Ya I was gonna ask you which team you wanted to win: Bulls or Mavs since they're like you're 2 favorite teams. I'd have thought you'd want Chicago to wrack up some wins and try to take 4th seed for home over Nets.

Wish I could have seen the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackyfrost View Post
    duncan came to a championship caliber team from the start. he's never been a top tier player imo, he's always been on that level below them. he's extremely consistent and has a solid all around game, but there is a reason the LOADED teams he's been on EVERY SINGLE YEAR get slapped around in the post-season usually, they have no player like lebron who can just take over on both ends

spurs are a top tier organization but they've been lucky to end up with a LOT of great talent
    if anything, they haven't done enough with the talent they've had.
    1) I don't think the Spurs look 'loaded' if you take away Duncan or Pop. One is so all-around solid as to make a whole raft of bit players into valuable contributors, and the other helps pick and mold guys into those roles. Guys like Danny Green, Greg Neal, and Bonner wouldn't even see the court anywhere else except maybe Miami, because 'Bron has the same impact on those around him.

2) The west is a craps shoot every year- they have 4 teams that could get hot and run the table at any given point over the last 5-10 years. Even last year, the Spurs win that series if Ibaka doesn't go unconscious and shoot 95% for a couple games.

3) Getting lots of great talent implies that they don't depend on luck whatsoever (Outside of getting Duncan in the first place). It's about getting guys that will fit into your system, improving them, and playing by a game plan that makes everyone look as good as they can. How many guys have been traded from the Spurs and looked better in their new home? Maybe Steven Jackson before the fight, maybe George Hill. Hells, they take guys that get CUT from the Cavs and turn them into solid ballplayers on one of the top 3 teams in the league.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

Miami is supposed to play Spurs. Win streak is over? Up against a team we won't beat? K. Mario Chalmers, Wade, James all injured and won't be playing tonights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Miami is supposed to play Spurs. Win streak is over? Up against a team we won't beat? K. Mario Chalmers, Wade, James all injured and won't be playing tonights.
    Or maybe they do it, couse Spurs did the same earlier this year? JUST A GUESS ;-))

And lol @ the best team (and active champion, longest wining streak in the last 40 years, best record in the league atm) in the league with the best active player on the planet "Up against a team they won't beat"

Quote Originally Posted by otyknip View Post
    And lol @ the best team (and active champion, longest wining streak in the last 40 years, best record in the league atm) in the league with the best active player on the planet "Up against a team they won't beat"
    I'll admit Miami had a busy March, but it wasn't as bad as the Spurs schedule.

Let's make a bet. If Miami wins this game and beats Spurs, Skars will step down as moderator. (Wtf it's only fair that Skars places the wager, he's bigger Spurs fan.)

Well the game is actually a little bit balanced, Spurs highest paid player is out indefinitely. So it's not gonna be a COMPLETE rape.

Anyway I came here to talk about this "PER" business. Player Efficiency Rating. Can we come up with our own better statistic? Or one for Defense? (Come on I'm a math minor, I could do these statistics like nothing.)

PER:

Deleted
    You totally blew my mind, I have to admit that. Spurs are great, great, great team, but Miami can beat anyone, what if Lebron gets on fire again and scores like 30 in 15 min, sadly we wont be able to see them in a real fight this year, unless they both reach the finals

Alright alright. These are the stats we need for defensive rating:

Opponents PPG:
    -Fast break points
    -Foul points
    -Points in Paint
    -2 Pointers not in paint
    -3 pointers

# of Fouls Committed

Goaltending

Blocked Shots

Turnovers

Steals

Am I missing anything that could contribute to "how good of a defensive player" rating would need? Maybe we could use that new zone map to determine if these people shooting are having their shots contested or not...I wonder.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'll admit Miami had a busy March, but it wasn't as bad as the Spurs schedule.

Let's make a bet. If Miami wins this game and beats Spurs, Skars will step down as moderator. (Wtf it's only fair that Skars places the wager, he's bigger Spurs fan.)

Well the game is actually a little bit balanced, Spurs highest paid player is out indefinitely. So it's not gonna be a COMPLETE rape.

