Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[TV] Mythbusters myth goes wrong.

http://en.terra.com/latin-in-america..._home/hof17293

The lovable 'MythBusters' pair, Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, and their team may have miscalculated their latest cannonball experiment by several yards in Dublin, California. Find out how their dabble in science took a turn for the worse.
    'MythBusters' is well known for their fun, informative way of eliminating doubt from our minds on certain topics that trouble everyday people. Sometimes the team is surprised by their results, other times their experiments follow through with their predictions.

On Tuesday, December 6, 2011, the 'MythBusters' crew retweeted a post by host Grant Imahara that showed a photo with this caption: 'Today we're working with heavy artillery. #fromset #MythBusters.' Little did they know that just hours later that tweet and the attached photo would be deleted due to a controversy.

According to reports, the show built their very own cannon and were attempting to shoot cannonballs through several barrels of water and then threw a concrete wall near Santa Rita Jail near Dublin, CA. The cannon was fired over 50 times with no incident.

During one of the shots, the cannon misfired and the cannonball whizzed passed the barrels, through the concrete wall, bounced, and flew straight into a nearby home. The cannonball blew through one side of the house and then out another side, bounced again, and crashed through a minivan and where it came to rest.

Individuals at the wrecked home were a sleep and no one was near the minivan during the incident. The show plans to pay for the damage caused by the cannon.

I'm laughed just picturing the guys faces as they see it take off.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see the video of this someday lol. That's pretty damn fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    holy shazam! That really sucks. I like those guys a lot, but irresponsible is irresponsible, and someone is gonna have to own up to the mistake. Im thankful no one was hurt in the incident
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

That's so fake. I can't believe anyone think it's true.

We should get mythbusters to test it...

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orodoth View Post
    holy shazam! That really sucks. I like those guys a lot, but irresponsible is irresponsible, and someone is gonna have to own up to the mistake. Im thankful no one was hurt in the incident
    Your right, Irresponsible is irresponsible, not sure what thats got to do with this though, as noone was being irresponsible, fired over 50times without incident, and it went wrong once, Plus they take into account so many variables to make sure people are safe, they wouldnt be able to be irresponsible with the things they work with=)

OT i hope to see this one day too in an ep

Well i wish it flew into my house, without hurting me ofc. Then i could get big bucks from them

10+ Year Old Account
    What? These guys have to take every precaution necessary in order to be insured and to run the show. Sometimes things just go wrong regardless of how many precautions you may take.

These guys out of all people are far from irresponsible and the fact that stuff like this happens so little is impressive.

Moral of the story is shit happens but I wouldn't start calling any of them irresponsible.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    What? These guys have to take every precaution necessary in order to be insured and to run the show. Sometimes things just go wrong regardless of how many precautions you may take.

These guys out of all people are far from irresponsible and the fact that stuff like this happens so little is impressive.

Moral of the story is shit happens but I wouldn't start calling any of them irresponsible.
    Yep. Unfortunately for many people, if something bad happens, there has to be someone to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe2 View Post
    Yep. Unfortunately for many people, if something bad happens, there has to be someone to blame.
    There is someone to blame, it's simply not because they were irresponsible. It was an accident.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

If they're paying for it and taking care of the damages, then they're owning up to it. They have insurance for a reason. I'm really glad no one was hurt, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Your right, Irresponsible is irresponsible, not sure what thats got to do with this though, as noone was being irresponsible
    Fired anywhere where it can go somewhere like that is being incredibly irresponsible. Why do you think military firing ranges for anything heavier than an assault rifle are built far away from everywhere, given a danger zone, aimed to a specific direction with walls of earth so huge you could fire blindly and it'd still be impossible to miss behind the targets?
    Home-made cannon, alright, don't know the specifications for their model, but at bare minimun it would have required a near unmissable stopper capable of absorbing the shot with ease and a cone of "no-one is there" size of more than approximated max range to be anywhere near responsible.

But we don't know them, love them and watch them thanks to their responsible behaviour, do we? =P

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 11:15 PM ----------

Now, looking at the satellite images, that's a lousy place for a bomb range, and if it is really aimed at the direction their misfire fired... that's just horrid design. Quite effective for a hommemade artillery piece, though.

If I were the home owner my response would be.. "One night with Kari and all is forgiven"

15+ Year Old Account
    They're lucky no one got hurt or killed. It probably would have ended the show for good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post

Your right, Irresponsible is irresponsible, not sure what thats got to do with this though, as noone was being irresponsible, fired over 50times without incident, and it went wrong once, Plus they take into account so many variables to make sure people are safe, they wouldnt be able to be irresponsible with the things they work with=)

OT i hope to see this one day too in an ep
    O...k...? They have performed hundreds, if not thousands of projectile tests. Someone, somewhere, fudged this time. Its as simple as that. We are talking about a live cannon ball (we saw the destruction), and it was being fired at some barrels of water. A nice wall of sand bags or something behind them could have prevented this. Its not like they go without funding and man power; sand and burlap sacks would cost next to nothing compared to the materials for a cannon. Please, both of you, don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. They under-estimated the raw power of their toy, and had an accident. I'm not knocking the guys here, I think they are great. And hell, for all we know, they weren't even the ones doing the math. ( I know, they are experts of their trade, but still, its a valid point. We dont know everything that goes on behind the scenes there.

