I see the Codex system as a sort of achievement system. You get new interesting and actually helpful entries on your road. As far as I know there are also nightmare mode specific codex entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaswarrior View Post
    Dunno, I'd rather discover some piece of text with some lore in it, than an achievement with some nothing in it. :|
    I wasn't implying one or the other. It was merely a comparison to what's already in the game, an achievement system can perfectly well exist next to the current Codex system.

There is already achievements confirmed in the game, so the poll is pointless

Here's the quote from David Bass:
    Achievements are indeed in the game currently. You'll receive achievements for things like killing certain "Epic Enemies," unlocking titles, and accomplishing objectives in PvP. These are all kept in a special category in your Codex, so that you can view how you earned each one at any time.

There's going to be an achievement system in launch, as far as I'm aware. They just couldn't get it on the beta to be tested.

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    There is already achievements confirmed in the game, so the poll is pointless

Here's the quote from David Bass:
    Hmm, not sure how I missed that - I didn't find such a system. Perhaps I should change the question to 'more extensive' achievement system then, as after having leveled up to 30 I didn't notice a single one. But perhaps that will come with time, or their design choice is to only make meaningful achievements. Or do they just look the same when you 'discover' a codex?

Not a big fan of achivement system because they are often filled with meaningless "pat on the back" achivements. As long as the achivements are for hard/special stuff I think it's fine, it'd aslo be cool if they rewarded you with vanity rewards.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

idont really care i was never one for going chasing them but on the other hand i did like to get important raid achivements other wise i wouldnt be allowed in pugs

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Hmm, not sure how I missed that - I didn't find such a system. Perhaps I should change the question to 'more extensive' achievement system then, as after having leveled up to 30 I didn't notice a single one. But perhaps that will come with time, or their design choice is to only make meaningful achievements. Or do they just look the same when you 'discover' a codex?
    The achievement system is endeed the Codex system. And to me it is perfectly fine. I don't need avhievements where you kill a boss half naked, doing a little dance while farting in the right direction. I'm perfectly happy that these "achievements" are couple up with tons of lore.

This is not meant to be rude, but I would hate it if they adopt stupid achievements from WoW like fall x meters without dying or something similar.

Maybe - if they do ...

Not sure I'll even buy it yet but if I do end up playing it, as long as the achievement system isn't paded with to many pointless things. NEVER altered, ever, with that I mean like Blizzard does and removes some achieves that don't fit them or the game any more, and most important timely removal of the ability to gain certain achievements such as raid achieves and anything similar that you can go back and make trivial when it's not current any more.

Then I'd be happy with it, an achievement system should be a historical story about your character, not a filler masked as content.

Deleted
    It's in there, it's just not point based, as far as I could see.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    It's in there, it's just not point based, as far as I could see.
    I've always enjoyed the achievement system as it is in WoW and Rift, also Steam has the fun addition of achievements for most of their games. I am certainly well aware that it doesn't cater to everyone; but I certainly enjoy hunting after those points

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Maybe - if they do ...

Not sure I'll even buy it yet but if I do end up playing it, as long as the achievement system isn't paded with to many pointless things. NEVER altered, ever, with that I mean like Blizzard does and removes some achieves that don't fit them or the game any more, and most important timely removal of the ability to gain certain achievements such as raid achieves and anything similar that you can go back and make trivial when it's not current any more.

Then I'd be happy with it, an achievement system should be a historical story about your character, not a filler masked as content.
    A bit confused by this post, so I'm hoping for some clarity.

Are you saying you want an achievement system that is never altered, so you are ALWAYS able to get every achievement... But you also want old raid achievements removed, so you can only get them while the raids are current and relevant? So people cannot outlevel the raids and faceroll the old achievements?

Isn't that a bit contradictory? Of course, I may have misunderstood you...

Deleted
    I never cared about them, so I would rather they focussed on other things.

Currently I'm sitting right under 12k achieves on my main in wow. I really enjoy hunting after them and I voted yes. Would be nice to have another timesink in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    A bit confused by this post, so I'm hoping for some clarity.

Are you saying you want an achievement system that is never altered, so you are ALWAYS able to get every achievement... But you also want old raid achievements removed, so you can only get them while the raids are current and relevant? So people cannot outlevel the raids and faceroll the old achievements?

Isn't that a bit contradictory? Of course, I may have misunderstood you...
    You misunderstood, perhaps I should have said never altered retroactively, Blizzard has on several occasions removed achievements that didn't work with mechanic changes and similar, and not replaced with FoS, just removed. They have also over time changed mechanics and or drops to make it easier to gain certain achieves which I would include in the altered retroactively part.

Basically either you achieve what is required to get it or you don't, no help should be given, and either you do it when it's current or you don't, shouldn't be given 'extra' time for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by wg15 View Post
    To be a complete WoW clone? Yes. For the game itself. Maybe. Tend to no.

wrong, they never removed a Achievement completely, if you had it before it became a FoS
    You have the link to my character, come back when you find the achieve to kill all of the faction champions in ToC within X time of each other (there is a few more can't remember them specifically now though), I'll be here waiting.

I cursed the guy who introduced this crap in WoW, loggin in getting achieves for learning tradeskills and a load of other pointless rubbish, but especially the scrubs who used to spam groups, looking for healer for x need achievements in trade channel, so yea I hope this doesn't come to TOR

I would like to see something similar to what Blizzard did with the Achievement mounts.