Anyway I came here to talk about this "PER" business. Player Efficiency Rating. Can we come up with our own better statistic? Or one for Defense? (Come on I'm a math minor, I could do these statistics like nothing.)

PER:

lol heh I don't think I'll be making that bet because more then likely Pop will just rest his players after the 2nd quarter. I wonder if Heat didn't lose to Chicago if they would have sat down those three players I bet they wouldn't. It's just a chess game Pop doesn't want to show the Heat anything and same with the Heat not wanting to show Spurs any game planing they both know that they are the two best teams in the league.

Watching this game. :O Tony Parker and Tim Duncan are pro. Tony Parker just breezed by defenders into the paint. Was crazy.

Ya so I was looking and there's stats.nba.com that shows statistics, but it's so weird. They just choose random weights and shit. They don't even mention John Hollinger PER so it's not official. Hmmm. Come on guys, we can pump out our own stat! Most of the people just care for offensive ratings or "clutch" ratings so I'd try to invent something new that isn't looked at as much. Defense is good but you guys see all those factors, it's hard to judge.

Edit: Maybe instead of an individual stat it'd be better to look at a team stat. And all this talk about "pacing" makes things difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also Blue if I would have made such bet what would have happened if I won lol.

If we won Otyknip would have to admit that Miami Heat isn't as RIDICULOUS as he thinks they are (although they're still monstrous) , and just because they won 27 in a row and are defending champs that doesn't mean they're unbeatable or should get special treatment.

And if he doesn't wanna do that he can get us some Spurs hand towels for $6.95.

---------- Post added 2013-03-31 at 09:14 PM ----------

Fucking Chris Bosh. + That ref on Kawani Leonard foul.

wow the chris bosh 3. Fun game

Deleted
    So, I win.. do you have to admit something, or?

I still don't think Miami Heat are unbeatable. I think they're VERY impressive, though.

*pushes my computer screen off my desk in rage*

Deleted
    Never said Miami are unbeatable, I did said, however, that the best team in the league can beat the Spurs, and they did it without the best player in the game, without d-wade, and without their starting PG.
    Wouldn't have even open the best team theme, if it wasn't for you saying that this is a game the Heat "won't win" ;-)
    Home court all the way.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the Heat just won, nice 3 Bosh. rofl, even without their 3 star players, the bench kept up with the spurs main peoples, even lead the entire game basically. BOssin baby bossin

Miami still had good players who played today, everyone knows they're a deep team. Why would you think it'll be a rape?

I think Miami has the best bench in the NBA, but they were up against a fully healthy Spurs team in San An. (Actually without Manu Ginobli but w.e.) Spurs are like 2nd favorite contender right now, I figured with LBJ and DWade out Heat stood no chance.

Spurs kind of blew it in the 4th but whatever, an L is an L.

10+ Year Old Account
    Same thing happened in Miami I know Miami won the first game but they barley won without the Spurs top 4 players. I'm telling you Pop didn't want to show his hand that's why I didn't bet on the game with real money I knew not to. If they see each other in the Finals it will be totally different games from these first two that we have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    Same thing happened in Miami I know Miami won the first game but they barley won without the Spurs top 4 players. I'm telling you Pop didn't want to show his hand that's why I didn't bet on the game with real money I knew not to. If they see each other in the Finals it will be totally different games from these first two that we have seen.
    what hand? they've not won their conference in 6 fucking years....pop is overrated as fuck and still living off the early 2000s, he's done less with the talent he's had than mike brown ever could and that guy can't get a job

here's the reality of it, spurs haven't won the west since 2007, miami has beaten them 4 times in a row now and bosh has outplayed duncan every single time
    and the spurs don't play d as well as they have in the past

there's a reason miami has the best record vs the west as well as the east, they're the best team in the league by a wide margin. spurs need to win their conference and THEN worry about the finals. they have choked and choked and choked as of late

fergalicious was the top song the last time they won their conference. fuck, c'mon
    spurs fans are about like boston's fans, out of touch with reality