I also believe, that if someone had of been hurt or killed, the both of you would be singing a different tune.

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Fired anywhere where it can go somewhere like that is being incredibly irresponsible. Why do you think military firing ranges for anything heavier than an assault rifle are built far away from everywhere, given a danger zone, aimed to a specific direction with walls of earth so huge you could fire blindly and it'd still be impossible to miss behind the targets?
    Home-made cannon, alright, don't know the specifications for their model, but at bare minimun it would have required a near unmissable stopper capable of absorbing the shot with ease and a cone of "no-one is there" size of more than approximated max range to be anywhere near responsible.

But we don't know them, love them and watch them thanks to their responsible behaviour, do we? =P

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 11:15 PM ----------

Now, looking at the satellite images, that's a lousy place for a bomb range, and if it is really aimed at the direction their misfire fired... that's just horrid design. Quite effective for a hommemade artillery piece, though.
    at least someone gets it

---------- Post added 2011-12-07 at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arog View Post
    If I were the home owner my response would be.. "One night with Kari and all is forgiven"
    truer words were never spoken
    If you love / enjoy WoW in its current state, don't bother with my signature...with all due respect, its not for you. (note: I am happy and respectful though, of your enthrallment with WoW... if not a little envious!)
    My dirty little nefarious nautical profession secret - its where I go to get my fix

Deleted
    obviously i dont know shit about your explosive/firearms laws across the pond, but just 700yards from a population seems awefully close for a bomb range doesnt it? i always imagined them having to be in the middle of no where :\

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If someone had been hurt or killed, i would be saying the exact same thing

adj.
    1. Marked by a lack of responsibility: irresponsible accusations.
    2. Lacking a sense of responsibility; unreliable or untrustworthy.
    3. Law Not mentally or financially fit to assume responsibility.
    4. Not liable to be called to account by a higher authority.
    n.
    1. One who has no sense of responsibility.
    2. Law One who is mentally or financially unfit to assume responsibility for one's actions.
    3. One who is unlikely to be called to account by a higher authority.

The dictionary meaning of Irresponsible, just pointing out that they were not being so there is a huge differnce between irresponsible, and something just going wrong, the cannon had been fired multiple times before, and if you watch the show you see the multiple steps taken to assure safety, the way to take it up slowly, they dont just build it, full power, then BAM, -That- would be irresponsible,

I just find it frustrating when someone says something like this when its completely not true

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone had been hurt or killed, i would be saying the exact same thing
    The fact that someone wasn't in the wrong place in the wrong time, has no bearing here. Massive property damage? Hello? They are extremely lucky that no one was hurt or killed. Take off the blinders, cast away the fanboy-ism, and ditch the tunnel vision.

Horrible location - check
    Flawed math somewhere - check
    Lack of knowledge about what might happen - CHECK

Were talking about a cannon ball here. Thats a 5-8lbs hunk of iron, travelling at 1000 feet per second. Thats enough force to smear you across a wall, and cause the coroners team to have to bag you in little zip-lock baggies instead of a single body bag. To fire that mass that fast, and that far, they would have had to use a more than a nominal amount of black powder / cordite. Someone got overzelous. How hard is this to understand? 50 shots prior. Ok. Out of those 50 shots, how many were a cannon ball? Oh, whats that? You haven't been informed of that yet? Your points are moot then. If in fact, all 50 shots had been a cannonball, the Myst Busters team would have been well aware that their shots could travel far enough to damage property, but since the episode was all about how to fire objects that were NOT a cannonball, I would say that enough test firing wasn't performed with a cannonball. Furthermore, the Myth Busters have a hard track record of making the last scenes of an experiment something over the top, big, and flashy...

A spherical shape, also, does not travel in a strait line when fired. They wobble, and can make sudden changes in trajectory. Thats why we fire conical shaped ammunition, due to the aerodynamics issues with spheres.

In other words - There is a VERY strong chance that someone packed too much powder, and underestimated the full potential of the shot. Ir-re-spon-si-ble. Sound it out.

Just because they have shot / blown things up in the past without incident, does not make them immune to the laws of cause and effect.
    Last edited by Orodoth; 2011-12-08 at 02:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arog View Post
    .. then sue the company for milloinzz!

Gonna be a good episode whenever it's released.

Wow, how lucky are they that no one was hurt!